Stopping steam from Auto Updating

After purchasing FM2011 from Steam for 29.99 I'v been unable to play since Patch 2 due to the tactics bug. Feel a little miffed as that money would have been better spent elsewhere and I could then have purchased FM2011 from the bargain bin.

Is it going to be possible for me to redownload the game as it was released and not have it update? I have been advised on the Steam forum that this isnt possible and you can only download the game...then choose to opt out of auto updates.

I doubt this is true though as SI's preferred method or people purchasing the game wouldnt force you to play a broken game so wondered where the option was to stop it from updating to the latest version.

I cant change my tactics mate so I think this is fairly major to be honest. Playing with classic tactics makes it such a chore to save any slight tweaks. SI cant fix everything but I wish they'd keep us posted on the progress of sorting it. Gets you slightly annoyed though when they release an important 'hotfix' for people playing in the Polish league and those who enjoy network games...yet this bug which affects far more people than those who play with those settings get ignored. For a few months anyway.

Anyway Iv talked about this till im blue in the face and this thread is about trying to find ways around it. Thank you for answering this question and this thread can now be closed.

I cant change my tactics mate so I think this is fairly major to be honest. Playing with classic tactics makes it such a chore to save any slight tweaks. SI cant fix everything but I wish they'd keep us posted on the progress of sorting it. Gets you slightly annoyed though when they release an important 'hotfix' for people playing in the Polish league and those who enjoy network games...yet this bug which affects far more people than those who play with those settings get ignored. For a few months anyway.

Anyway Iv talked about this till im blue in the face and this thread is about trying to find ways around it. Thank you for answering this question and this thread can now be closed.

You can change your tactics easily.

All you need to do is make sure that when you change tactics you don't have any instructions visible on the screen at that time.

What I mean by this is that you need to do something like have the pitch view open on the right side and your squad on the left with their condition visible.

If you have team instructions showing (and I believe individual player instructions) then the tactic doesn't change, all you need to do is make sure they are not showing and it works fine.

Stop whining about things and actually read through some of the topics on the bug and you will see dozens of people posting up how to get around the bug.

So will you now kindly either listen to what people have said about the bug?

So will you now kindly either listen to what people have said about the bug?

or....sorry, I thought you were going to say something else? 'Either' listen or...or howabout I post in the bug forum along with the 200 odd other posts expressing displeasure at this bug? Yep, done that.

Take your orders elsewhere mate because I was asking (in this thread) how I could stop auto updating. I got my answer and now wished to have the thread closed (wish heathxxx had done this as opposed to having to censor your post). I also acknowledged that SI cant keep upto date with all bugs in the game and have sympathised with their plight but I did ask if its possible to keep us updated on this issue.

Appreciate your answer on how to resolve it but I did state this in my initial posts but it's a chore for me to do and things can get easily missed - fatal in a game like FM where any slight defficiency in your management is punshed. Besides, anyone who doesent have forum access wont have the foggiest how to overcome this.

However as mentioned, the bug is here, Id like to know the progress of fixing it, this thread has been answered, lock the thread if you wish before anymore numpties wish to take my post out of context.

or....sorry, I thought you were going to say something else? 'Either' listen or...or howabout I post in the bug forum along with the 200 odd other posts expressing displeasure at this bug? Yep, done that.

Take your orders elsewhere mate because I was asking (in this thread) how I could stop auto updating. I got my answer and now wished to have the thread closed (wish heathxxx had done this as opposed to having to censor your post). I also acknowledged that SI cant keep upto date with all bugs in the game and have sympathised with their plight but I did ask if its possible to keep us updated on this issue.

Appreciate your answer on how to resolve it but I did state this in my initial posts but it's a chore for me to do and things can get easily missed - fatal in a game like FM where any slight defficiency in your management is punshed. Besides, anyone who doesent have forum access wont have the foggiest how to overcome this.

However as mentioned, the bug is here, Id like to know the progress of fixing it, this thread has been answered, lock the thread if you wish before anymore numpties wish to take my post out of context.

What is difficult about clicking "positions" and getting it to display the pitch rather than the team instructions? It takes 2 extra clicks of the mouse at most.

Unless you are completely ******** it isn't a problem.

Cheers for your informative reply Maidel.

Well, it's fair to say that anyone who claims the game is broken and unplayable because of the tactics bug is simply a moron or not capable of thinking for himself. Which more or less is the same thing as a moron anyway. We have the usual vocal chav minority on this forum complaining about anything you could think of and it become a little tiresome after a while.

So stop being a member of the vocal chav minority on this forum and use the workaround for the tactics bug.

So stop being a member of the vocal chav minority on this forum and use the workaround for the tactics bug.

I think equally many people here could be tarred with the same brush, why post simply to bash another poster? If it affects you, then fair enough, but it doesnt, so why all the anger?

Well, it's fair to say that anyone who claims the game is broken and unplayable because of the tactics bug is simply a moron or not capable of thinking for himself. Which more or less is the same thing as a moron anyway. We have the usual vocal chav minority on this forum complaining about anything you could think of and it become a little tiresome after a while.

Welcome to the vocal chav minority!

Just in case you don't get the point of this post its to highlight abotu the fact you've come to a thread and not contributed at all, merely to complain about something, which falls under the heading of complaining about anything you can think of... which is what the chavs do ;)

For future reference though, if you use Steam in offline mode it won't update, and if you catch it on Steam I think you can pause updates and they won't resume without your permssion. It's not the best way but its a workaround, if a friend has the disc however you could borrow that and use your own serial and circumvent the issue that way.

Archived