FMH11 Editor

• SI Staff
IS there one yet?

If so where be it found :)

There isn't one at present I'm afraid - they're not really 'official' products to be honest, I generally create them in my spare time and unfortunately at present I simply don't have any (as I'm kinda busy with getting the iPhone game completed at the moment).

I'll do my best to update it and get it out at some point in the near future - but it won't be until after the release of the iPhone game, sorry.

• SI Staff
We knew the psp version would be forgotten about/ no effort

I'm sorry you feel that way - the PSP game has had a lot of effort put into its creation this year and I believe that the prescence of the iPhone game has benefitted it hugely (many of the gameplay tweaks in the PSP game this iteration have come across from the iPhone game); to be honest if I wasn't working on the iPhone game then its very unlikely I'd have been working on the PSP product anyway (as its likely I'd have been off on something else) so the PSP game hasn't suffered from the iPhone game being created and indeed imho its benefitted from it.

As far as the editor goes - that as I've mentioned is something I create in my spare time outside of work hours. I love the games I help to create, however there are practical limits upon what I can do - especially with regards to my (very limited) spare time - do bear in mind on top of my job I do have a wife and 3 kids (plus 4 dogs, 7 cats, 1 pig and 2 goats) to look after.

I have offered to 'open source' the editor for the last two years because I knew my time for updating it was very limited, unfortunately no one with C++ development experience has come forward who was willing to assist with updating it; such is life - I will update it as soon as I have time, beyond that I apologize for any delay and would remind you that you DONT require the editor to edit the FMH database, the editor is purely an add on to make it easier to do - you can easily edit the database using just TextEdit if you so desire, the changes.txt file format is very simple and easy to create.

/me glances up...

I have a little C++ experience with hacking around with a few small open-source projects, and a failed attempt at rewriting one of my python programs, so depending on the complexity of the code I could probably work out what's going on after enough studying, however I have got several GCSEs soon, and as such spare time is limited. I also have a preference to python and would rather code an editor for fun in that language, but like I said, if the editor is open-sourced I would look over the code, and consider helping to update it in my limited time.

• SI Staff

If you PM me an email address then I'll email you an example of the complexity of the project - I'm afraid it might be a little beyond your level though (as some of it is fairly complex hash tabling).

On the other hand even if you don't end up helping with that - I am a sucker for helping new coders learn their trade, so if you want to chat about development thats fine also :D

I'm sorry you feel that way - the PSP game has had a lot of effort put into its creation this year and I believe that the prescence of the iPhone game has benefitted it hugely (many of the gameplay tweaks in the PSP game this iteration have come across from the iPhone game); to be honest if I wasn't working on the iPhone game then its very unlikely I'd have been working on the PSP product anyway (as its likely I'd have been off on something else) so the PSP game hasn't suffered from the iPhone game being created and indeed imho its benefitted from it.

As far as the editor goes - that as I've mentioned is something I create in my spare time outside of work hours. I love the games I help to create, however there are practical limits upon what I can do - especially with regards to my (very limited) spare time - do bear in mind on top of my job I do have a wife and 3 kids (plus 4 dogs, 7 cats, 1 pig and 2 goats) to look after.

I have offered to 'open source' the editor for the last two years because I knew my time for updating it was very limited, unfortunately no one with C++ development experience has come forward who was willing to assist with updating it; such is life - I will update it as soon as I have time, beyond that I apologize for any delay and would remind you that you DONT require the editor to edit the FMH database, the editor is purely an add on to make it easier to do - you can easily edit the database using just TextEdit if you so desire, the changes.txt file format is very simple and easy to create.

@ Marc: could it be done in ExceL? If someone with some knowledge how to work with forms recorded with macros could make use of the data, it would be possible to create a simple editor within excel. I did this once for a project many moons ago. As far as I understand it's just a matter of organizing one's excel work sheet first and then come up with some input method created with the macro tool recording. What do you think?

PS: Is the pig for ham or just to play with?

• SI Staff
@ Marc: could it be done in ExceL? If someone with some knowledge how to work with forms recorded with macros could make use of the data, it would be possible to create a simple editor within excel. I did this once for a project many moons ago. As far as I understand it's just a matter of organizing one's excel work sheet first and then come up with some input method created with the macro tool recording. What do you think?

Someone could easily knock up an editor to write out the text files reliably in Excel, the bulk of the 'complicated bits' in the current editor are to do with reading up existing player names, dobs etc. and making sure they're available easily to the user etc.

It 'might' be possible to do this in Excel - tbh I don't really know if its practical or not as thats not a program I've used hugely in anger myself (I use it for project tracking stuff and suchlike but nothing as complex as trying to implement an editor).

PS: Is the pig for ham or just to play with?

Well my youngest son wanted to name him 'Bacon' after his favourite food ..... but no, he's kinda adopted - not really a pet (a huge pig isn't really something you particularly play with ;) ) ... but not being reared for food either, suffice to say my wife is an animal lover.

Archived