Dynamic PA?

With Dynamic League Rep now being introduced, surely it is time now that SI have a good look at introducing Dynamic PA into the equation. Dynamic PA is basically when a newgen/player doesn't have a fixed PA and is dynamic. That means it can be altered with training, match practice, standard of facilities, standard of manager etc.

An example of Dynamic PA you could say is Bobby Zamora, some might say that someone actually played him and hence he became a better player and has thus improved his potential ability, or even Didier Drogba? Look where he came from and now his world class I bet at 18 he was predicted to be a no-one etc..

On the opposite end of the scale, you could look at an ex Man Utd graduate who has now fallen on tougher times.

So, what are your thoughts on dynamic PA? Bring it in? Leave the game the way it is and how would you implement it?

Always been against dynamic PA. A player has a max potential. Whether he reaches it or not depends on his surroundings. Take Drogba, above. Poor/lack-of scouting led to him being initally undervalued, but his potential was always there, waiting to be tapped. Your ManUre grad was either over-valued from the get-go, or encountered a poor enviornment (or both), but his potential was always the same, waiting to make itself known.

A player's potential is what it is. It is up to the scouts to discover it, and the manager and club to develop the player to meet it.

The exception to this would be if a player was seriously injured. Having torn his ACL, he might no longer be able to reach the heights previously attainable. His potential could drop in some of these situations. I guess one could also make the opposite case for successful tutorage raising PA, but I'd kinda argue against that as well, saying again, that the potential was always there, the tutorage is just helping him realize it.

The FM-generated abberation to all this is the 31-year-old who never reached what he could. Now, he's 140 CA with the now unreachable 185 PA. I wouldn't mind so much if SI came up with a way to realize a player had been hobbled in some way and was now never going to reach his potential, and adjusted his PA accordingly...

I'm not sure that's a fair reflection to be honest. There are some players who don't match up to their potential, whether through a lack of hard work or whatever. There are also some players who do have a limited talent and will never be able to cut it at the highest level no matter what. But there do seem to be some players who are just capable of upping their game. I'm thinking in rare cases of players like Michael Turner. No one would have said he could potentially cut it at the highest level a number of years ago - that's not poor scouting or whatever its just he wasn't showing he was capable of that. Therefore his potential is lower. Since then he has shown that he had more potential than anyone (probably even himself) realised and is now a very good premiership centre half.

In terms of getting it into the game I just don't think it's possible to replicate the infinite number of real life eventualities in a game like this. The fixed PA system isn't perfect, but it's pretty good.

I'm not sure that's a fair reflection to be honest. There are some players who don't match up to their potential, whether through a lack of hard work or whatever. There are also some players who do have a limited talent and will never be able to cut it at the highest level no matter what. But there do seem to be some players who are just capable of upping their game. I'm thinking in rare cases of players like Michael Turner. No one would have said he could potentially cut it at the highest level a number of years ago - that's not poor scouting or whatever its just he wasn't showing he was capable of that...

That would be it, then. A personal revelation of some kind...he was given an opportunity and he launched himself fullbore into it, thus enabling himself to reach the potential that was always there.

edit: heck, I wonder how many real-life "PA 140-160" players have languished in L2 because nobody every realized they had it in them, and the facilities, coaching, and competition in L2 never let them develop...

I think this is muddled thinking.

Current ability is dynamic and potential ability is fixed. It makes absolutely no sense for potential ability to ever change. My grandmother probably has very low PA but by your logic this could be increased by "training, match practice, standard of facilities, standard of manager etc." so she could become as good as Ronaldo? yeah?

The things you mention affect CA - not PA. The system is already dynamic.

I think what you want is less certainty from scouts so it is harder to identify PA - that would make sense.

PA is dynamic, if viewed using the in-game method. If you use an editor or genie scout then moan about dynamic PA, you're an idiot.

This.

Totally agree, without the use of an Editor or Scout Programme you could easily miss a player like Drogba for example and a player could look promising at a young age and then never really develop like you expected him to and 'fall down the leagues' after being released from your club.

Final thought, leave this PA system as it is.

I think this is muddled thinking.

Current ability is dynamic and potential ability is fixed. It makes absolutely no sense for potential ability to ever change. My grandmother probably has very low PA but by your logic this could be increased by "training, match practice, standard of facilities, standard of manager etc." so she could become as good as Ronaldo? yeah?

The things you mention affect CA - not PA. The system is already dynamic.

I think what you want is less certainty from scouts so it is harder to identify PA - that would make sense.

in theory, yes a players PA will always be fixed but the fact is can the reasearchers acurrately rate a players PA? Many players don't show what they're capable of earlier on in their career and as a result will be underrated by scouts and reasearchers. However, once given opportunities there are palyers that will surprise you but can never reach those limits in fm until any following versions which makes it a bit dull.

We can all go and watch real football and see who the breakthrough stars are for a particular season but the version of fm out at the time may not reflect their abilities properly and so we wait until the next game where we knoe they'll be a great young talent. Not having a go at researchers, they do a great job but its just hard to judge a players true PA that would never change.

Archived