Learning languages

Just noticed when idly browsing through my half-English, half-Canadian manager persona that I also had apparently learnt Portuguese at some point. I (rather quickly) guessed that it was through being the Brazil national team manager, but am I the only one that thinks it's slightly weird that a manager can learn a language (at least, to a basic stage) in 5 months without being in a Portuguese country (and with only 1 national game actually played)?

without being in a Portuguese country

I'm managing in England at the same time, so unless I've got my Portuguese midfielder teaching me the language during training it seems odd (to me) that I've learnt it to a basic level when I'm managing full-time in the EPL.

Even if managing another club to think you never set foot in Brazil when you manage their national team is just silly. And yeah, you'd think a manager would go to his Brazilian midfielder for help learning the language.

Bottom line 5 months is pretty quick, but it's not surprising to pickup the language of a national team to manage. Hell, I'm surprised my MLS profile -isn't- learning Portuguese from my 8 Brazilian players.

You'd be surprised at how quickly you can pick up a language, especially with private tuition.

Noob question:

How do you learn a new language from your players? In my team around 50% of them are fluent in Spanish while I can only speak English, tips?

Noob question:

How do you learn a new language from your players? In my team around 50% of them are fluent in Spanish while I can only speak English, tips?

I assume that your team is based in England in which case the players will be learning English to bridge the language gap rather than you learning Spanish.

I assume that your team is based in England in which case the players will be learning English to bridge the language gap rather than you learning Spanish.

Thanks, I am based in England and my players do speak English as well as Spanish, thanks for replying.

Learning languages fast as a manager makes me feel nice and smart...Dutch after 8 months managing the U21 side, Italian after a year in Italy, to add to the English, Portuguese and Spanish already in my repertoire... Maybe I should manage other random U21 sides and aim for fluency in 10 languages, then I'll retire as manager and take a job as global ruler.

Archived