Manager of the year - biased towards the big clubs?

My most recent season (2017/18) has left me wondering if the way the game decides on the manager of the year is biased towards the bigger clubs. Here's how it went:

Winner:

Lothar Matthaus - Manchester City

Premier League: 1st (prediction: 1st)

FA Cup: Winners

League Cup: Quarter final

Champions League: 1st Knockout round

2nd:

Carlo Ancelotti - Chelsea

Premier League: 7th (prediction: 3rd)

FA Cup: Semi-final

League Cup: Winner

Champions League: Semi-final

3rd:

Marco Van Basten - Manchester United

Premier League: 2nd (prediction: 4th)

FA Cup: 5th round

League Cup: Semi-final

Champions League: Quarter final

Ok, now compare that to me. I'm managing little old Derby County, newly promoted to the Premier League.

Premier League: 4th (prediction: 17th)

FA Cup: Semi-final

League Cup: 4th round

How does Carlo Ancelotti get considered ahead of me, bearing in mind Chelsea's massive underperformance in the league? They didn't even manage to qualify for Europe! Indeed, how did he get ranked ahead of Van Basten?

I'm assuming he got massive points for the league cup and champions league performance. But it doesn't seem right. In real life, if a manager got newly promoted Derby champions league qualification at the first time of asking, he would be manager of the year for sure! Add into it a very respectable FA Cup performance.

I know it doesn't mean a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, but it seems the way the game decides on this is way off.

Can you not see the pattern yourself?

It goes off points accumulated over the season for winning trophies and such.

Lothar Matthaus - won league and fa cup

Carlo Ancelotti - League Cup Winner - also Champions League and FA Cup semi

Van Basten - League runner-up.

I agree you taking Derby to a fourth place finish and FA Cup semi should get you into the top 3 but the game only looks at who wins the trophies. Usually League Winner is first, FA Cup winner second and League Cup winner third.

Because all the available domestic trophies were won between the top 2, third place goes to the league runner up, even though your achievement was a lot better.

Can you not see the pattern yourself?

It goes off points accumulated over the season for winning trophies and such.

Lothar Matthaus - won league and fa cup

Carlo Ancelotti - League Cup Winner - also Champions League and FA Cup semi

Van Basten - League runner-up.

I agree you taking Derby to a fourth place finish and FA Cup semi should get you into the top 3 but the game only looks at who wins the trophies. Usually League Winner is first, FA Cup winner second and League Cup winner third.

Because all the available domestic trophies were won between the top 2, third place goes to the league runner up, even though your achievement was a lot better.

I had guessed that was probably how it was done. It just seems in Ancelotti's case at least a bit of a weird way of doing things. Still, I suppose this is one of the things they shouldn't over-complicate, and I know SI would have other priorities when it comes to working on various things within the game.

I had guessed that was probably how it was done. It just seems in Ancelotti's case at least a bit of a weird way of doing things. Still, I suppose this is one of the things they shouldn't over-complicate, and I know SI would have other priorities when it comes to working on various things within the game.

Thats the thing, Ancelotti was only second because the fa cup was won buy the team that won the league. If all 3 trophies would have been won by different clubs, they would have been ordered by importance of the cup but because the fa cup was won by the manager in first, Ancelotti was moved up to second place. This then left a space but with no trophies left so it goes to the runner up of the highest cup which is the league, thats why Van Basten came third.

It really does need to be looked at though especially when if IRL somebody that did what you did, would be pushing to win the thing never mind come second/third.

Archived