A question on AI substitutions?

I am intrigued as to why in FM the AI makes substitutions early on in a game, eg first half, when there are no injuries. Never really paid much attention before but against Liverpool they subbed Benayoun after 20 minutes and Aurelio after 25, neither had an injury. I looked back over the fixtures and it is littered with examples. Possibly tactical but certainly not realistic!!

I am intrigued as to why in FM the AI makes substitutions early on in a game, eg first half, when there are no injuries. Never really paid much attention before but against Liverpool they subbed Benayoun after 20 minutes and Aurelio after 25, neither had an injury. I looked back over the fixtures and it is littered with examples. Possibly tactical but certainly not realistic!!

I think its a bug - I also thought this was fixed in the patch but a few games ago the AI subed a goalkeeper before HT or it may have been at HT and he was not injured either and I have seen outfield players subed after like 20 minutes too. :(

The only thing that bothers me is when they sub their keeper for no apparent reason. Actually I consider any golakeeper substitution to be a bug unless the starter was injured. It doesn't seem to happen that often with 10.3 but it is still not eliminated completely.

I've often seen keepers subbed, even if they have good fitness and aren't having a terrible game.

Also played a game yesterday where the opposition made all 4 subs at half-time, even though they were winning the game 1-0. I could understand if they were 6-0 down and needed to change things.

The only thing that bothers me is when they sub their keeper for no apparent reason. Actually I consider any golakeeper substitution to be a bug unless the starter was injured. It doesn't seem to happen that often with 10.3 but it is still not eliminated completely.

I would extend this to them giving the 2nd choice keeper some match time

Especially if he is complaining about lack of football, or is a youth needing the experience to improve

I would extend this to them giving the 2nd choice keeper some match time

Especially if he is complaining about lack of football, or is a youth needing the experience to improve

Fair enough, but when they do that in a close and/or important game it just looks wrong to me.

I suspect this is down to tactics by the AI manager.

I may have set for example via the player instructions to close a specific player down, sometimes I forget this player has been subbed, often the tactics by the AI manager, may appear to be the same but they've hoodwinked me into not marking or closing down the newer subbed player. I would presume this is an opportunity for the AI manager to make the necessary tweaks for their benefit.

Had long career games in Brazil and Italy, and i can't remember one match where the AI didn't sub in the first half.

Always wondered why, when there's no real need.

Happens a bit too often compared to what we normally see in the footballing world. That's the impression i get about it.

Archived