CB Regens

I'm in 2017 with Spurs, and pretty much all the established stars from 2009-10 are gone. Class centre-backs seem to be at a real premium. There are a load of quality regens who can play in the AM position, and I'm fairly well covered for the future in that position. But there really don't seem to be many good potential CB regens. Not really sure why. There are a few with good tacking, marking, heading and pace, but really poor positioning. I know pace can make up for a lack of positional sense (a la Glen Johnson). Is it worth picking one of these up and waiting to see if positioning goes up with age/tutoring?

That doesn't bode well. Best young CB I can find has 14s for tacking, marking, 16 for jumping and heading, 14s for pace/acceleration but only 8 for positioning. His mental attributes are ok for someone of his age so I might try bringing him in.

I don't appear to be having the same problem as you.

I'm getting quality CB's coming through with pretty good positioning...

Although I can't say there's many with amazing positioning but I'm getting quite a lot of all rounder CB's most of them having positioning around 12,13,14,15.

I'm only in the start of the 4th year though

I use FMRTE to up the positioning and jumping of all CB regens with a PA above 100 by 5 each season. Some may consider it cheating perhaps, but its done right across the board for every single one, and has made the game more enjoyable in the future. I grew so tired of trying to find new central defenders and finding even the very best ones had superb attributes, except they had 3 for jumping.

I've had this problem to. I've found that my regens have excellent attributes for heading, marking, tackling, acceleration and pace, but are let down badly by their positioning and decision making.

Luckily, I emply such an attacking formation that the players positioning is of an almost secondary importance and whilst he will make the odd mistake, he tends to pop up with more than his fair share of goals and has a very good average rating.

just keep in mind that in the best case an attribute can go up by 3-4 points

This is really not true. If that's the most you can shift an attribute, then you're training's really not intensive enough.

look for marking, tackling, acceleration and heading. if at an age before 20 these are 15+ then you are set

This.

Positioning climbs most with age. When the jumping stat was all messed up, it was a big problem because aerobic stats only increase significantly below the age of 24, but positioning can surge at any time, so as long as it's not criminally low (<5) and the player has a decent attitude ( and you have a decent training schedule) you should be able to get it up to scratch. Much like off the ball for midfielders.

Archived