Defenders not marking or going back

Im getting rather annoyed at the amount of times the opposition strikers are 50 yards away from my nearest defenders when I have a corner. All they do is clear the ball pass it to one of two unmarked strikers who can then have a cupa and walk towards goal to slot it home. I ask my defenders to stay back all the time yet they wonder upfront leaving no one to defend. Anyone else noticed this?

But your defenders are usually the better headers of the ball in the team. You want them attacking when you have a corner. The ones defending should be your midfielders. If the opposition strikers are unmarked, that its probably your corner individual settings that need some rejigging.

I leave my corner settings on default and the number of defenders usually outnumber the number of attackers they have, so I'm not exposed when they clear the ball and have a quick counter attack.

But your defenders are usually the better headers of the ball in the team. You want them attacking when you have a corner. The ones defending should be your midfielders. If the opposition strikers are unmarked, that its probably your corner individual settings that need some rejigging.

I leave my corner settings on default and the number of defenders usually outnumber the number of attackers they have, so I'm not exposed when they clear the ball and have a quick counter attack.

That was not the point of this thread. It has nothing to do with my settings at all. Telling players to stay back when they go forward has absolutely nothing to do with my tactic set-up. Even when i have midfielders defending they go up to attack the corner leaving no one to defend. Getting my point now?

That was not the point of this thread. It has nothing to do with my settings at all. Telling players to stay back when they go forward has absolutely nothing to do with my tactic set-up. Even when i have midfielders defending they go up to attack the corner leaving no one to defend. Getting my point now?

I still think its your settings. Because I leave mine on default and I've -never- had the problem you are describing. If telling players to stay back when they go forward has nothing to do with your tactic set-up than what is? There's a blatant contradiction there. You tell your players to stay back, and you are saying that's not a tactical instruction. No, I dont get your point at all.

I think its a mixture of inappropriate or misunderstood instructions to your players which forces the match engine to make do with your tactical instructions and they all end up being up front.

• 5 months later...

<Avantul Calarasi vs Trail Blazers - Live Match - Large Pitch:link#08000006900000000000C00008000000000D99FA00004010000FFFFFFFF030003D99FA000FFFFFFFF3C0000004176616E74756C2043616C617261736920767320547261696C20426C617A657273202D204C697665204D61746368202D204C61726765205069746368010F09DA0713393800?732078342>

I would like to know why Senderos was not being marked by either of my DCs when they are both set to mark tallest and Senderos is the tallest opp player.Is it a bug? In my opinion, yes.

GW - Miller Build - 5653

^wrong forum mate. You might want to try the FM Live area.

Since it's been resurrected, I agree. It is broken in that stay back players can vacate the central area in heading to their nominal area far too readily leaving an unmarked attacker behind. Players should hold until the relevant defender returns regardless of what their tactical instructions tell them they should be doing relative to the ball. How anyone can argue differently is beyond me.

I always tell both my fullbacks to stay back, and have one midfielder set to stay back if needed. I often have a similar problem. The fullbacks stay near the centre circle, while the opposing forwards stay close to the flanks. One good clearance and I'm knackered.

I always tell both my fullbacks to stay back, and have one midfielder set to stay back if needed. I often have a similar problem. The fullbacks stay near the centre circle, while the opposing forwards stay close to the flanks. One good clearance and I'm knackered.

I was just going to ask the same thing ... after yet another game of having two full-backs Stay Back, and the opposition having one striker. Yet that striker ALWAYS get to walk over to a cleared ball without any of the two backs going after him. Yet when the opposition have corners, my striker almost always gets very closely marked by at least one of the defenders, and often never get near the ball.

I am not sure how to tweak my set-pieces formations to compensate for that.

The two full-backs (or whoever I leave back) standing around being idle is a huge annoyance to me. No matter what marking settings they might have, at least one of them should very closely mark the lone striker while the other covers. Even in the Sunday Leagues they know to do that.

i have got to say sorry but i have never ever had this problem i use default settings and they work perfectly.

but obviously if you are directing 1 thing and the players are doing the opposite then there must be a problem with the engine a little bit

I was just going to ask the same thing ... after yet another game of having two full-backs Stay Back, and the opposition having one striker. Yet that striker ALWAYS get to walk over to a cleared ball without any of the two backs going after him. Yet when the opposition have corners, my striker almost always gets very closely marked by at least one of the defenders, and often never get near the ball.

I am not sure how to tweak my set-pieces formations to compensate for that.

The two full-backs (or whoever I leave back) standing around being idle is a huge annoyance to me. No matter what marking settings they might have, at least one of them should very closely mark the lone striker while the other covers. Even in the Sunday Leagues they know to do that.

They might do it in the Sunday Leagues, but they don't do it in Everton blue shirts, apparently, because that's exactly how Berbatov got about three of his chances, including his goal, on Saturday. ;)

i have got to say sorry but i have never ever had this problem i use default settings and they work perfectly.

but obviously if you are directing 1 thing and the players are doing the opposite then there must be a problem with the engine a little bit

My only answer to that is you must not watch a lot of full matches because all though not consistent and requiring a number of things to happen, this does happen I would estimate at least once every 4 or 5 matches for me (not just on my end). Generally occurs after a recycling of a corner as here

Neymar the corner taker has gotten it back after a corner is recycled. Full backs circled red start to spread wide to their nominal positions before the centre halfs circled green have recovered fully leaving it open for one punt over the top (that does not come)

cor01.jpg

cor02.jpg

cor03.jpg

cor04.jpg

In the worst case scenario the stay back players will bomb forward due to their tactical settings (here the FBs are set to RFD rare so they hold their position more or less)

I've had this problem before and fixed it aswell.

For me, I was using full backs to stay back and they had creative freedom on high. Drop creative freedom down, and it works a charm :)

Oh wait, whats the other one... Roam From Position! take that off as well!

Archived