more realistic scouting

so the u-20 wc is happening and i decide to send a scout along just to see if there's any hot shots i wasn't already aware of along

they recommend to me, cesar azipilicueta & david de gea - now this is fine, they're both highly rated prospects, azipilicueta in fact a first team regular for osasuna aready.

but what got my eye looking was that the spain u-20s beat tahiti u-20s 9-0.

went along to the match screen and de gea had a rating of 7.6 for a game he had to make 2 saves in. cesar however, was sent off in the 6th minute and in this 9-0 win there were 3 spanish players with a 10.0 rating, and 2 additional players with 9+s

my print screen button doesn't seem to be working to show various screen shots so you're going to have to take my word on this

now i do genuinely understand cesar and de gea might have far higher PA's, but scouts should work realistically because there's absolutely no way these two are what any scout worth their salt would write back to their manager about

now i do genuinely understand cesar and de gea might have far higher PA's, but scouts should work realistically because there's absolutely no way these two are what any scout worth their salt would write back to their manager about

Ermm, forgive me if I am being stoopid here, but would the scouts not report back if they are hot prospects??

Ermm, forgive me if I am being stoopid here, but would the scouts not report back if they are hot prospects??

His complaint is that the scout reported back on two players that, assuming the scout watched the game, would not be the players to report back on.

One player reported on played for six minutes. The other got a rating lower than half the rest of the team.

It's a glitch in the game to be sure.

I see your point, but I'd rather the scoute came back and recommended players who are good prospects, rather than just some one-hit wonder who scores a hat-trick against Tahiti Under 20s who may actually be a really terrible player.

If scouts did that, you would get hundreds of people posting in this forum that they would prefer scouts to recommend good players rather than players who had one good game.

I see your point, but I'd rather the scoute came back and recommended players who are good prospects, rather than just some one-hit wonder who scores a hat-trick against Tahiti Under 20s who may actually be a really terrible player.

If scouts did that, you would get hundreds of people posting in this forum that they would prefer scouts to recommend good players rather than players who had one good game.

What really needs to happen is the scouting needs to get expanded. Under the current system I agree with you, but in real life scouting a player is much more than watching 2-3 games.

But that's not realistic. When a scout watches a game, he's basing his reports on what he saw in the game. He's not going to be reporting back on how great a guy who got sent off in the 6th minute is.

But if he comes back and tells you to buy the players who got a 10 rating and they are absolute tosh then it's a waste of time even having scouts as you can see ratings for yourself. The scout sees good things in players that their rating in one match doesn't tell you.

But then also a scout in real life is looking at one or maybe two players, and for anyone else to catch his/her eye they would have to do something special. Now while in real life the scout probably would have come back on Cesar that he got sent off in the 9th minute and it would need investigating further if he is liable to the red mist, he would be the player the scout decided to look at anyway. It is when the scout gives multiple reports on the same player when he's on assignment that bothers me, as if I feel he's good enough I'll get a second opinion. I would like a piece of code that implements the following rule: "Don't scout or recommend a player if he already has a report, unless you are specifically asked to". It's a small thing but it would be nice.

Another thing I would like to see is for scouts (especially retired players) to develop relationships with certain clubs and be more likely to recommend prospects for those clubs (just like real life where scouts get better access in some areas due to affinities). An example is that I've Denilson as a scout and he has played in Brazil for Sao Paolo (IIRC a favoured team), Flamengo, Palmeiras and Itumbiara. Now he wasn't at the last three long enough to build up a relationship wiith the club but he should be well enough liked at Sao Paolo to get the inside track. Now this could be hard to code, but it would also make scouting more realistic if implementable.

But if he comes back and tells you to buy the players who got a 10 rating and they are absolute tosh then it's a waste of time even having scouts as you can see ratings for yourself. The scout sees good things in players that their rating in one match doesn't tell you.

I'm not sure how, though, that a scout could see good things in a player who only was on the pitch for 6 minutes before getting sent off.

I'm not sure how, though, that a scout could see good things in a player who only was on the pitch for 6 minutes before getting sent off.

Maybe not, but my main point is that if he just recommends the player who got a 10 then his job is redundant as you could find that out for yourself.

And I agree with that, but cannot believe that the scouting system doesn't require any work, do you?

I didn't say that, of course it could be improved, but not in the way the OP has suggested.

At the moment it's a relatively simple system that is generally pretty useful to us as the manager as my scouts tend to find some gems that I wouldn't see without their reports.

Archived