FM2010, new rivalries?

Skan

Can teams become rivals on FM2010? If not, why?

On one of my games I've been playing as the team I've supported since i was small - Birmingham City and I'm currently in the year 2016, I've managed to finish 2nd last season.

But I've noticed that there hasn't been any new rivalries formed, so I'm guessing that this hasn't been added. This seems awkward as since the start of the game it's been Man City and Arsenal who have been battling for the top spot, but they haven't become rivals which I feel they would naturally.

I agree with this.

I once took Gateshead throught the leagues. They start off with Blyth Spartans as rivals, fair enough, same league, local rivals etc. But it stayed like that all through the save, even when I got to the Premier League and was playing the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough. These should have been in the rivialries section at that point.

I wish this could be added. As a London club who have been challenging at the top of the Premier League for the last 15 years it is a bit annoying that none of the other London clubs have noticed us.

I take it you mean Arsenal. Are Chelsea not down as a rival along with Spurs? I dont think you could count any of the other London teams as rivals

Yep it would be a nice addition, especially in career type saves.

However I don't believe it would quite a simple to implement as someone stated.

Most rivalries are based on the physical locations of the clubs involved, which means the game needs to understand Town A is close to Town B and /or Towns C & D

Competion rivalries that build up over a period of years would need to be tracked seperately, which means a new section of database with its attendant rules, filters and settings, and database programming is never as easy as it first appears.

Yep it would be a nice addition, especially in career type saves.

However I don't believe it would quite a simple to implement as someone stated.

Most rivalries are based on the physical locations of the clubs involved, which means the game needs to understand Town A is close to Town B and /or Towns C & D

The game already has the longitude and latitude coordinates of the city each team plays in so I can't see it being that much more difficult to implement new distance rivalries should a team reach the level of another. Obviously the upcoming team would probably gain rival status before the more established side who wouldn't really care that much at first.

Competion rivalries that build up over a period of years would need to be tracked seperately, which means a new section of database with its attendant rules, filters and settings, and database programming is never as easy as it first appears.

I'd imagine this owuld be the harder bit, but I'd like to think it would be possible and would definitely add to career/long term games a lot.

Archived