Why do players who are told NEVER to take long shots, continually take them ?

So why do players who are told NEVER to take long shots, continually take them ?

I had one man take 8 in one game, none of which were on target :mad:, and yet his slider was set to never take any, so what gives ?

Is it just a case that the ME simply ingores whatever instructions you give to any of your men and plays the game out as it sees fit ? :D

Isn't the slider Rarely rather than never? Not that I am defending the ME, just wanted to point that out. But I also guess that there are a lot of other factors that will determine how much a player will listen to your instuctions. Like Creative Freedom, Free Role. Maybe some of his attributes and personality traits too. If he really isn't listening to you then you should think about selling him, or maybe kicking a football boot at his head might also work (a possible feature for the next version ;))

Like others have said above, check his creative freedom.

Another thing you might want to look at is what is going on around him when he takes the shots. Even if a player is told never to take long shots and is given no creative freedom, if there are no available players for him to pass to then he will often choose to take a shot rather than hold onto it and risk losing the ball.

As others have said its Rarely not Never, but 8 still seems excessive.

What about his PPMs? Does he have tries long shots often?

Does anyone know if maybe telling the player to learn "look for the pass rather then the shot" would work for i presume a midfielder? Or is it more a PPM for strikers?

PPM's and Creative Freedom also have an effect on your players tendency to shoot.

There are a few things you must consider when it comes to long shots. The first thing is that RARELY doesn’t mean NEVER. I know it sounds stupid but you can't expect your player to not take on a long shot ever.

The second point you must consider is that by giving a player a high dosage of creative freedom, you are pretty much telling him to do as he sees fit. If he thinks he's got a good opportunity to shoot, because you told him to do what he like., he will. That's why I consider decisions are important factor in who you give creative freedom to, and not just solely creativity.

To add to all this, if a player is isolated up front, he may have no option but to take long-speculative shots. Adjusting the mentality of the players around him should give him the support he needs.

Consider all these points and decide what the problem is.

I missed a penalty in 5-a-side, the team said I should take one again.

The next time we got a penalty I took it, and missed.

Lesson, people don't always listen to what you tell them.

What? The team said you should take another penalty and you did, and the lesson is that people don't always do what they are told? Good.

Archived