Offsides

I apologise if this has been posted already but at what point did the SI dev and testing team think that having 2 or 3 goals chalked off for offside every single game was a good result for QA? I have tried to persist with the game several times now but its always the same. I assume this is something that is going to be addressed in 10.3?

I apologise if this has been posted already but at what point did the SI dev and testing team think that having 2 or 3 goals chalked off for offside every single game was a good result for QA? I have tried to persist with the game several times now but its always the same. I assume this is something that is going to be addressed in 10.3?

If you are claiming the amount of offsides in FM is not consistent with the real world then what you need to do is go and do some research on the matter using real life statistics and those that you record from FM. Then bring your results, along with your conclusions and present them. If you demonstrate that there is an issue in FM, SI will surely investigate it.

*fanboy ALERT*

FFS, the OP makes a perfectly valid point, although one which has been covered in length many times before.

In real life however, the whistle would have been blown at the time of said incident, rather than half an hour later when the striker is wheeling away from goal in celebration.

I am not complaining about the amount of offside at all - I am railing against the amount of disallowed goals due to offside (and as a seperate point it seems that every goal, defenders are complaining about attackers 'looking offside'). Nor am I complaining about losing matches - it happens as much to the AI teams as it does to me. All I am saying is, to have, at a minimum, two goals chalked off every single game is a touch unrealistic, no?

• 5 months later...

I definitely think there's something wrong with offsides in FM. Not that there are too many (or too many goals disallowed) but that the game doesn't seem to understand (or try to understand) the concept of "having an influence on the game".

I've often had offsides called on players in the middle or on opposite side when I pass to my wings (who aren't offside themselves). This also happens to the AI of course. I've also had an opponent score a goal when he was clearly offside except for one of my players lying down injured on the goal line.

I imagine it's quite hard to have the AI determine when a player is having an influence on game, and maybe SI have decided it was better not to try. I hope, however, it's something that will work in the future.

Cheers,

Svend.

I've also had an opponent score a goal when he was clearly offside except for one of my players lying down injured on the goal line.

That's a correct call. The fact that he's injured doesn't make him not count anymore.

Also, maybe offtopic. but I can surely understand, will the goal be offside. It's how flashing the commentary bar is. There's a pause in half-a-second if the goal is offside. Or that's only on my PC?

but that the game doesn't seem to understand (or try to understand) the concept of "having an influence on the game".

A pc can't "try' to do something, it either does (1) or doesn't (0) do something.

The concept of "having an influence on the game" is a subjective matter, so it can never be implemented correctly, because a computer can't think for itself.

You'd basically have to come up with a set of rules that define influence in the context of offsides. It's definitely doable, but the kind of thing that's hard and — probably more critically — very time consuming to code and test.

One of the reasons there's a lot of disallowed goals is that the move always finishes. One thing you certainly don't see is a player realise he's offside and stop. IRL, this happens all the time.

The constant complaining about every decision is annoying, it makes it impossible to tell when you have a genuine grievance and can do a Fergie at the press conference.

I imagine the off-side rule is too complex to simulate accurately and the game compromises between real life and the limitations of the ME.

A pc can't "try' to do something, it either does (1) or doesn't (0) do something.

The concept of "having an influence on the game" is a subjective matter, so it can never be implemented correctly, because a computer can't think for itself.

What? The computer doesn't just "do stuff". It tries to simulate a real football match. That's a very complicated process in which a lot of things are estimations and prone to inaccuracies that might make it look unrealistic (like when a defender runs slowly backwards just next to the ball even though no one's around until an attacker gets there and picks it up. Surely other people experience that?)

It's a very hard problem to solve. Of course there are rules and guidelines so that referees can make calls that are "objective". Because they are very hard to make they may vary between different referees making them look subjective (or be subjective, if you like). But that's the same as any other referee decision like hard challenges, hand balls and so on. I would hope this one can be solved as well as the other ones in a future version of the game, which I do think is simulating football quite well (much better than the football robots back at my Computer Science department :p)

What? The computer doesn't just "do stuff". It tries to simulate a real football match. That's a very complicated process in which a lot of things are estimations and prone to inaccuracies that might make it look unrealistic (like when a defender runs slowly backwards just next to the ball even though no one's around until an attacker gets there and picks it up. Surely other people experience that?)

Simulating a football match isn't "doing stuff" then? It is indeed a very complicated process that that is supported by a ******** on rules that are put into the game.

It also doesn't "estimate", it only calculates.

Putting more rules in the game to improve offside calls may improve it, but it will never be perfect.

Archived