Why is my FM so slow?

LJ87

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but i will just ask away. I just bought and installed the new fm. The new features are cool but I am frustrated by how slow the game runs on my laptop. it's really letting me down. I'm just wondering what is the "optimal" requirements needed to run the new fm. I'm using a toshiba laptop (duo core processor 2.53 Ghz, 4 GB ram, window vista). Yeah... i'm wondering if theres something i can do to improve the down time. thanks

12 from 7 leagues (as always)

also, can anyone tell me where can i find those... ummm those extra files that i can load to my fm (so i can run fewer leagues on a small database but still get to have a large number of players to choose from)?

12 leagues, 7 nations ???

out of interest is it vista 32 bit or 64?

if you mean the .ddt files, I'm nto sure where they hide now, but when you start a new game, you can customise the db to include certain players from other "non-loaded" places, just select "custom" for your db and youll get the options...

sorry, its been a long day!

The first thing is, vista 32 bit, will not recognise your full spec of ram, it can only use 3 1/3 gb (roughly)

I'll get back to you on what I'm running on my other save, as the one I'm currently playing, only has one active league due to it being a "challenge"

similar system specs though, I believe... 4 gb ram, vista business 32bit, Athloon X2 II 240 porocessor (2.8ghz)

The leagues you run, are they all playable or view only?

right, checked my other save and i have:

England BSP and above

Belgium 3rd div +

Italy c1 +

Scotland 2nd div +

Spain 2nd B +

and that runs very quickly, and I'm into 2021!

I think its probably down to the fact theyre all playable..

What are the "detail level" settings at??

you could try toning them down and see if that helps. Just boost the level of the league you're playing in atm, and change as you move around...

detail level is on the "FM menu" you can customise that for all leagues and national tournaments...

I think I only have England on playable, the rest are view only. I dont tend to have many playable leagues, as I'm not a fan of moving club to club. If it doesnt work out at my first club, that tends to be the end of that particular save lol

lol fair enough!

oh just wondering, do you think it might help if i reformat my computer?

I doubt it tbh. As long as you defrag often (at least once a week) it should keep it working pretty well.

You could try defragging, and cut down on other progs you use at the same time as FM, but apart from that, the only other obvious thing is to cut down on your playable leagues. (clearly not an option for that particular save)

Other things to do are reduce active processes, turn off things in MSCONFIG (type into search for vista in start menu)

Turn off anything that is not needed, google to see if it is needed. Aim for less than 60. Also try turning off things that use RAM like backgrounds, windows themes, sidebar etc (mine looks like windows 95). There are many forums out there with some great opotomising tips to eek the best out of your PC (was essential for gamers using XP with the minimal processing power we had 5 years ago).

Defrag with a downloaded program such as smartdefrag with its optomisation options (be patient) also clear things out with Ccleaner, do the registry also!

Scan for malware etc too and do a virus scan. After all this and you are still having problems let us know

I have an i7 liquid cooled system with a solid state drive, I easily run 40 leagues, its bliss! I have optomised it and overclocked it, but I am a bit of a n**d :)

i think i might actually reformat my laptop - to start everything from scratch. rinso, i'm just wondering if its better to use 32 bit or 64 bit?

how old is yer laptop?

I would hope most of your hardware is 64-bit compliant, but it depends on how old the build is... If youre able to, then 64-bit is definitely the way forward

i bought my laptop last may.

i'm running the recovery wizard. Since it gives me the option to choose which operating system i prefer, i'd assume it should be compatible with both no? lol

sorry about that - i'm not really good with computers n stuff

i'm running the recovery wizard. Since it gives me the option to choose which operating system i prefer, i'd assume it should be compatible with both no? lol

you would think so, but unfortunately, that means using common sense, and thats somethin that goes out of the window when pc's are involved... usually followed shortly afterwards by the pc....

I suppose you could try it and see what happens?! I really dont know myself, as my vista is only 32-bit version (bought on day of release)

I spose you could give us your dxdiag (start > dxdiag) info and I could have a look see if its compliant....

The risk with the set-up giving both options is.. the software is compatible for both, but some hardware isnt...

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but i will just ask away. I just bought and installed the new fm. The new features are cool but I am frustrated by how slow the game runs on my laptop. it's really letting me down. I'm just wondering what is the "optimal" requirements needed to run the new fm. I'm using a toshiba laptop (duo core processor 2.53 Ghz, 4 GB ram, window vista). Yeah... i'm wondering if theres something i can do to improve the down time. thanks

If you have a virus scanner run it to see if anything odd turns up. If its running normally anyway when you boot up then you could try setting up some exclusions so that it ignores any sports interactive\football manager folders that the game accesses as this can sometimes slow things down.

Just dont run a virus scan etc while playing FM, see what you can turn off while playing, it can alway help.

Modern software is become more hungry (as PCs improve). Older systems struggle to cope with multiple programs running, even those in the background. I see a lot of people with systems they have bought, installed lots on to but never even spared a thought to doing even basic housekeeping... Those are the ones who think 2 years later they need a new PC when actually a few hours work can turn their PC back to the speeds they had when they bought it, all without a reinstall, reformat or anything else drastic. The problem is a lot of people just dont know how much they can do.

I have fixed over 3 of my work collegues laptops (some systems that are at least 6 years old), got them running up to date XP with all the security they need and running faster and better than their vista systems at home!

The moral is "invest the time and you will get it back two fold" (sounds nice, might not be totally true :) but worth a go to see)

i reinstalled my windows using 64 bits. the most noticeable difference is now i get five stars for both computer performance and estimated game speed, where before i only had half a star. so all is good.

just one more question, i updated the patch 10.1.1, but i noticed that it was installed to "C:/program files/sportsinteractive/.../updates" whilst my fm is inside the folder "c:/program files (x86)/sports interactive". however, it reads "version 10.1.1" on fm front page. so does that mean fm patch is updated successfully?

thanks

Sorry but I fail to see why it is fast on mine and slow on his maybe I have missed something :confused:.

Not everyone has the software to run Football Manager. It's a pretty powerful game with all the data.

I had a poor gaming experience with FM08. It just wasn't up to running such a powerful game so I got myself a new computer. I needed one anyway to be honest.

Archived