sorry...ANOTHER steam-related thread

Before anyone says I have searched the forums to fix my problem but I could not find sufficiant information to help me :s

Now for some stupid reason when I bought the game I decided to install it with steam...

And it's all been OK, (other than the fact that it didnt update a patch for me which I was to believe was one of the soul purposes of having this useless program) until today when I decided to open up FM10 and it was telling me to login to my steam account... OK, done that.... then it tells me i can't login as it won't connect... even thought there are no issues with my internet connection. So I hear you can run this game in an offline mode, although I get no option to do so as it wants me to login?

To put it short, how the **** are you supposed to play the game? I just want to play a game that I bought with my own hard-earned cash on a Sunday afternoon, but this is preventing me from doing so...

Sorry to sound arsey on a first post but it really does **** me off no end.

then why not play with the disc instead of steam :S
i installed via steam like i do most of my games,but having a large friends list on steam puts me off playing it that way,everyone talks to me during the matches,hence the reason i don't play through steam with FM.

I thought the OP did have the disc btw,he said he installed via steam and not DL via steam,so my mistake i guess.

What proof do you want jamie ? i am running FM10 without steam open or running = fact

as long as you have the disc in the tray then all you need to do is follow this path and FM10 will run without steam.

program files/valve/steam/steam apps/common/FM10

then double click the FM icon

Well I would uninstall and select the disk option, but I have been playing a game for the last couple of weeks and don't want to lose it. More to the point, why do they encourage the installation through steam, and yet to masses of criticism from everyone as it doesnt work correctly or so it seems...

ok.....THIS IS RIDICULOUS......

I just went to uninstall the game in my control panel, and as I selected uninstall, it TRIED TO LOGIN TO ****ING STEAM! I can't even uninstall the bloody thing, as obviously it wont let me into steam. So its as if I'm completely stuffed...

I'm having the same problem. I refuse to uninstall my game too in case I do corrupt the save like the fella above me has. How else do I play the game?

Trying to play it by searching "Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\football manager 2010" doesn't work either as it still tries to log in to Steam.

Quite frankly it's disgusting customer service.

I haven't bought the boxed game and then used steam so I'll ask this first. When you choose to install via Steam do you then download via steam the way those who bought the game via steam do. If yes you need to uninstall via steam aswell.

In "My Games" right click on FM2010 and "delete local cache" , this will uninstall and will leave your save game in tact.

For TaylorsMen the fact it works for you launching without steam is because you have your disc in the tray. With this years version you cannot load the game without Steam. Don't blame SI or Steam for this, blame the thieves who pirate PC games!

find the steam folder in your progamme files and hit delete - just dont delete the steam apps folder (That should have all the game stored in it.

Then redownload and re-instal that way.

I dont know for 100% certain this will work - but hey - if nothing is working, I cant make it worse :)

well i ended up geting the whole lot off my system and starting from scratch again, but now when i load it up, it won't let me load my saved game.....gets halfway into loading and says it can't open it :( :( :(

Have you patched the game after re-installing from the disk? As the disk version is unpatched whilst steam would have patched the game automatically.

If you apply the patch you should be able to load your save game.

You can't. You have to log in to do it, and I can't update Steam as i'm getting 'Error 1316'.

I've been trying all morning and i've given up, refuse to buy another SI product again.

Sorry, we posted at the same time and I didn't know you couldn't even log into Steam. Definately a problem with the Steam installation rather than the game. Only thing I can suggest if you can't uninstall steam via control panel is contact Steam themselves. But I've just had a look at mine and I am pretty sure if I wanted to I could uninstall using control panel. Is this the way you tried? It didn't ask me to log in first

well i ended up geting the whole lot off my system and starting from scratch again, but now when i load it up, it won't let me load my saved game.....gets halfway into loading and says it can't open it :( :( :(

Sounds like your new installation is unpatched, have you installed via steam again? If not and you have the boxed version installed you need the patch. Save games are compatible as much as you can use a save game on a newer version, so a 10.0 save game will work on 10.1 but not the other way round. What version of the game is on the screen when you launch your game? Pretty sure you have the unpatched version and your save game is patched. Installing the patch will make your game work again, pretty sure.

Right I found a solution thanks to Firgof Umbra on the Steam Community:

Delete the clientregistery.blob and the appupdate.blob.

Then close Steam if it is open, open Steam, and let it grab the update again.

You will then be online.

Do this, then open steam, it'll update, then you log in, and it should be working again. It's becoming a massive pain to use though. Steam should have been ditched for this years game, amazed SI are still using it when it's clear their are so many problems with it.

But its not everyone who has problems, I have over 40 games with them and have never had a problem at any time. Also remember Steam are a retailer not a part of SI. If you bought a CD at a retailer and the service wasn't what you expected from the shop, would you complain to the artist who recorded the CD or would you complain to the retailer?

Why complain at SI when your problem was Steam? You wouldn't expect SI to stop GAME from selling their products.

Im having a problem with steam too. I brought the game online the other day but now i cant actually download it because it everytime i try to log into steam it tells me that "we're unable to connect to the steam servers". There's no problem with my internet connection. Any idea why this might be? I'm not an expert with computers in any way whatsoever. But I'm reasonably compentant. There's no firewall blocking or anything like that.

Archived