Interesting idea for how to make press conferences exciting

I think SI are in a bit of a bind with press conferences. As they are set up now, they will ALWAYS be repetitive, because there's only so many different questions you can put in, unless you want to spend all the development time working on press conferences. It seems the main problem isn't the amount of questions and answers, but the fact that there seems to be one (or two) right answers for any given question, and once you figure that out, it just becomes mindless busy work.

I was playing Championship Manager 2010 for the iPhone last night (OK game, nothing special), and they have an interesting concept in there for press conferences. For each question, there are a set of answers, with each answer giving a certain bonus in your approval rating from a certain group (the board, press, players, or the media) but also a negative penalty for a different group. I know this seems a little gamey at first, and not really a simulation type approach, but I think it would be a great addition to FM 2011. Instead of one right answer, it really forces you to choose what groups are most important to you (or you can attempt to balance everyone out). I think this is true to simulation, as there are no "right answers" in real life (if you give the PR answer, then you will probably annoy the media or even the fans). There could be different ways to implement this system, but I think it would make press conferences actually mean something to the player, and dare I say...fun?

Sounds good. ;)

If you got enough bonus in a certain area, you could use it to buy new shorts for your players that gives them +1 for pace. :thup:

Just pulling your leg, Sounds far to gamey for me, i'd give anything like that a wide berth.

Press conferances would be so much easier if they just wrote out all the questions and you could then tick the answers all in one go

1) Question 1 XXXXXXXXXXX

A) XXXXX B) XXXXX C) XXXXXX D) XXXXX

2) Question 2 XXXXXXXXXXX

A) XXXXX B) XXXXX C) XXXXXX D) XXXXX

Etc

It just seems so time consuming and laborious to have to wait for each question. Might just be me.

I can understand people's concerns. At the same time, I almost feel like SI should either decide to go all out with the feature or scrap it altogether, because it seems as if almost no one actually enjoys or gets anything out of press conferences. We need some type of nuanced system where there is no one "right" answer, but questions that really challenge you. If the other system sounds "gamey", here are some ideas that could be implemented:

- Questions dependent on club or board reputation. For example, if you are coaching at Barcelona or Real Madrid, and winning, but the board is coded to want "sexy football". After grinding out the fifth 1-0 victory in a row, you are asked about whether you will continue in your tactics or play more expansive in the future to please the board (and the fans). You could answer that you will play as you damn well please, probably improving the morale of determined and loyal players since you stood your ground, but annoying the board (not too much, though, I don't want people getting sacked for this, only if they start losing as well, it would add to the discontent) and maybe some of the more flair-type players. This is a real-life challenging situation, where there is no one right answer, and there could be various answers in between.

- Questions about tournament prioritizing and squad rotation. You are Aston Villa, for example, and you put in your reserve players and lose a key game. The press ask you if you will prioritize future Europa cup games or continue to place more value on the league. Your answers will have varying results on the board, fans, and players, depending on how far you are in the competition, and what their ambitions are.

- Players themselves can make comments to the media, if they are the more flamboyant or outspoken type. Think of Keane saying that Tottenham were a better team before the Arsenal match. You would then be asked about his comments in the press conference and have to either defend his point of view and thus hype up both teams, or play down the comments, possibly annoying the player, but avoiding motivating the other team (though it could motivate your own team as well).

Those are just some ideas of how press conferences can be made more interesting.

The only press conferance I do is the new signing one. That, despite being boring and repetative, is very important for me because only me (not my assistant) actually knows WHY I signed that player (ok, sometims even I dont know why I signed him - there isnt an option for 'he has the same name as me!!!).

If I let the assistant do it, he will probably say all my expensive signings are 'for the future' and all my youth players are 'important match winners'

The only press conferance I do is the new signing one. That, despite being boring and repetative, is very important for me because only me (not my assistant) actually knows WHY I signed that player (ok, sometims even I dont know why I signed him - there isnt an option for 'he has the same name as me!!!).

If I let the assistant do it, he will probably say all my expensive signings are 'for the future' and all my youth players are 'important match winners'

Agreed. Also, I like to to say mean things as add-ons to questions like, 'that sounds like a really stupid question,' or, 'I would expect you to say something like that.' I am following in the steps of the great American college basketball coach, Bobby Knight...lol

I can understand people's concerns. At the same time, I almost feel like SI should either decide to go all out with the feature or scrap it altogether, because it seems as if almost no one actually enjoys or gets anything out of press conferences. We need some type of nuanced system where there is no one "right" answer, but questions that really challenge you. If the other system sounds "gamey", here are some ideas that could be implemented:

- Questions dependent on club or board reputation. For example, if you are coaching at Barcelona or Real Madrid, and winning, but the board is coded to want "sexy football". After grinding out the fifth 1-0 victory in a row, you are asked about whether you will continue in your tactics or play more expansive in the future to please the board (and the fans). You could answer that you will play as you damn well please, probably improving the morale of determined and loyal players since you stood your ground, but annoying the board (not too much, though, I don't want people getting sacked for this, only if they start losing as well, it would add to the discontent) and maybe some of the more flair-type players. This is a real-life challenging situation, where there is no one right answer, and there could be various answers in between.

- Questions about tournament prioritizing and squad rotation. You are Aston Villa, for example, and you put in your reserve players and lose a key game. The press ask you if you will prioritize future Europa cup games or continue to place more value on the league. Your answers will have varying results on the board, fans, and players, depending on how far you are in the competition, and what their ambitions are.

- Players themselves can make comments to the media, if they are the more flamboyant or outspoken type. Think of Keane saying that Tottenham were a better team before the Arsenal match. You would then be asked about his comments in the press conference and have to either defend his point of view and thus hype up both teams, or play down the comments, possibly annoying the player, but avoiding motivating the other team (though it could motivate your own team as well).

Those are just some ideas of how press conferences can be made more interesting.

Very intelligent ideas. SI should perk their ears up at this. :thup:

Personally, I love the concept of press conferences. It's such an important (yet I'm sure reluctant) part of a REAL football manager's life that they need to be kept in the game. I myself would be sad to see them go.

I think it basically boils down to two differing camps:

Camp 1 are those who embrace the idea of Press Conferences and would love to see the idea evolve (ie the OP).

Camp 2 are essentially haters of the idea who loathe the repetition PC's bring.

In order to please both camps I think it's inevitable SI should make Press Conferences optional for FM11. (ie turn 'em on or off) However more importantly, I believe they should continue to develop and improve the functionality of PC's for those (like me & many others) who immerse themselves into them.

I like the idea of players talking to the media, like Craig Bellamy being outspoken. I haven't really thought about it, but it would be good if somehow you can stamp your own personality into the conferences. It would be great to be able to be like Mourhino, SAF, or bland like David Moyes. Depending on your own personality or alter-ego. Your answers should have an affect on the board as well if you're outspoken and openly criticse them or players.

Archived