How i speeded up fm2010 on my 4yr old pc

if you find that your pc becomes delayed after a while or your get messages about your virtual memory being low whilst playing fm 2010. Here are a few things i did to improve the running of my game as i only have 512 ram and it was becoming really delayed just clicking around on the game.

first off this will not increase the speed of processing results as this will be to do purely with the ability of your processor also if you have over 1024 ram or have a medium to high end machine this advice will not help you.

what these 4 steps will do (look below) is stop delayed screen changes when you are moving around the interface of the game e.g clicking on a players profile mostly it will delay on older systems as it takes a few seconds for the page to load or during a match it can lag when you wanna click around looking at stats or want to change tactics.

also once you have been playing for a few hours or so the overall game can tend to slow down completely as all the virtual memory and lack of ram goes into overdrive causes the whole system to run like it has a serious virus.

the 4 things i did to improve the overall running of fm2010

1)run error checking- my computer- right click on drive c - properties - tools - tick both options and let the pc restart and scan/fix (this took nearly an hour on my pc but it is well worth doing)

2) mycomputer - control panel (switch to category view) - sytem - performance (click settings tab) - then click advanced at the top - click on change virtual memory- increase the amount and increase the size of the memory in this section for e.g mine says recommended 766 mb i moved it up to 1100 mb (dont use all the space as you need to leave some for the windows files to operate correctly)

3)http://www.freewarefiles.com/RAMPro_program_50020.html

download that tool its free

but dont load up rampro (if it has loaded up automatically close it down) as you need to press control alt delete (windows task manager) and close any .exe files you dont need to be running under the processes tab.

4)then load up rampro and see how quickly it frees up ram on your system and also how efficiently it frees it up from all applications then load football manager and should be running alot smoother.

p.s when playing fm2010 on a low end machine have as few applications as possible running.

Thanks for the tips. Mine was running very slow last night so i was just gona reinstall it and see if that made any difference, but i will do the things you've mentioned first

let me know how u get on cos its really improved my experienced on fm2010.

Remember however, that virtual memory is not nearly as 'fast' as physical memory as it takes the computer much longer to fetch stuff from virtual memory. The best thing to do if you're running out of memory is to buy more physical memory

If you only have 512mb ram then I think the best thing you can do is purchase more ram. 2GB should be enough. That way you don't have to go about messing with virtual memory settings.

Vista/Win7 users (who probably have more than 512mb RAM anyway - or I would hope so) be aware that Windows is much better at allocating RAM (mostly), so it's not necessary to mess around with your virtual memory settings.

And allocating more virtual mem is a recipe for disaster if you don't know what you're doing.

I also would not touch any 3rd party RAM management apps tbh.

I work in IT and I would not recommend using 3rd party programs to manage your RAM unless you know what you are doing and even then I wouldn't do it :D

im not an expert but as long as i can run fm2010 quicker I couldnt give a f***. its free so no harm done as far as im concerned, plus i put the post up just saying how i speeded up the game on my machine so im happy

I use Avast, as was recommended to me by some kind soul on OTF. Have never looked back and wouldn't even know it was there tbh.

Also, as has been said, never bother with 3rd party software to improve system performance as you could quite realistically jeopardise your PC/Laptop. The most effective way to improve the speed and performance of Football Manager is to install more RAM. It's as cheap as chips these days as well.

"As cheap as chips" - first time I've ever used that :D

Archived