How does everyone like the match engine?

Overly prolific striker scoring and long shot issues aside (things that I think SI are aware of, and will work on for the next patch), how do people like the "feel" of the new match engine? I'm really trying to like it, because I love the flow of the rest of the game, but there is something that I can't put a finger on which feels off about it. I'm using the pre-fabricated tactical setups and player roles provided by SI (love the touchline shouts!) and there seems to be less variety, or something, to the movement of the players and the ball. I watch the matches in full, and the majority of the evenly-matched games involve the ball more or less pinging around the different players, and spending about 50% of the time in the air, being headed back and forth. Even the technically inferior full-backs play amazing one-touch passes across the field "on the dot" to their fellow teammates. I watch the match in 2d, and FM09 I could "picture" the players do the things that the dots did - but I find it hard to picture a realistic match based on the actions of the players in FM10.

I tried using the "retain possession"/"pass to feet"/"shorter passing" setup, but there is still a bit too much directness and urgency in the players. Speaking of which, even with the "work ball into the box" shout and "standard" or "control" tactic, my team plays a very direct game, with defenders often pinging the ball to the forwards when I would prefer them to slow down and spread the ball more laterally, to drag the opponents out of position. Again, it may indeed be my tactics - so if you do find that your team is playing a very pleasing way, and manages to control play and spread the ball around at a normal tempo, what is your tactical setup? (I play as Chelsea, by the way)

I like the new match engine, I still only use it for goal replays though as I am impatient and like to get on with the game. I still dont like seeing the player turn 360 degrees on the spot, too me that makes the engine feel lazy.

After playing some matches I came away disappointed by one major issue of the ME.

No players steal the ball from other players. There is no pressure at all, regardless of the settings.

The highlight only ends by a missed chance and sometimes a misplaced shot or a deflection. No player actually loses the ball to another while in control of it, like in FM09. Also, players don't seem to tackle. I mean, there is no graphical representation of a tackle during the highlights.

This is a major issue for me, thus I can't enjoy the game. It completely shutters the immersion.

I hope the above will get fixed. I wonder how SI missed this.

No pressure, no aggression, woeful tackling.

To be honest, this match engine in my very very honest opinion is worse than FM09.

Like TSH, I feel like I am playing a game with life-less drones.

FM has always had me emersed in the game, now I feel like I am playing FIFA Manager.

Something needs to be done, and urgently.

I really don't want to wait till January for SI to fix this.

The average fan will like the match engine, I do not.

After playing some matches I came away disappointed by one major issue of the ME.

No players steal the ball from other players. There is no pressure at all, regardless of the settings.

Thats odd, because I am seeing my players make tackles and win the ball from opposing players quite often! I DO agree though that closing down needs looking at, especially in the final third.

Thats odd, because I am seeing my players make tackles and win the ball from opposing players quite often! I DO agree though that closing down needs looking at, especially in the final third.

if they tackle, put pressure and close down al the time; how do you expect to see goals. Defenders must make mistakes just like in real life so there will be goals otherwise we can only see long range shots going in which then will be blamed on GKs

Archived