Newcastle City 2010 - The Blog

I've really enjoyed my long running game in FM09. I like to set up fictional scenarios and then play them out. What if Rangers and Celtic moved to the English Championship? What if a Euro League was set up with all the top teams in? What if Bill Gates bought Dagenham and Redbridge and gave them a bit of extra pocket money? The data editor allows us, to a greater or lesser extent, to try these things out. If you're of those people who simply say "data editor? it's only used for cheating!" then please, please try to broaden your mind, let your imagination run free.

In FM09 I looked at how the big money men were pumping money into the likes of Man City and thought - what if someone with billions came up with a longer term strategy. What if someone with all that money created a brand new club from absolutely nothing. They start at the bottom of the non league divisions, build a fantastic stadium, a state of the art training centre and youth facilities then say "I'm sure we've forgotten something.... oh yeah staff.. What did you say?? players?? oh yeah we'll need some of those too."

We've seen similar exercises in recent years, but without the great wads of cash. Think AFC Wimbledon, think FC United of Manchester. They didn't have massive funding but what they both have are a good number of fans who felt aggrieved with 'other' clubs and wanted to start afresh. So what scenario could I think of? I'm a Newcastle United fan (the fact that you winced then makes my point). It's not easy but we hold on for dear life in the hope that our club may one day stop kicking itself in the face. Also, Newcastle and Leeds are in the top 10 cities in England by population, yet they are the only 2 cities in that top ten that have one club. Hmmm, a one club city... a whole load of really fed up football daft supporters, I can see a plan forming!!

So in FM 2010 I intend to recreate the scenario. Pete Glenn retires from the software industry (it's a tough life being a software billionaire... just ask Mr Collyer) with a spare £1billion burning a hole in his pocket. He forms Newcastle City and spends £350 million on a new 85,000 all seater stadium. He installs himself as manager (well, you would wouldn't you??) and starts to interview for an assistant, preferably someone with more experience than him and preferably someone who happens to know 11 players that would be willing to sign within the next 3 weeks. All aboard ..... let the rollercoaster of football take you on a ride. Thrills and nausea in equal measure!

See whether Newcastle City can eventually place a Champions League trophy in that highly polished cabinet before the bank calls in the bailiffs at the blog.

http://ncfc2010.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Pete

Looking forward to following this.

I once gave Weymouth a shedload of cash and just left it on holiday for a few days. Checked back to see what happened, can't have been anything too spectacular as I can't remember the results. Although I have an inkling Kieran Dyer played for them quite low down the football league structure at one point.

Good luck to the OP and I'll definitely bookmark your blog :-)

• 1 month later...

Archived