important mental...

My top five would be:

. Anticipation

. Composure

. Decisions

. Off the ball

. Positioning

However the central defense is a partnership with each CB complementing each other so that would be a Rio Ferdinand / Franco Baresi type CB quite graceful and reads the game well and very comfortable on the ball.

My top five for the other CB as it is a partnership would be:

. Aggression

. Bravery

. Determination

. Team Work

. Work Rate

This CB would be the Nemanja Vidic / Carlos Puyol. A determined grafter sort of indivudual, never gives an inch and will win every 50/50.

Some people forget that like a strike force, the two CB's have to work together in a partnership!:) This is based on MENTAL attributes as you asked. For me having two CB's that are similar is like having two big power houses up front or two small skillful speed demons, they will not gel together. The theme of today is: an effective partnership! lol :D

I would go for aggression, bravery, concentration, anticipation, teamwork with positioning being almost too obvious to add it to the list.

Off the ball is an attacking attribute (it's pretty much 'positioning' in attack) and thus not important for a CB.

I would go for aggression, bravery, concentration, anticipation, teamwork with positioning being almost too obvious to add it to the list.

Off the ball is an attacking attribute (it's pretty much 'positioning' in attack) and thus not important for a CB.

Yes concentration is pretty important too...

Sorry if I'm about to repeat what's been said, but I just wanna add my thoughts.

My most important attributes for a DC are:

Anticipation

(One of the most important things for a DC is to be able to read the play. Poor anticipation means the defender is always behind the play, and strikers will take advantage of this)

Bravery

(If this is low, the player won't block shots, and sacrifice himself for the team)

Concentration

Decisions

Determination

(if these are low, players will make mistakes that will lead to goals against)

Positioning

Marking

Tackling

(The basics of defending)

And then you need physical and technical attributes to match your tactics. This usually means good jumping and heading, good pace if you like to push up the field, good technique, passing, composure, and first touch if you want your team to play possession football and you want your DCs to be involved in that. And finally, you want strength and balance so you don't get outmuscled by strong players, and you want agility so you don't get outmaneuvered by the quick, nimble players.

All in all, there's a ton of stuff that matters of course.. :) Hard to be concise because what situations you'll face the most is determined by the overall quality of your team, and the tactics used by you and your opponent.

Archived