World player of the year vs World footballer of the year?

What is really the difference?

As far as I know, there are 3 awards for the top players of the game:

World player of the year - Voted by the media?

World footballer of the year - Voted by international managers?

European footballer of the year - Voted by some french magazine?

But what is the difference, seems to be mainly the same players in the history anyway.

Also, as manager of Argentina, I saw only one player from a spanish team in the 35 man shortlist for voting for the world footballer of the year, something isn't right there surely .. since players like messi, villa, ramos etc are dominating.

Can somebody clarify?

I know one of the awards is actually called "Club Footballer of the Year", meaning performances for the players' national team aren't considered.

The other one might only be based on national team performances but I'm just speculating now.

What is really the difference?

As far as I know, there are 3 awards for the top players of the game:

World player of the year - Voted by the media?

World footballer of the year - Voted by international managers?

European footballer of the year - Voted by some french magazine?

But what is the difference, seems to be mainly the same players in the history anyway.

Also, as manager of Argentina, I saw only one player from a spanish team in the 35 man shortlist for voting for the world footballer of the year, something isn't right there surely .. since players like messi, villa, ramos etc are dominating.

Can somebody clarify?

I think they're both the same :thup:

One award is voted on by managers of National Teams (letting human managers vote in the game as well) while the other seems to be based on a combination of average rating and reputation. Performances in the World Cup and European Cup seem to be weighted higher in the calculations for each award as well, the Cannavaro effect if you will.

The awards don't work on this game, i won the treble with Lazio - champions league, leauge and coppa italia and not one of my players won an award or got into any teams of the year, even the Serie A awards.. stupid

Archived