Two sides to a season... I need help!!

I really dont get how this happens, but every season my teams form seems to slump after Xmas and I've completely ran out of ideas as how to fix it! Its only because I've managed to amass a huge points total in the first half of the season that I'm able to save relegation/manage a playoff place. Proper Hull City Style!

Completed the first season in the EPL with Havant and Waterlooville (managed to get them there after 15 years hard graft!) and finished 17th, 4 points off the deadwood zone. After being 10th at Xmas, we went on an eleven game winless run. Ok, granted we managed to pick up a few one pointers along the way, but its a far cry from what I was achieving earlier in the season. My team managed to beat Chelsea and Man Utd in consecutive matches, and then HAMMERED Newcastle 1 - 7. But being beaten at home by Wigan, who were already relegated after 28 games, with them on a 22 game winless run... i was nearly at the end of it and was getting to throw my computer out the window!

1/3 of the way through of the new season and performing brilliantly again. My Team is now 6th after 11 games (4th if we win the game in hand). But I'm looking to see if I can counter move the inevitable slup as Xmas is just around the corner.

If anyone could please shed some light at all on this I would be very grateful...

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad Brad

PS:- Does anyone else get just as frustrated with this game???

Short of a tactical/player overhaul, there isn't much you can do. In essence you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You could change tactics, but it will take time for the team to settle in with these tactics, and quite possibly the same amount of time it would take them to get out of this rut. :rolleyes: If I were you i'd stick with what i've got and keep my fingers crossed that they find form again, sooner rather than later,

Yes, I do too get frustrated by the game when things don't go the way I want them to. I'm playing with TOP Oss (Dutch 2nd division irl). Joined them in the season 2012/2013 and in that season I finished 19th out of 20 as the team was serious crap. Got a little better along the way and promoted in the season 2015/2016. In my first season in the Eredivisie (highest dutch division) I finished 13th out of 18, in the second I became 9th and then 13th again and now, in my 4th season in that division: 16th after 28 matches and 4 points behind #15. And that's with a team comparable to the one which is currently in 9th (Heracles)... Changed my tactics about 8 matches ago and actually got a few nice results (2-2 Feyenoord away, 1-1 Ajax home), but now I've just lost against PSV with 5-2, match stats:

PSV:

Shots: 16

On target: 11

Clear Cuts: 5

Possession: 46%

TOP Oss:

Shots: 17

On target: 7

Clear Cuts: 10

Possession: 54%

I mean... What the *beep*!? 5-2!!??

I always peak and Christmas then go on a slump after it. But then again, I slump pre-xmas too. The only thing that stops me getting relegated is the christmas period, 3 years in a row.

Not sure why, just seems ironic.

Wonder whether weather is an influence?

I always win games in the muddy wet pitches, even though I play short passing. As soon as summer comes around though, my lot can't score for pudding.

The key is Training.

I had the same problem with a jan-feb slump every season. Then I introduced a new training schedule.

From the end of May to 2nd Aug (EPL) I get my players to do intensive training in whatever their posiion is i.e. Gk, Def, DM, Mid or Att.

They DON'T do any strenght or aerobics.

From the 2nd Aug to 2nd Sep Every senior and reserve team player is put on an intensive fitness schedule. Intensive strenght & aerobics and nothing else.

On the 2nd Sep players are switched back the their intensive positional training.

Not a bad idea with the training thing... the only thing is I have a fairly moderate shedule as it is as all my young players moan that the regieme is too heavy as it is.

Could my prob be that I'm going the way of Arse Wenger and implimenting too many youngsters in my squad?? My average squad age is 21. Thats only because I'm a lil team trying to consolidate in the EPL and struggle to pay big fees and attract a player with a good rep/experience so I always have to go with youngsters. As after my first season in the EPL, generating some £££ I have been able to 'buy' good players as opposed to signing promising ones on frees.

In reply to given1legend: I dont have a 'slate my players on the pitch!' HT team talk option, so I can rule out 'not doing what Phil Brown is doing' method!

I cant really change tactics, as i have assembled a squad which fit my preffered tactics perfectly: attacking 4-1-3-2 formation with some very promising young talent in there which the top clubs keep knocking on the door for, fortunatly for me those players are 'Unsure if he wants to leave the club' :)

I think I might just try and stick with it to be honest.... maybe rotate a little more just to keep things fresh and my players on their toes.

i have the same problem but 10 seasons in a row and with man utd, on my save city are world beaters and its normally me and them i all finals and the top 2 by 10-15 points at end of season i normally fiish 3-6 point behind them in the table and that is because every jan even when i dont sign players in jan if my team are playing well i have a 3-4 game drop of form vs teams such as WBA and a 7-1 loss vs villa (embrassed as the got relagated :/) just every season around the jan time i have a slump and seems i am not the only one :/

Yes, I do too get frustrated by the game when things don't go the way I want them to. I'm playing with TOP Oss (Dutch 2nd division irl). Joined them in the season 2012/2013 and in that season I finished 19th out of 20 as the team was serious crap. Got a little better along the way and promoted in the season 2015/2016. In my first season in the Eredivisie (highest dutch division) I finished 13th out of 18, in the second I became 9th and then 13th again and now, in my 4th season in that division: 16th after 28 matches and 4 points behind #15. And that's with a team comparable to the one which is currently in 9th (Heracles)... Changed my tactics about 8 matches ago and actually got a few nice results (2-2 Feyenoord away, 1-1 Ajax home), but now I've just lost against PSV with 5-2, match stats:

PSV:

Shots: 16

On target: 11

Clear Cuts: 5

Possession: 46%

TOP Oss:

Shots: 17

On target: 7

Clear Cuts: 10

Possession: 54%

I mean... What the *beep*!? 5-2!!??

Lol unlucky mate! Their keeper must of had one hell of a good game!! I find it strange thats we're all able to LOVE and HATE this game both at the same time!

Could my prob be that I'm going the way of Arse Wenger and implimenting too many youngsters in my squad?? My average squad age is 21.

That will be a problem, yes. A squad built up of young players is highly susceptible to Morale swings and inconsistency. Therefore, they tend to be very "streaky"; I've had the seraname side run off ten games without defeat followed by ten games without a win.

Professionalism is also a big thing - and it sounds like you're missing it, big-time. Professional players will accept much more intense training schedules than you've been able to dish out.

Older, professional players are much more resistant to runs of poor form; they know that defeats happen and that the way out of a slump is hard work.

I find its best to have a"backbone" of elder leaders: ST, MC, DC, GK, at least, who are all "Leader", "Professional", "Fairly Professional", or "Determined" in their description.

It also helps to have some professional veterans in your rotational mix - though they may not be as talented as your prime youngsters, their high Work Rate, Determination, and Teamwork will help you grind out results when the going gets tough.

Finally, you need those "Professional" veterans to tutor your youngsters into a Professional mentality.

I cant really change tactics, as i have assembled a squad which fit my preffered tactics perfectly: attacking 4-1-3-2 formation with ....

I don't think he meant "change your formation", he meant "change your tactics", in other words, the individual instructions within your tactical setup.

I have a vanilla 4-4-2 "formation", but I have eight different "tactics" saved within that formation. Everything from the base team Mentality to an individual's Forward Runs to the setup I use for Attacking Corner Kicks changes. That lets me adjust to different tactical approaches by the opposition, or different scorelines (Up 1-0 against a quality team .. do I really want my centre defenders getting forward on corner kicks anymore?) simply by clicking "Load Tactic" in the middle of a match.

Part of the "slump" problem, for some users, is the AI adjusting their tactical approach based on your changing reputation. Pre-season, you were expected to be a push-over, so they came out attacking you. Your 4-1-3-2 is probably pretty solid defensively, so you could create turnovers and hit them on the quick counter.

By Christmas, up in 10th place, sides are starting to realize that you're no push-over, so they come out with a tactical approach that places a bit more emphasis on defense, while still providing attacking opportunities. Your attacks then start to run straight into the teeth of the defense, which creates turnovers, and hits you on the counter ..

.. Couple that with lack of Professionalism in your squad and the streakiness of young players, and you have a recipe for the behavior you're describing.

Take a look through the "Tactical Theorems and Frameworks" thread over in the Tactics and Training Tips forum - it addresses this problem very specifically, and gives you tools for avoiding it.

That will be a problem, yes. A squad built up of young players is highly susceptible to Morale swings and inconsistency. Therefore, they tend to be very "streaky"; I've had the seraname side run off ten games without defeat followed by ten games without a win....

Cheers bud!

Even though I've been playing this game nearly 10 years now, it seems i still have a lot to learn :) I normally ted to stick to one tactic mainly and only adjust when I seen major flaws in my teams play.

Looks like i'll be signing some codgers in the transfer window to slap my lil slackers into line :) Because my star plaer is an MS with a peronality of 'Unsporting'. I just hope that i generate enough profit to buy some players, as I keep bitching to my board about how pants my stadium is/training facillities are.

The game keeps evolving - that strategy of "Buy the best young talent, play them, and they will develop as the team does" worked wonders back in the CM01/02 day. :D Its just grown less effective as the psychological side of the game has matured.

I actually came on-forum to rant about how "Morale was vastly overrated" back in .. FM'05, was it? ... and got caught up short when the first respondent posted about what I've just written above, but started it with "Let me guess, your average team age is what, 20? 21?"

He was right, of course, which made me listen to him all the more. :D

One of the best sources of older veterans is the end-of-season Free Transfers / Bosman market, might be something to keep an eye on next time you're heading through the June/July/August stretch.

Well, the team did start going on a mini dip in form again, so I revised my tactics. Which were all ok. then dived into them individually and found some serious issues.

Both my fullbacks were set to all out attack, which I never do! I've now slammed them down so that they never leave the goal post :) Secondly, one of my strikers was set to ultra defensive with no creative freedom at all... no wonder only one of my strikers was scoring goals!!

After my revised tactics, results been more than spot on!

Swansea 0 - 4 H&W

H&W 5 - 3 Man Utd

Scummy Scouse 0 - 1 H&W

Chelski 0 - 1 H&W

Reading 0 - 3 H&W

Naturally since this is the second season in the leage, we're underdogs for pretty every match, so I would class those as superb results. Newcastle next. Lets hope we can repeat the 1 - 7 thrashing of last season :D (nope, got hammered 4 - 1)

As for the old fogies, I've found Gerrard still plodding along, Carrick, Vidic and Rosicky. All in their 40's! Was thinking I could sign them up to tutor my lil whipper-snappers but they wont seem to sign for me even though im exceeding their contract demands :S

But I dont think it matters so much now as one of my lil stars wants to leave the club... then he doesn't... then he does... then doesn't... then... I think you get the point.

Idiot. There should be a 'Give him a firm back hand for being such a muppet' option :D

Oh well, im winning, thats all that matters.

Cheers for the help! It seems iI need to remember to sheck the basics before I start panicing :p

Not So Mad Brad :D

Archived