Breaking news: FM forums to be saved as the end of "Can I run FM?" threads is nigh

Provided that publisher support will back this up I think this could be interesting, especially for people who don't play that many new games. Forking out a couple of hundred of bucks to play but a new game or two in all their glory is a bit of a stretch. Imagine you're someone using a Macbook and just want to check what the fuss regarding GTA4 is all about. And that's absolutely great.

That said, IF the support of publishers and game developers is actually there, it might force hardware manufacturers to re-think their business strategies. From makers of entire platforms, such as Sony, to video card manufacturers, such as ATI or Nvidia.

An interesting idea. A few concerns I would have over such a system:

1)The unreliability of internet connectivity.

2)A server crash, or even routine maintenance, would cause every gamer who doesn't still have his old equipment, to be out of luck.

3)They'd better have impeccable security.

4)Although it will probably start passively, it's one step from being another tool for Big Brother to monitor every move you make. Not good.

This idea has the potential to make the gaming business as it currently runs obsolete. If it work and publishers move to it en masse, it could be the most dramatic change in gaming since they moved from arcades to the home (I would consider the online gaming revolution to be less dramatic a change, myself).

Huh, well I never. Nice idea.

I think I'll be keeping an eye on this. However the only downside is the fact you will have to be online all the time. To be able to play, no 'Offline' play. Subscription fees, plus ADSL/Cable Suppliers may just hit you with reaching the the bandwidth quota's in place on the broadband connection, so if you get all to giddy then you'll be paying fees on top of the highest available ADSL speed fees + Bandwidth fees, and paying for this service.

However I do like the idea, some publishers are up for it. They mentioned that they were able to play Crysis.

Yeah it would be missing something in the sense of being able to add/create a 'Mod' for the games, just like the FM skin example above. I do like the idea that you've still a dated PC you can play the game as it's just like streaming a Youtube vid, just that the other factors such as price and connectivity and ISP fees that can cause some issues without knowing the true £$ figures for all I know it may cost more in the long run, than just upgrading the pc.

But I do like the concept. For those who don't have the luxury.

Seems like an interesting idea but I can't see that video stream ever being as smooth, as responsive and look as good as games do now on the consoles/PCs. Even a 720p video that is encoded that fast would look rubbish in text based games like FM, especially on larger screens.

Seems like an interesting idea but I can't see that video stream ever being as smooth, as responsive and look as good as games do now on the consoles/PCs. Even a 720p video that is encoded that fast would look rubbish in text based games like FM, especially on larger screens.

Fair point -- this is not meant as a replacement for your very own dedicated machines anyway. See it as an alternative option to spending 100+ quids on a new video card just to play a game. Or probably a Playstation 3 you don't want - whether platform exclusive titles will appear on this list remains to be seen. Personally I doubt it though, exclusive titles are what's selling hardware. Think of Final Fantasy VII and Sony's PSX.

Archived