big problem

I had to do a system restore today because I installed something non-fm related which went wrong - so I applied system restore to take me back to yesterday before I installed the non-fm related program. I havent played FM for 3 days, so no FM files should have been altered. However, when I have just started the game today it says that it is unable to load as essential data is missing and that I should make sure the game is installed properly. Then straight after, another error message comes up and says something along the lines of invalid parsing XML error. I then tried to uninstall the game in the control panel, but it says that I couldnt as installanywhere or something like that was missing. So basically I cant run the game or uninstall it. Help!

Tried this?

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Other XML Errors

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Delete the following folder:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

This may solve some issues regarding the XML Errors

I tried the first part - by putting in the reset preferences in the target box. But both messages still come up. I can find tools or folder options when clicking computer because I have vista and those seem to be XP instructions. Anyone know how to get to tools/folder options in vista?

I'm sorry but can someone give me a step-by-step guide on how to get to this. I have no idea how to get to tools on computer. Also, why am I getting this error now, even though I have had FM 09 installed and have played it for well over 2 months now?

if you go to the start menu go to your username. this should bring up a list of folders. first folder i see in there in Appdata - i have not turned on hidden files so i assume you will be able to see it. pictures below;

step1: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8864/step1zgu.jpg

step2: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6678/step2p.jpg

go into AppData - then go to roaming - Sports Interactive - Football Manager 2009 - settings

ahmufcwafc is saying to delete the settings folder - i have no idea if this will work mainly because ive never had this problem

hope this helps anyway

edit: just realised what the second image looks like but you can still see what i mean (hopefully)

Cheers mate - I deleted the settings part and now the XML error is gone, but it still says that essential files are missing. And when I try to uninstall is says that launch anywhere files are missing. Does anyone know what I can do to start up the game/ uninstall this after seeing these error messages????

AT LAST - A REPLY - Sorry im a little frustrated with this. When I try and uninstall it says that launchanywhere application is missing. So i cant run the bloody game, I can uninstall and I cant do anything with it. I have tried to undo system restore and go back to previous dates - but the same old bloody messages keep coming up. I have never been this angry about a game in my whole life.

Give it a few days.. it is Sunday you know.. maybe the people you need aren't working today?

Search google for clean uninstall Football Manager. To manually delete it yourself search your computer for anything Sports Interactive and Football Manager (include hidden folders) and do the same in the registry.

Keep the save game if you have one and any modified databases.

Then reinstall.

Great - Just great. Now when I stick in the FM 09 disk, nothing comes up after I click run. I donwloaded revo uninstaller and uninstalled FM 09 - however there was still a message Launch anywhere application error, this sort of means that the uninstall didnt work properly. So what do I do now? Can someone suggest to me a really powerful uninstaller - or even better has anyone had this error and had it solved?

Thanks mate - I just did a complete uninstall and I deleted all the files and everything. Then I re-installed and waited patiently for everything to install and activate - It paid off. A mod can close this now if they wish to.

I'm awesome :cool:

Archived