Graphics cards

I'd also really like to hear some experienced responses here.

I recently bought a brand new, high end DELL XPS desktop with the new Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 4.8GT/sec).

And I upgraded the graphics card to: 512MB ATI® Radeon® 4850 Graphics card

Surely this should all be powerful enough to run FM09????????!!!!!!!!!

I have not played PC games for about 10 years but just had to dive back into Football Manager 2009 after owning one of the first versions... I think when it was Football Manager 3 or 4 back in 1998/1999 or one year around then??? Wasn't FM called something else in those days?

I'm getting sidetracked reminiscing.... anyway, every now and again, my screen goes blank and then flashes back on with a yellow triangle warning at the bottom saying my graphics driver encountered a terminal error and reset itself or something like that. Surely a 512 Radeon card should be good enough... I only just bought the desktop about a month ago and would hate to have to replace the graphics card....

if that is what is needed then can someone recommend??

And I've also occasionally had the freezing problems that many others have reported too which completely ruined my first 4 hours of playing the game after I bought it on Thursday.

it's great to be back in FM but I'm terrified of the addiction I experienced when I first played it all those years back.

I recently bought a brand new, high end DELL XPS desktop with the new Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 4.8GT/sec).

I have not played PC games for about 10 years but just had to dive back into Football Manager 2009 after owning one of the first versions... I think when it was Football Manager 3 or 4 back in 1998/1999 or one year around then??? Wasn't FM called something else in those days?

I'm getting sidetracked reminiscing.... anyway, every now and again, my screen goes blank and then flashes back on with a yellow triangle warning at the bottom saying my graphics driver encountered a terminal error and reset itself or something like that. Surely a 512 Radeon card should be good enough... I only just bought the desktop about a month ago and would hate to have to replace the graphics card....

And I've also occasionally had the freezing problems that many others have reported too which completely ruined my first 4 hours of playing the game after I bought it on Thursday.

it's great to be back in FM but I'm terrified of the addiction I experienced when I first played it all those years back.

The 4850 should run FM without breaking a sweat. First thing to do is check for updated drivers for the graphics card. You should be able to get them from the ATI website.

i also have experienced that problem until my VGA was burned last week and need to be replaced. i am using GeForce 8600 256mb but the screen always goes blank then flash back with a warning saying that your display driver has stop working. So..my advice to you is stop playing the game for a while and find solution for that problem.

Woooh, get you!

I've got a fairly new Dell Inspiron but as usual with Dell, the graphics card choice is very poor - I've got an ATI Radeon HD3650 256MB and it plays FM2009 without any problems at all. I think you will be absolutely fine.

well people,

i clicked on the ATI 'catalyst control centre' button in my quick menu and went to the link to the ATI drive update website and there were NO UPDATES.

all there was was some device to enable you to download video/tv from a tuner card which I installed just for the sake of it.

my Football Manager continues to crash constantly and the display driver continually fails.

would I be advised to update FM to the latest update??? I am on the original 9.0.0 version.... will updating the game mean I have to start from the very start or can I continue on with my existing game??

please help me fix my game

mattersdorff:

Corrupted drivers or perhaps a borked card. Download the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI web site, then completely uninstall all the ATI drivers. Restart and install the new driver.

Hope it works, if not time to ring Dell support.

Archived