Ever just taken a punt on a player?

marcMCFC1986

Thought I'd start a thread to see if anybody has taken a punt on a player, who turned out to be a world beater?

For example:

Whilst managing AC Milan, my striker got poached by Chelsea in summer - so I needed a replacement. I made a decision, before even looking at who it was, that I'd try to sign who ever finished the season as leading goalscorer in Serie B - regardless of age, and wasn't going to scout them. Turned out to be a 20 Year Old Advanced Forward called Allessandro Gillardino - got him for £21.5m. In the remaining 2 and a half years I remained AC Milan manager he led our scoring charts averaging over a goal a game, whilst winning Serie A and the Champions League - before I left for Bayern Munich...where I obviously took him with me for about £60m.

Unfortunately, I've got bored of this years FM so uninstalled without taking any screenshots.

Any other similar success stories?

I'm always very reluctant to spend big as I rarely manage a big side and bargains are way more fun imo. The biggest I've spent in FM20 is £38m for Jack Grealish when I was managing Everton but (surprise, surprise) I got bored of that save after one and a half season. He was a baller as a Mezzala though.

I have and it's worked out this time.  Usually it doesn't.  I'm managing St Etienne and was about to play Auxerre who were bottom.  A banker win for me I thought.  But in the press conference I was asked if I had a plan to stop 'Nicolas Mercier'?  I was over confident and didn't make any special plans to deal with him beforehand.  Straight after kick off he tore my defence apart and scored.  My team couldn't cope with him.

Anyway Auxerre were relegated and I was looking for a striker when I saw his name crop up for £8m.  I had the money so thought i'd take a punt.  He's proven to be a revelation for me.  Been playing for France U21s and scored 20 each of his two seasons for me.  He's also been voted the Worlds top U21 player.  So is looking good at the moment.

Hopefully I can keep hold of him as there is PL interest now.  But has been a great success whatever happens.

Lucas Ocompos fm15 in my United save. He had good overall stats but was 2 and a half stars coming back from long term injury. Needed a RW that was decent for backup, took a punt and OH MY GOD he turned he became Ronaldo every game, scoring for fun, he had 50 games and scored 71 and assisted 23, I felt like I broke the game, won the ballon do'r and decided to resign 

• 2 weeks later...