I want to counter-attack effectively on FM20

As the title says really!

I've started a new save with Rennes; I figured with them being a mid-table(ish) team  it would be an effective way to play in the French league.

I've been playing since 2013 but wrapping my head around tactics is something I've always been awful at.

Can anyone give me advice? I understand that I'd need another tactic against the Dijon's and Brest' of the league but I'm also unsure as to where to go with that.

Tactic 2.png

Tactic 1.png

I'm not the expert you probably need but I do know some things. 

1- first tactic is awful it's not counter attacking its just bad your attack is completely isolated, that even if you punt the ball foward you will not win the second ball, I would quickly discart that

2- 4-2-3-1 even deep is not the greatest counter attacking formation but It can definitely work and we'll. 

3- On the 4-2-3-1 is your dlp good enough? If he is your pair in midfield is good. 

4- a rule I have is if the fb is on attack the winger is on support, if the winger is on attack the fb is on support or defend, I see you already have an attacking winger so I would advice to not have two, instead I would change your right fullback to a simple fullback on attack. The rest seems fine in your 4-2-3-1 

Btw what you can do is change your 424 to a standard 442 because the 442 is a great counter tactic and is really good defensevly or even a 4222 with 2 dm and two wide mids in the midfield slot

Edited by Strikerir1

I've never managed to get an AM/AP/SS to work to my liking (I have a DLP at the DM tier and a BWM/BBM or MEZ at the CM tier), but otherwise that 2nd formation looks like an solid base to work from for refining your counter :-)

Maybe have the left WB as WB(A) to balance out the sides and give the DLP a quicker outlet?

Maybe add more urgent or tighter marking to your front 4 or generally to create a midish block?

Are one of your CBs decent on the ball and could be a BPD?

Beyond that it comes down to having players for those sensible roles and watching some matches and seeing how everyone reacts.

Edited by CaptCanuck

What kind of results are you getting mate?

the 4231 actually looks pretty decent, and I’m especially interested in how that gets along before offering any suggestions for that particular tactic.

the first one though is pretty floored imo. Even ignoring the roles (which aren’t great) you’ve fallen into the trap of playing very risky in possession, while playing very passive in defence. You’re basically giving the ball away to the other team and letting them have it for too long. You’re probably getting like 30% or so possession, which will eventually lead to your defence cracking under pressure most likely.

If you want to be more attacking, I’d raise the LOE and DLine a bit. Whereas if it’s a defensive tactic, I’d be a bit more conservative on the ball (you’d still counter as you have counter ticked). Although bare in mind that cautious + low DLine can lead to loads of long shots being taken in space.

I personally wouldn’t use a RMD with an attacking striker like your AF. I’d rather the wide players to create chances instead of scoring goals, when you have an AF. It may also be better to just use a standard 442 (unless you have a clear reason to use a 424). As I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re completely disjointed. Although it may work for a direct style.

The deep 4-2-3-1 was my "main" tactic in all honesty, I haven't played a game yet either Jack, I was too worried to start the save with not having a clue about the tactics I wanted to use.

After doing a little reading, and playing around (Mostly with https://ratemytactic.web.app/) I've come up with this as my first tactic, mostly because it appears to suit the players - and against "harder teams" and in Europe I'll be using that deep 4-2-3-1.

I have considered changing the 4-2-1-3 to a 4-1-2-3 but I'm not entirely sure what roles I'd give the two CM's, whereas I feel like the formation right now is good enough for what I want and I understand it's not countering but as I said earlier, I'm more attempting to build this tactic to the teams strengths.

The second tactic is my new counter, based off what folks in this thread have said - I love a deep 4-2-3-1, the only things that really worry me is the AMC taking up space for the other players - but I've also tried to keep the strengths of the players in mind when coming up with this tactic, another that that bugs me is the lack of direct passes.

Tactic 1.png

Tactic 2.png

Edited by MrBoneJangles