DM strata

As with everything tactics on this game, it depends on what you want you want the player to do.

I'd go for the BWM if I wanted someone more eager to come out to close down the flanks or a bit more of an aggressive cdm.

DM defend would get the nod if I wanted a CDM who I'm willing to let play more riskier passes.

If I wanted a really static CDM who could close down the middle while protecting the CBs and cutting off opposition strikers, I'd still favour an anchorman.

IMO a BWM should only be employed with another holding midfielder such as a DLP, CM(D) or CM(S) given a hold position instruction.

In a flat 4 midfield in a 442, BWM(D), DLP(S) works. Both hold position and DLP can cover for BWM's adventurous closing down.

In a trio with a DM, I don't think BWM(D) is appropriate in DM. Here you play an Anchor Man, Half Back, Defensive Midfielder (D/S) or DLP(D/S). But you could then play a BWM(S) on support in one of the MC slots in the trio. That would be far more stable.

If you play a 4231 or 4411, the midfield 2 containing a BWM(D) can both be on defend duty to allow the wide players, AMC and STC to go and attack, as well as at least one full back.

If you play a flat midfield 3 such as in a 4312 narrow, any BWM should be on the MCL or MCR slot on support, and then the MC player should have a hold position instruction, preferably on a defend duty.

Edited by permanentquandary