Please explain fee and income from friendlies

What do “fee” and “income” mean for friendlies? 

My understanding is that for a home friendly the fee is what I pay the visiting team. Is the difference between fee and income (if positive) my profit from the match?

So it must be the opposite for away friendlies. The fee is paid to me as the visiting team, right? But what does the “income” figure mean for an away friendly? It seems like it should only be relevant to the home team.

This is a fairly important topic for small clubs but the online manual completely ignores it and the discussions in the forums are full of contradictions. An explanation from someone at SI would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

• Administrators

Fee is what you pay for arranging the friendly

Income is what income you would get for the friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for clearing this up @Lucas. And its the same for home and away games, correct?
In other words, I should always compute (income - fee) to see the amount of money I would make/lose when scheduling a friendly regardless of whether it's at home or away.

On 01/05/2020 at 19:37, tmpusr said:

Thanks for clearing this up @Lucas. And its the same for home and away games, correct?
In other words, I should always compute (income - fee) to see the amount of money I would make/lose when scheduling a friendly regardless of whether it's at home or away.

It doesn’t make sense to subtract fee from income for an away match, because the fee is what the home team pays the away team. Logically there shouldn’t be income listed for an away match but the folks at SI aren’t particularly logical and it’s obvious none of them know anything about accounting. But it’s a minor issue so *shrug*. 

No need to be harsh. This whole thing can be fixed trivially. Just change the pop-up text of "Fee" to "The amount of money your team will pay to the opposition for match participation" and the pop-up text of "Income" to "The estimate amount of money your team will make from this match".
Not sure if we should add it to the bugs category or not though. @Lucas (or any other SI personnel) please let me know if you would like me to create a bug entry for this so that it gets fixed. It's a minor problem but its solution is trivial so it should take virtually no dev time.

Edited by tmpusr

16 hours ago, tmpusr said:

No need to be harsh. This whole thing can be fixed trivially. Just change the pop-up text of "Fee" to "The amount of money your team will pay to the opposition for match participation" and the pop-up text of "Income" to "The estimate amount of money your team will make from this match".

Your idea doesn’t address away matches. When you’re the away team, the home team pays you the fee and you don’t pay the opposition anything. Basically for away matches there should just be one amount listed: the fee the home team pays you. 

That's not what I get from the answer above. The way I understand it, "Fee" is always your expenditure and "Income" is always your revenue, regardless of whether it's a home or away friendly (the only thing that matters is that you arrange the match). If this is not the case, and what you describe is correct, then we/SI should come up with a different solution.

In the case of an away match, could "fee" be the amount of money it costs your club to travel to the match-- transportation costs, and lodging if it's some distance away?  It would cost an English club more money to travel to Italy for a friendly, for example, than it would be to go to Scotland.  

I don't have the game open right now, so I can't check to see if the fees for different friendlies would match that supposition or not.  Just an idea.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/05/2020 at 17:21, tmpusr said:

That's not what I get from the answer above. The way I understand it, "Fee" is always your expenditure and "Income" is always your revenue, regardless of whether it's a home or away friendly (the only thing that matters is that you arrange the match). If this is not the case, and what you describe is correct, then we/SI should come up with a different solution.

The above is correct IMO. If you arrange a friendly you pay the other team (fee), no matter home or away. Income always means YOUR income. Whether it works like that in real football as well I am not sure but I guess it does more or less.