Not Dead Yet: A Tale of Redemption and Lost Dreams

wynter

Wonderkids.

We all know them, we all love them. Whether they're our own home-grown regens or whether they exist in the game at the start, at one point in our FM careers we've either actively hunted them down, or watched with joy as one turns into the absolute mountain of a man that SI proclaims them to be.

But in real-life... What happens to those that don't fulfil the potential? Those meant to be at Real Madrid may stay at home, slowly drop down the divisions or even actively leave the game and we continue on, remembering them with fondness.

Until Today.

Goals for this Save

- Using previous FM Wonderkid Lists (FM13-19) we will restrict transfers only to those who were previously considered FM Wonderkids. 

- Win as Much as Possible.

Guidelines

It's going to be tricky to quantify that which is a wonderkid that hasn't fulfilled their potential. Obvious indicators might be those at a club like Porto/Benfica/Barcelona who now play for lower league sides. Those who might still be at those clubs but have had their purchase price drastically reduced. Each signing I'll go over the case-by-case basis for why they've been included as a possible purchase. Value, Reduction in Potential (Through scouting only), Current Club will all be used to justify the purchase.

And on we set, for a glorious onrush of Nostalgia.

Club Selection

The way this was chosen was looking at different leagues, foreign restrictions and lastly, a club that fulfilled the tenets of the save. Clubs with once great histories that had been humbled by the sands of time. Foreign Restrictions and History invariably led us to Germany.  From there I had 4 clubs I was interested in.

VFB Stuttgart, Hamburg, Braunschweig and Dynamo Dresden.

All plying their trade in lower divisions, all with successful histories, or in Braunschweig's history a rapid rise, followed by a swift and sudden fall.

I decided to sim a season to see if any of these sides would have success on their own and then I struck.

b9a1a41e8c27fe8f368c255dc109705e.png

09112015_DynamoDresdenChoreoLogo_header.

From here a cauldron for those forgotten to rise...

Edited by wynter

Transfers

"I cannot be content..."

Careful scouting... That was the biggest issue of this season. Dresden inherited a relatively modest budget and rather than sink all 4million into transfers I opted to sacrifice 600k to the scouting budget so we had 3 mil to play with, but a global network with which to shop around.

(Didn't sign Kerk was already a pre-contract/confirmed signing by the previous manager.) 

Benedikt Gimber

Signing Number One and the entirety of our budget

181a3e252f540580366526440f0fbadf.png

Rationale

Gimber alongside Sule were two Hoffenheim wonderkids that could form an amazing Homegrown centre back pairing if you ever took them over through FMs 14-18. Since then he moved to Ingolstadt for 875k and from the beginning of FM20 he starts in Bundesliga 2 for Jahn Regensburg.

Technically he looks and is a very, very good player. The past two years that he's dropped down from the Bundesliga in the Second Division and his rapid departure from Ingolstadt after a relegation season has seen his stock down on previous FMs.

German HG Player, still solid potential and becomes the core of an absolutely stacked backline with Ehlers and Wahlqvist so I consider him worth it.

Allione

e559c0424f5fabf2db3e8c186236b861.png

Massive Wonderkid in FMs14 & 15. Personally I never actually used him, but the man was monstrous.

In real life... Moves to Brazil and then Back to Argentina didn't bear fruit and he spent the season before us as a small rotation option for Central Cordoba making 11 appearances for a 6.54 rating and returned to Palmeiras to immediately be transfer listed. Thusly, we swooped. Solid option to strengthen our midfield and a cheapish loan deal.

Tuttino

38a7178d7fd0a6cbabb77724c4614322.png

FM14 Wonderkid who has stayed at Naples his entire career with loans out to smaller Italian Sides. Serie C and Serie B football have built into a 23 year old player on the transfer list floundering in the Napoli Reserves.

Very much like Allione, a versatile attacking midfielder and he'll bolster our forward line, running as a DLF (A) or an Inverted Winger depending on cirumstance.

Gabbia

53c44789ad48ee5148ad68c98864bbbd.png

20 Years old, so younger than his former wonderkid counterparts. Yet, his Wonderkid days are already over losing that Status this year after being an amazing option for me personally in FM18/19. Told by my scouts that his best potential is a Good Bundesliga 2 option. Hopefully, we can bring him even further along and if not, he's a tidy back-up to Ehlers, Gimber and can play the BWM role tidily.

Marcos Astina

b0dff527b874f985cdaf5e7aac629658.png

One of Argentina's best prospects in FM14-16 much like Allione. He has stayed at Lanus, spending the last 4 seasons on loan in Mexico only to return to Lanus and be on the transfer list. His time done and his options non-existent. I personally used Astina a lot in older FMs and I think he's got the makings of a solid forward. I also think he's a hell of a lot better than the Decent Bundesliga 2 status he's rated at.

5 Players in, Five Former Wonderkids three of whom no longer wanted. Here they come together, to strive for the top...

And the tactic we'll be running for now

Changing Lanes

89725d0ac9e61f4a4bb6f19bff1ac4a7.png

Easiest way to think of it is  three banks of three with a Forward and GK at opposite ends. It's currently mid-being written up for https://www.fmcheapseats.com/ but a genuine update is probably a few days away at least. If you want to read more about it, there'll be an update for it when the article comes out :onmehead:

3 hours ago, wynter said:

And the tactic we'll be running for now

Changing Lanes

89725d0ac9e61f4a4bb6f19bff1ac4a7.png

Easiest way to think of it is  three banks of three with a Forward and GK at opposite ends. It's currently mid-being written up for https://www.fmcheapseats.com/ but a genuine update is probably a few days away at least. If you want to read more about it, there'll be an update for it when the article comes out :onmehead:

Some blasts from the past there, I like the concept of this save, I might do something similar one day.

I wish Freddy Adu and Cherno Samba were still playing footy so you could sign them lol.