433 - Struggling to finish off games.

Hello all,

As the title says I am having issues killing game off, in most games I dominate the ball but struggle to stick the ball in the back of the net from open play, luckily we seem to score from corners often.

I've attached a screen shot of my tactic. I do think the lack of a top striker is hurting me as FM does not rate Grabban at all.

I have no PI's.

I should say we were predicted 7th in the season preview so slightly overachieving.

Thanks in advance.

Untitled.png

Hi there, thoughts are:

• Your roles and duties are ostensibly quite sensible and balanced - there is nothing majorly wrong there. I'd personally move your MLC & MRC around - the DLP is slightly better suited to playing in balls ahead of the IF(a) and the MEZ(a) bursting forward might help create space and options for your IW(s). I think the MEZ(a) and IF(a) are both going to get in each others way a touch. I'd consider making the MEZ(a) a CM(a) to stop him drifting wide and get him to focus on getting into the box more.
  • I think your main issue is that you just have no space. You have a positive mentality and are pressing very high and aggressively - you need to let the opponent breathe a little, or they won't vacate that space at all. In games you are really struggling to break down a packed defence, start stretching play wider (literally increase width), so that you can create more lateral space. Your pass into space isn't much use right now when you're squeezing your opponent so high, but by just allowing them to come out a little bit more, you might have that space to encourage pass into space instead.

I could nitpick preferences, but generally, I think the tactic itself is largely fine. As you said, you're actually slightly over performing expectations. It may just be a matter of certain player(s) not being good enough. 

7 minutes ago, llama3 said:

Hi there, thoughts are:

• Your roles and duties are ostensibly quite sensible and balanced - there is nothing majorly wrong there. I'd personally move your MLC & MRC around - the DLP is slightly better suited to playing in balls ahead of the IF(a) and the MEZ(a) bursting forward might help create space and options for your IW(s). I think the MEZ(a) and IF(a) are both going to get in each others way a touch. I'd consider making the MEZ(a) a CM(a) to stop him drifting wide and get him to focus on getting into the box more.
  • I think your main issue is that you just have no space. You have a positive mentality and are pressing very high and aggressively - you need to let the opponent breathe a little, or they won't vacate that space at all. In games you are really struggling to break down a packed defence, start stretching play wider (literally increase width), so that you can create more lateral space. Your pass into space isn't much use right now when you're squeezing your opponent so high, but by just allowing them to come out a little bit more, you might have that space to encourage pass into space instead.

Thanks for replying, I've made some slight changes based on your comments (see attached). I'm going to play a few games now to see how the changes affect performance.

433new.png

27 minutes ago, mdoe said:

I'm going to play a few games now to see how the changes affect performance.

Spot on - the worst thing you can do is multiple random changes, with no idea what has made what impact. You'll get this nailed - good luck

16 hours ago, mdoe said:

Thanks for replying, I've made some slight changes based on your comments (see attached). I'm going to play a few games now to see how the changes affect performance.

433new.png

@Experienced Defender will hate this because you used fba and meza on the same flank. I suggest you to change fba to IWBd before he comes for you :D 

On 17/02/2020 at 00:10, mdoe said:

433new.png

Hey mdoe, have you managed to get positive result with your recent setup?

On 17/02/2020 at 13:58, kenny3 said:

@Experienced Defender will hate this because you used fba and meza on the same flank. I suggest you to change fba to IWBd before he comes for you :D 

I agree partially with that I just think the mezzala is the problem.

If you make the f/b defend you lose your width in att, The mezzala doesn't defend, better off with b/b/m as looking at his mez colour he could be good there. 

Also  with i/w or i/f they play very narrowly so would put l/b to att. I play something similar to this formation very successfully except 2x w/b att, reg, 2 b/b/m 2 x i/w  a/f att  as with dlf dropping deep he's crowding the i/f, i/w.

15 hours ago, kenny3 said:

Hey mdoe, have you managed to get positive result with your recent setup?

Hello, last time I played (a few days ago) I managed to finish in the play off places with inconsistent form. I think I need a few more small tweaks, I’m hoping to update this thread over the weekend when I get more time play.

9 hours ago, Hazpro said:

I agree partially with that I just think the mezzala is the problem.

If you make the f/b defend you lose your width in att, The mezzala doesn't defend, better off with b/b/m as looking at his mez colour he could be good there. 

Also  with i/w or i/f they play very narrowly so would put l/b to att. I play something similar to this formation very successfully except 2x w/b att, reg, 2 b/b/m 2 x i/w  a/f att  as with dlf dropping deep he's crowding the i/f, i/w.

One of the tweaks I mentioned above was switching my Mezzala into a BBM. Hoping to play more over the next few days so I can update you all. 

On 17/02/2020 at 08:58, kenny3 said:

Creating an overload down the right is fine, if his Mezzala and HB are good enough than this can work. Not a huge fan of the IWBd idea here. It would completely compromise the overload and defeat the whole purpose. The HB will cover for the FB, honestly, I'd change the right side FB to WB(A) and play around the FB channel overload more.

The changes I’ve been thinking of making will make my tactic similar to what I found success with on FM19. 

I’ll list them below (no screenshot as I’m at work clearly working very hard) 

GK - D 

WB - A x2

CB - D x2

HB - D 

DLP - S

BBM - S 

IF - S x2

AF - A 

Last year I used a 4231 with those positions, the HB was switched to a AM and it worked all year so I’m hoping this will work fine. 

I'm married to the idea of a 433 working as it’s my preferred formation and should let me control the midfield and stay defensively strong. 

2 hours ago, mdoe said:

The changes I’ve been thinking of making will make my tactic similar to what I found success with on FM19. 

I’ll list them below (no screenshot as I’m at work clearly working very hard) 

GK - D 

WB - A x2

CB - D x2

HB - D 

DLP - S

BBM - S 

IF - S x2

AF - A 

Last year I used a 4231 with those positions, the HB was switched to a AM and it worked all year so I’m hoping this will work fine. 

I'm married to the idea of a 433 working as it’s my preferred formation and should let me control the midfield and stay defensively strong. 

Looks good to me,I have a good REG I use instead of hb and tend to use 2 good BBM's as they cover pretty much everything.

That has also helped me, having players that are adaptable in midfield. being able to swap from reg to dlp and moving bbm to am.

9 hours ago, targetthyself said:

Creating an overload down the right is fine, if his Mezzala and HB are good enough than this can work. Not a huge fan of the IWBd idea here. It would completely compromise the overload and defeat the whole purpose. The HB will cover for the FB, honestly, I'd change the right side FB to WB(A) and play around the FB channel overload more.

I don't like the IWB either not in that formation ok for flat 4-4-2 but IWB doesn't offer any width as he's always looking to go inside.