New save with Atletico Madrid

I always play with Atletico Madrid and this time I have just started a new save with them trying to play a 442 and 424. I don't have a particular style of football in m mind coz I really haven't used 442 before in fm.

I am struggling to line up a 442 with right roles and duties. Below is the 442 I have set-up for tough games and a 424 for games where I am chasing a goal. 

Any help with players/ roles/ duties/ instructions is highly appreciated.

2022494990_ScreenShot2020-02-13at10_18_25pm.thumb.png.85bb86b8299ca676838db1492b494ba0.png

2071087867_ScreenShot2020-02-13at10_23_10pm.thumb.png.6e4df7df3d96783dcf85bc64a73c6e94.png

P.S. I have not played any games with the tactic.

6 hours ago, nidhar.ram said:

2022494990_ScreenShot2020-02-13at10_18_25pm.thumb.png.85bb86b8299ca676838db1492b494ba0.png

6 hours ago, nidhar.ram said:

Any help with players/ roles/ duties/ instructions is highly appreciated

Given the higher tempo and lower LOE in your 442 tactic, it seems as though you basically want to play counter-attacking football as your primary style?

If so, here are my suggestions (but keep in mind that such a strategy could well fail, simply because ATM is considered a top team, which means you'll face defensive opposition most of the time):

First the roles and duties:

TQ   AF/PFat

IWsu    CMde   CAR    WMsu

FBat    CDde   BPDde   WBsu

SKsu

Starting team instructions:

Mentality - Positive

In possession - play out of defence, shorter passing, higher tempo, hit early crosses (and optionally/occasionally - run at defence)

In transition - counter, distribute quickly

Out of possession - lower LOE

Player instructions:

ML/IWsu - Lemar - sit narrower

MCR/CAR - Koke - take more risks, close down more

MCL/CMde - Llorente - tackle harder

STCL/AF(PFat) - Costa - close down more

Any questions?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, LiamNCFC said:

I stumbled across this as I was looking for confirmation / assurance that the shape and player roles in my 424 were sound. 

I have a top top side.  So my 424 looks a little like this

Sk A

Wbd        CD      CD.      IWBs

DLPs.       BBM

IFs.                                    Wa        

DLFs.        Poacher

Team instructions

Positive

Split block with dlf and wide men closing down,

Play out of defence, Be more expressive, shorter passing, run at defence, 

Counter

Higher defensive line, More urgent closing down

PIs

Fb sit narrower, if sit narrower. 

Im looking to get overlaps down the left. It's aggressive I know but it's fun to watch. 

Any comments greatly appreciated as always. 

Sorry mate, but if you want to get advice or opinion on your tactic, you'll need to start your own separate thread (because this one belongs to another member of the forum). Please do so and you'll surely get some input :thup:

On 13/02/2020 at 23:32, Experienced Defender said:

First the roles and duties:

TQ   AF/PFat

IWsu    CMde   CAR    WMsu

FBat    CDde   BPDde   WBsu

SKsu

Starting team instructions:

Mentality - Positive

In possession - play out of defence, shorter passing, higher tempo, hit early crosses (and optionally/occasionally - run at defence)

In transition - counter, distribute quickly

Out of possession - lower LOE

Player instructions:

ML/IWsu - Lemar - sit narrower

MCR/CAR - Koke - take more risks, close down more

MCL/CMde - Llorente - tackle harder

STCL/AF(PFat) - Costa - close down more

Any questions?

This is really interesting! I’m currently using a 442 after just being promoted that I would like to have counter attacking football with.

I never knew a sweeper keeper would work with a lower defensive lineShorter passes is something I didn’t expect to see either

What’s the reason for tackle harder PI on Llorente?

Seeing as OP is a top team, would you consider using a DLP-S instead of the CAR in the central midfield pairing?

Always interesting to see your take on things @Experienced Defender!

3 hours ago, Chip said:

I never knew a sweeper keeper would work with a lower defensive line?

Sweeper keeper can work with any DL, but in this tactic it's not lower. Only LOE is lower. 

3 hours ago, Chip said:

Shorter passes is something I didn’t expect to see either

I can assume why, but you need to view tactical decisions within the proper context. 

3 hours ago, Chip said:

What’s the reason for tackle harder PI on Llorente?

Making him a quasi-BWM, but with better positional discipline. 

3 hours ago, Chip said:

Seeing as OP is a top team, would you consider using a DLP-S instead of the CAR in the central midfield pairing?

For which team - OP's (Atletico) or some else?

Anyway, given that the tactic is meant to be counter-attacking and that there already is a playmaker (TQ), I would rather avoid another PM role. You can have a playmaker in a counter-attacking tactic if you want, but it's not necessary for such type of football (as opposed to possession-oriented styles). 

16 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Sweeper keeper can work with any DL, but in this tactic it's not lower. Only LOE is lower. 

Just realised this, my bad!

17 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

For which team - OP's (Atletico) or some else?

Anyway, given that the tactic is meant to be counter-attacking and that there already is a playmaker (TQ), I would rather avoid another PM role. You can have a playmaker in a counter-attacking tactic if you want, but it's not necessary for such type of football (as opposed to possession-oriented styles).

Just for teams in general that possess players who can play DLP. I assume if you wanted to use a DLP you would change the TQ to something like a DLF for example?

Thanks for replying!

2 hours ago, Chip said:

I assume if you wanted to use a DLP you would change the TQ to something like a DLF for example?

If I have a player who is good enough to play as a TQ, I would definitely not deprive myself of such a role for the sake of having a DLP. Unless I don't want to use the TQ as a role for its lack of defensive responsibility (although this is also impacted by the type of player, not just the role itself). 

I am generally less inclined to use playmaker roles when I manage a top team compared to managing weaker or average ones. Because in a top team you usually have a number of players with good playmaking ability, so why would I want to slow my attacks down by having a specific ball-magnet? It does not mean that I never use a PM type of role when I manage a top team. It just means that I don't need to have a playmaker as much as I do when managing weaker sides (because they usually have 1 or 2 players that stand out, while most others are average or decent).