Newcastle 4231

Hi guys, 

A little help would be much appreciated. I need a 4231 for Newcastle to play with without being sacked before the end of the season. 

I tried a 4231 gegenpress but sacked in January and 15th place. After 10 games I was 20th in the league. 

Was hoping for 1 to challenge for the top 6

Not sure if the 4231 is an optimal formation for a team like Newcastle, to begin with. I managed them in FM19, so I know most of their players very well.

An extremely aggressive gung-ho style such as gegenpress makes even less sense (irrespective of the formation) for a team of their strength and reputation.

So you should reconsider the style of play at least (if not the formation). 

Otherwise, I fear you'll keep getting sacked.

Anyway, post a screenshot of your (failed) tactic. I'll analyze it and tell you what you could and should change in my opinion :thup:

Hi mod, 

At first thanks for your reply. 

Secondly I must apologize it took me so long, just because I'm a weekend gamer, busy life... 

I send you my formation and the players I think are the best in that roles. 

I must confess I took my safe and did a lot of holiday modes with tactics I found on the net. Found a few good ones but none with an AM, because I bought Olmo of Zagreb and Morelos of Rangers. 

IMG_20200216_220453.thumb.jpg.224dc92152f9371881ec029ff783fe21.jpg

39 minutes ago, davke1904 said:

Hi mod, 

At first thanks for your reply. 

Secondly I must apologize it took me so long, just because I'm a weekend gamer, busy life... 

I send you my formation and the players I think are the best in that roles. 

I must confess I took my safe and did a lot of holiday modes with tactics I found on the net. Found a few good ones but none with an AM, because I bought Olmo of Zagreb and Morelos of Rangers. 

What style are you looking to play? That's got to be your first question really...

3 hours ago, davke1904 said:

IMG_20200216_220453.thumb.jpg.224dc92152f9371881ec029ff783fe21.jpg

The key - albeit not the only - problem here is that Newcastle is definitely not good enough as a team to play with such aggressive/risky defensive instructions, which are then compounded by the attacking mentality. 

The flanks are lacking variety, so that's an issue attacking-wise.

Do these 2 remarks give you any idea as to how you can improve the tactic, or you would like to hear more specific and detailed advice?

Putting aside the team and players for a moment...

You're playing a 4231, which is a fairly attack oriented formation, with an "attacking" mentality. Yet, your only player with an "attack" role is your striker. You're playing very high lines, with an aggressive press, trying to win the ball back high up the pitch, but then you're striker is looking to run into space (what space?), while the rest of your team seems to be looking to play possession. 

You're kinda all over the place. How do you want your team to play? How do you want to score goals?

I never did tactics myself,  but used some good ones over the net. I'm not into in a favorite formation. The only thing a watch out for is, don't want to sell Almiron en Maximin and I bought Olmo as AM, so I do thing my options are limited. 

Any suggestions for a formation and roles would be much appreciated. Could use some advice in the tactic centre.. 

Specific and detailed device welcome., style of play doesn't matter really. Just don't wanna sell the best Newcastle players. 

U did a NUFC save you said last year and u know the players very well so what do you recommend?? @Experienced Defender

1 hour ago, davke1904 said:

Any suggestions for a formation and roles would be much appreciated

1 hour ago, davke1904 said:

U did a NUFC save you said last year and u know the players very well so what do you recommend?? @Experienced Defender

Okay, so here is a starting primary tactic I would create for this Newcastle team if I managed them. NOTE: The tactic is not plug'n'play, so it's probably going to require small occasional tweaks depending on the situation and/or opposition. If you want a plug'n'play tactic, I would suggest you look for them in the Tactics sharing and download center section of the forum.

Anyway, here is my basic tactic (4123 wide instead of 4231):

PFat

Wsu                                  IWsu

MEZat    DLPsu

Ade

FBsu    CDde   CDde    FBat

SKde

Players and player instructions:

GK/SKde - Dubravka

DL/FBsu - Dummett - dribble less, sit narrower

DR/FBat - Krafth - dribble less

DCL/CDde - Lejeune / Clark

DCR/CDde - Lascelles / Schar

DM/Ade - Hayden

MCL/MEZat - Olmo - close down more

MCR/DLPsu - Longstaff

AML/Wsu - Maximin

AMR/IWsu - Almiron - sit narrower

STC/PFat - Morelos

Team instructions:

Mentality - Balanced

In possession - shorter passing

In transition - distribute to CBs and FBs

Out of possession - nothing

Pretty simple. as you can see. 

4-2-3-1 was the favored formation under Rafa, because Rafa structured it to play incredibly rigidly. And heavily controlled how and where they lost the ball. They really can't play this system anymore because they sold Perez. Now in the Bruce era they are much better equipped to play a Conte 3-4-3 and look to overload the half space. If you're set on a 4-2-3-1 you'll need to bring in a #10 that can play off Joelinton. 4-2-3-1s are finicky though and are always dependant on the pivot to be very good.

Edited by targetthyself