Required to win the league

If you weren't close, then probably.  If it went down to the wire and you ended up second and maybe won a cup, then probably not.  It is difficult to be sure though, but will depend on a lot of other criteria like finances and team performance

I just went through this.  When I took over a team in the Spanish LIGA 2 for a new save the requirement was to win the league.  Also required was signing players under 23 for the first team, no contracts over 1 year to players over 30, and work within the wage budget.

Meeting the contract/budget requirements were easy because that’s what I do anyway.  But we choked and finished fourth, then lost in the promotion playoff.

I was worried I might get sacked, but it was never an issue.  The board just gave me the same vision again the following year as if nothing ever happened.  What I took from this is, do an excellent job on the requirements you can control (eg contracts) and come as close as possible to the league position requirement and you’ll probably be fine for the moment as long as you have the support of your players. 

My speculation is that boards have a hidden ”patience” rating and some will let you slide a bit on club vision and others will sack you half way through the season after a blowout loss, sort of the the way some agents will patiently go back and forth negotiating a contract whereas others will shut the talks down immediately if you don’t give them exactly what they want.