3 Strikers

That's true but I had a look & couldn't see any, I remember a few years ago 3 Strikers was a big thing. I'm in my first pre season since we spoke about tactics on my other thread. I was looking for a 3 Striker tactic already up & running that I could work from, given I'm close to the season starting.  

The second half of last season, I went with a 4222 using 2 AM's. It worked better than my use of 3 Strikers, but still needs tweaking. One thing is it's too risky going forward especially because I was using postive, leaving me too easy to be hit on the counter.

15 hours ago, toon army 06 said:

Anyone been able to get a tactic using 3 Strikers working? If so what's your setup?

Would be interesting to give it a go, all sorts of combos you could try up front & in midfield 

DLF-S P-A CF-S

CM-S CM-D- CM-A

Something like that shouldn't leave you too short on defensive numbers 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Would be interesting to give it a go, all sorts of combos you could try up front & in midfield 

DLF-S P-A CF-S

CM-S CM-D- CM-A

Something like that shouldn't leave you too short on defensive numbers 

Thanks I'll try that & I always like an Advanced Forward, would that work over PF?

DLP(S) over CM(s)?

What about team pressing, put it to standard?

13 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

Thanks I'll try that & I always like an Advanced Forward, would that work over PF?

DLP(S) over CM(s)?

What about team pressing, put it to standard?

Gawd knows, I was just throwing something out :D

I wouldn't want 2 of the 3 upfront on attack so they can track back. The Poacher in the centre would be the more static striker of the 3 where the DLF & CF would create the movement (DLF dropping deep, the CF roaming wide & deep) & support for the A role

Then I just went really simple in centre mid, CM-A to run into the box (the CF-S will roam wide), I always like the middle of the 3 to be on D, that left the left sided CM for the S duty but like I say, you've got all sorts of options, that's just the simplest. A CAR(S) could go on the left with a WB(A), a MEZZ(A) with a FB/WB(D) on the right 

Then you've got options across the back

WB(S/A)/ CWB(S/A)/ FB(S/A) on the left then a D or S role on the right 

Team instructions would depend on who you were, going into a game as favorite or underdog

For an AF(A) I'd jiggle the roles around 

Tempted to try it out myself 

Edited by Johnny Ace

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Gawd knows, I was just throwing something out :D

I wouldn't want 2 of the 3 upfront on attack so they can track back. The Poacher in the centre would be the more static striker of the 3 where the DLF & CF would create the movement (DLF dropping deep, the CF roaming wide & deep) & support for the A role

Then I just went really simple in centre mid, CM-A to run into the box (the CF-S will roam wide), I always like the middle of the 3 to be on D, that left the left sided CM for the S duty but like I say, you've got all sorts of options, that's just the simplest. A CAR(S) could go on the left with a WB(A), a MEZZ(A) with a FB/WB(D) on the right 

Then you've got options across the back

WB(S/A)/ CWB(S/A)/ FB(S/A) on the left then a D or S role on the right 

Team instructions would depend on who you were, going into a game as favorite or underdog

For an AF(A) I'd jiggle the roles around 

Tempted to try it out myself 

Thanks I'll make some tweaks

I just drew 2-2 using this against Real Betis, what do you make of this set up? Too risky? During the game I changed McGinn to Attack also.

fm20.jpg

Edited by toon army 06

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

What style of football are you trying to achieve with this tactic? I am asking so that I could give you as appropriate advice as possible.

A creative passing Attacking style, when it comes to Tactics in the last few years at least my strength has been taking others created Tactics & tweaking them to how I want.

Starting from scratch hasn't worked for me much unless I've went say a top team sometimes, so any help is appreciated. 

Edited by toon army 06

18 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

A creative passing Attacking style, when it comes to Tactics in the last few years at least my strength has been taking others created Tactics & tweaking them to how I want.

Starting from scratch hasn't worked for me much unless I've went say a top team sometimes, so any help is appreciated. 

Okay. Considering that you play on the Balanced mentality, using the narrow 4222 formation and not managing a top team, here are my suggestions on what I would change if I wanted to implement the style of football you described.

First, the setup of roles and duties (changed ones are bolded):

F9     AF

SS     AMsu

CAR    DLPsu

WBsu   BPDde  CDde  WBsu

SKsu/de

- remove hold shape

- use standard (default) tempo instead of lower

- remove focus through the middle

- remove regroup

- remove distribution to CBs

- remove all out-of-possession instructions (leave them all on default)

- add the overlap right (but not always)

- tell both strikers and both AMs to close down more (via PIs)

Play and see if there is an improvement or not. If not, report back what you observed as problematic.

Okay. Considering that you play on the Balanced mentality, using the narrow 4222 formation and not managing a top team, here are my suggestions on what I would change if I wanted to implement the style of football you described.

First, the setup of roles and duties (changed ones are bolded):

F9     AF

SS     AMsu

CAR    DLPsu

WBsu   BPDde  CDde  WBsu

SKsu/de

- remove hold shape

- use standard (default) tempo instead of lower

- remove focus through the middle

- remove regroup

- remove distribution to CBs

- remove all out-of-possession instructions (leave them all on default)

- add the overlap right (but not always)

- tell both strikers and both AMs to close down more (via PIs)

Play and see if there is an improvement or not. If not, report back what you observed as problematic.

Thanks I'll try all that, I'm predicted to finish 8th in the league if that changes anything? When I remove reshape should I add counter or leave it blank? Should I set pressing to default?

I've set it up now, but it won't let me change the pressing intensity for the Strikers & AM's.

Edited by toon army 06

2 hours ago, toon army 06 said:

I'm predicted to finish 8th in the league if that changes anything?

For now nothing.

When I remove reshape should I add counter or leave it blank?

What do you mean by "reshape"? 

Should I set pressing to default?

Yes. Not only pressing but all out-of-possession instructions. 

it won't let me change the pressing intensity for the Strikers & AM's

It will when you set the team pressing to default.

52 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

For now nothing.

What do you mean by "reshape"? 

Yes. Not only pressing but all out-of-possession instructions. 

It will when you set the team pressing to default.

I meant regroup sorry & I'll make them other changes, I turned off out of possession instructions but still had full pressing.

I've played 2 games with your changes, but still had full pressing, against Everton & Leicester. Any advice on width? I played wide vs both teams, Leicester put 5 goals past me.

I replayed it with narrow & lost 2-0, one thing I noticed since stopping my GK passing to CB's is that he keeps kicking it to the left wing & especially against Leicester I lost possession.

I never saved the game, so will replay against Leicester making the pressing change.

The other 3 games was using two downloaded tactics

20191220230527_1.jpg

Edited by toon army 06

18 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

I meant regroup sorry & I'll make them other changes, I turned off out of possession instructions but still had full pressing.

I've played 2 games with your changes, but still had full pressing, against Everton & Leicester. Any advice on width? I played wide vs both teams, Leicester put 5 goals past me.

I replayed it with narrow & lost 2-0, one thing I noticed since stopping my GK passing to CB's is that he keeps kicking it to the left wing & especially against Leicester I lost possession.

I never saved the game, so will replay against Leicester making the pressing change.

The other 3 games was using two downloaded tactics

Can you post a screenshot of that new tactic (after the tweaks)? 

12 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Can you post a screenshot of that new tactic (after the tweaks)? 

I put pressing back to default & put higher pressing for the AM's & Strikers. I played Leicester with Standard width & starting with a standard defensive line & LOE & drew 2-2.

I scored both goals after pushing my Defensive line & LOE to higher. I coped with Leicesters threat a lot better this time, I'll see how I do over the next few games.

20191220235150_1.jpg

20191220235202_1.jpg

Edited by toon army 06

13 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. 

Just be careful with counter-press. It might well be the key cause of your defensive issues.

I'll look out for that, the biggest problem I've faced is against the 4231.

The Striker could always break through my Defence, Kean for Leicester was a big problem.  I'll see how I cope with that after these changes.

Edited by toon army 06

56 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

I'll look out for that, the biggest problem I've faced is against the 4231.

The Striker could always break through my Defence, Kean for Leicester was a big problem.  I'll see how I cope with that after these changes.

It might also be that this particular formation (narrow 4222) is not optimal for your team. Or you may try with 2 holding CMs (DLPsu and CMde instead of carrilero), to offer more protection to the back-line.

It might also be that this particular formation (narrow 4222) is not optimal for your team. Or you may try with 2 holding CMs (DLPsu and CMde instead of carrilero), to offer more protection to the back-line.

Yea i'll try that also, I'm going to see if I can get a 3 Strikers working again as well. This time I wont be risky interms of roles & pressing.

Do you think a F9 SS & DLF(s) is a good combination?

I changed the DLF(s) to an Advanced Forward, much better to break through the Defence. 3 wins out of 3 so far, I'm still using all the changes you mentioned apart from overlap right,though I'll still use that sometimes.

Edited by toon army 06

Do you think a F9 SS & DLF(s) is a good combination?

SS is not a striker role (assuming we are talking about a 3-striker setup). 

I changed the DLF(s) to an Advanced Forward

DLF? In the previous tactic, there was no DLF. The striker combo was F9 & AF.

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

SS is not a striker role (assuming we are talking about a 3-striker setup). 

DLF? In the previous tactic, there was no DLF. The striker combo was F9 & AF.

I was talking about another Tactic, I still have the 4222 with the changes you said I should do.

But I also created a 41212 from it, keeping it similar to the 4222 with a BWM & SS added instead.

I meant I picked a DLF(s) in my 41212, but then changed it to an Advanced Forward.

You're right using a SS isn't  3 Strikers, but doesn't it play like it almost? If I moved him up, which role would you recommend?

This is it, what do you think?

20191221204411_1.jpg

20191221204411_1.jpg

This is it, what do you think?

This setup looks pretty decent. I use the narrow 442 diamond with Man Utd, and sometimes (albeit rarely) my front 3 are set up precisely like yours. F9 drops deeper and serve as a quasi-advanced PM, AF pushes the defense and makes space for the SS to exploit. So, these 3 roles are okay.

Now, here are things I would modify...

First, using a BWM as a lone DM is needlessly risky IMHO. You need a role that will not press around like mad, but instead be primarily focused on protecting the back-line in a more restrained manner. Specifically in this type of system, I think HB is an "ideal" role. It would allow the fullbacks to bomb forward regularly and thus provide the necessary support from wide areas to your attacks. Alternatively, you can go with either the anchor or standard DM on defend duty.

Btw, I see that you insist on narrow formations. You need to know that fullbacks/wing-backs are key in such systems, so they really need to be good players, both defense-wise and attacking-wise. If you don't have such fullbacks, then better avoid narrow setups.

As for the midfield... given that you have 2 very attack-minded roles up front (SS and AF), they are likely to need a bit more support from deep. So in addition to a more attack-minded fullback, you also need one more mobile CM (ideally mezzala on support or BBM). 

Taking all the above into account, this is a possible setup for you to consider:

F9      AF

SS

DLPsu    MEZsu

HB/ACM

WBat     CDde   BPDde   WBsu/aut

SKsu/de

And once again - be very careful with the counter-press, especially in a narrow system, because it makes it easier for the opposition to exploit the extra space on the flanks.

19 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

This setup looks pretty decent. I use the narrow 442 diamond with Man Utd, and sometimes (albeit rarely) my front 3 are set up precisely like yours. F9 drops deeper and serve as a quasi-advanced PM, AF pushes the defense and makes space for the SS to exploit. So, these 3 roles are okay.

First, using a BWM as a lone DM is needlessly risky IMHO. You need a role that will not press around like mad, but instead be primarily focused on protecting the back-line in a more restrained manner. Specifically in this type of system, I think HB is an "ideal" role. It would allow the fullbacks to bomb forward regularly and thus provide the necessary support from wide areas to your attacks. Alternatively, you can go with either the anchor or standard DM on defend duty.

Btw, I see that you insist on narrow formations. You need to know that fullbacks/wing-backs are key in such systems, so they really need to be good players, both defense-wise and attacking-wise. If you don't have such fullbacks, then better avoid narrow setups.

As for the midfield... given that you have 2 very attack-minded roles up front (SS and AF), they are likely to need a bit more support from deep. So in addition to a more attack-minded fullback, you also need one more mobile CM (ideally mezzala on support or BBM). 

Taking all the above into account, this is a possible setup for you to consider:

F9      AF

SS

DLPsu    MEZsu

HB/ACM

SKsu/de

And once again - be very careful with the counter-press, especially in a narrow system, because it makes it easier for the opposition to exploit the extra space on the flanks.

I'll try all this out, yea it seems using the 4222 with counter press probably makes me even more exposed vs 4231. Playing against that even there Full Backs are a big threat & Strikers rip through my Defence.  In time maybe a 5221 might be a better option than the 4222. For now I'm hoping to get this 41212 working, if some games I went with another Striker which role would you suggest?

Opposition instructions, should I leave them to what my Assistant says? With my Forwards & SS pressing, should I select to press teams defences? Or is that overkill?

My starting Full Backs & my DM

fm20 lb.jpg

fm20 rb.jpg

fm20 dm.jpg

Edited by toon army 06

9 hours ago, toon army 06 said:

if some games I went with another Striker which role would you suggest?

Which another striker? How can I suggest any role if I don't know the player in question (as well as those around him)? 

Opposition instructions, should I leave them to what my Assistant says?

I never listen to the assistant when it comes to tactics. As for OIs, they are not necessary, so you don't have to use them if you are not sure how you should set them up in an optimal way. 

With my Forwards & SS pressing, should I select to press teams defences? Or is that overkill?

You mean if you play with a split block (with the SS and strikers told to close down more), should you also use the "Prevent short GKD" instruction? Or what?

19 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Which another striker? How can I suggest any role if I don't know the player in question (as well as those around him)? 

I never listen to the assistant when it comes to tactics. As for OIs, they are not necessary, so you don't have to use them if you are not sure how you should set them up in an optimal way. 

You mean if you play with a split block (with the SS and strikers told to close down more), should you also use the "Prevent short GKD" instruction? Or what?

I meant more for the future if I try it, I'd buy a Striker to fit the role maybe a DLF.

I mean on opposition instructions where you can select to press players more. Would selecting it to press defenders more or even just CB's be overkill? Because the SS & Forwards press high already, would they press too much?

So far the 41212 tactic is working, a few friendly games using it because of the 2022 World Cup.  

Edited by toon army 06

5 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

I mean on opposition instructions where you can select to press players more. Would selecting it to press defenders more or even just CB's be overkill? Because the SS & Forwards press high already, would they press too much?

If the front 3 are already instructed to close down more in their player instructions, then using OIs to press opposition CBs is unnecessary IMHO. You can use the player-related OI to press a specific player in a CB position if he does not look comfortable on the ball (poor first touch, composure, decisions, technique) or in the opposite case - if he is technically gifted and likes to play long passes and/or killer balls, so you want to obstruct him.

If the front 3 are already instructed to close down more in their player instructions, then using OIs to press opposition CBs is unnecessary IMHO. You can use the player-related OI to press a specific player in a CB position if he does not look comfortable on the ball (poor first touch, composure, decisions, technique) or in the opposite case - if he is technically gifted and likes to play long passes and/or killer balls, so you want to obstruct him.

Thanks i'll keep just as the Player instructions then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2019 at 23:50, Experienced Defender said:

F9      AF

SS

DLPsu    MEZsu

HB/ACM

SKsu/de

Finished the season now after these changes, I missed out on EC2 position by 3 points. The board are very disappointed, they've given me 8 points from the first 5 games next season to save my job.

The Tactic is working had I been using it since the start of the season, I might even have got 4th.

The board don't like that I'm not playing Attacking Football, my only real problem with the Tactic is we don't score a lot.

Would be more expressive for some games, be enough to please the board? I guess also it would increase my chances of scoring more without the risk of playing on a higher mentality?

My SS Striker is James Maddison, but he has come deep to get the ball. Is there a way to remove that trait? I don't see an option when trying to train a new trait.

fm fixtures 1.jpg

fm fixtures 2.jpg

fm table.jpg

Edited by toon army 06

43 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

Finished the season now after these changes, I missed out on EC2 position by 3 points. The board are very disappointed, they've given me 8 points from the first 5 games next season to save my job.

The Tactic is working had I been using it since the start of the season, I might even have got 4th.

The board don't like that I'm not playing Attacking Football, my only real problem with the Tactic is we don't score a lot.

Would be more expressive for some games, be enough to please the board? I guess also it would increase my chances of scoring more without the risk of playing on a higher mentality?

Post a screenshot of the current tactic, so that I could analyze it and see what you could do to potentially improve it (and hopefully satisfy the board in terms of playing "attacking football"). 

45 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

My SS Striker is James Maddison, but he has come deep to get the ball. Is there a way to remove that trait?

There probably is the option, but I don't think you need it. Comes deep is not a bad trait for SS, especially as Maddison is a creative player that can be very useful in the build-up phase. He'll drop deeper initially, but once the ball is in the final third, he'll look to get into the box and attack space due to the nature of SS role.

Post a screenshot of the current tactic, so that I could analyze it and see what you could do to potentially improve it (and hopefully satisfy the board in terms of playing "attacking football"). 

There probably is the option, but I don't think you need it. Comes deep is not a bad trait for SS, especially as Maddison is a creative player that can be very useful in the build-up phase. He'll drop deeper initially, but once the ball is in the final third, he'll look to get into the box and attack space due to the nature of SS role.

I like the idea of that then, I was worried he wouldn't push through the Defence enough because he'd come deep.

Here it's here, I sometimes use Pass in to space & sometimes the tempo to lower or higher.

20200103190802_1.jpg

Edited by toon army 06

26 minutes ago, toon army 06 said:

20200103190802_1.jpg

Remove the Overlap right. Both because WB on support is already attack-minded enough and there is a mezzala on his side. So there is no need to make the right flank so much vulnerable. 

Also remove the tight marking. It makes sense when you play a more defensive style of football and in a compact manner. In your setup however, it's more likely to do harm than good.

If your board wants you to play (more) attacking football, this is what you could do for starters (in addition to my 2 defense-related suggestions above):

- up the mentality to Positive

- tell the keeper to distribute to (both) CBs and FBs

- add the Be more expressive (and sometimes also add Work ball into box, but not always)

- change the passing to shorter

I don't know how good your defenders are, but assuming they are good enough - you can go with the higher DL/standard LOE combo (possibly with offside trap). And you can also use the split block involving the front 3 players (plus the mezzala on occasion). Against stronger opposition, you'll normally need to be a bit more restrained.

18 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Remove the Overlap right. Both because WB on support is already attack-minded enough and there is a mezzala on his side. So there is no need to make the right flank so much vulnerable. 

Also remove the tight marking. It makes sense when you play a more defensive style of football and in a compact manner. In your setup however, it's more likely to do harm than good.

If your board wants you to play (more) attacking football, this is what you could do for starters (in addition to my 2 defense-related suggestions above):

- up the mentality to Positive

- tell the keeper to distribute to (both) CBs and FBs

- add the Be more expressive (and sometimes also add Work ball into box, but not always)

- change the passing to shorter

I don't know how good your defenders are, but assuming they are good enough - you can go with the higher DL/standard LOE combo (possibly with offside trap). And you can also use the split block involving the front 3 players (plus the mezzala on occasion). Against stronger opposition, you'll normally need to be a bit more restrained.

I'll try that out thanks, I'm looking to create one using wide players could this work?

I'll have a closer look at Neves.

fm wingers.jpg

fm wingers.jpg

I'm looking to create one using wide players could this work?

No sure it's an optimal setup. These are the changes I would make:

- play the striker on attack duty (ideally DLF on attack or PF on attack)

- remove the Overlap left (there is already a natural overlap, plus WB on attack is very attack-minded by definition)

- remove the Tight marking (already discussed in my earlier post)

Also be careful with counter-press (don't use it all the time).

If you notice that you are too vulnerable on the right side, change the RB (Aarons) to standard FB on support or IWB on defend.

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

No sure it's an optimal setup. These are the changes I would make:

- play the striker on attack duty (ideally DLF on attack or PF on attack)

- remove the Overlap left (there is already a natural overlap, plus WB on attack is very attack-minded by definition)

- remove the Tight marking (already discussed in my earlier post)

Also be careful with counter-press (don't use it all the time).

If you notice that you are too vulnerable on the right side, change the RB (Aarons) to standard FB on support or IWB on defend.

Yea I'd taken that screenshot before removing tight marking & overlap from my other tactic.

I'll make these changes to that tactic, the 41212 on positive mentality is working well in preseason.

Some new signings that improve the quality of the starting 11, Gianluca Gaetano I'm thinking of playing as the SS but he looks like a great option for the Mezzala.

Konishi I'll play F9 with Diego Jota as AF, both have great qualities for both roles I can switch them around.

I also have Odsonne Edouard, my first choice AF last season as an option.

Bruno I was playing as the Mezzala last season, with John McGinn DLP & Neves HB.

I'm looking to start the season with James Maddison at Mezzala, do you think Bruno would be better at HB than Neves?

new signing cb.jpg

new signing.jpg

new suigning SS mezala.jpg

fm bruno.jpg

fm neves.jpg

1 hour ago, toon army 06 said:

Some new signings that improve the quality of the starting 11, Gianluca Gaetano I'm thinking of playing as the SS but he looks like a great option for the Mezzala.

Konishi I'll play F9 with Diego Jota as AF, both have great qualities for both roles I can switch them around.

I also have Odsonne Edouard, my first choice AF last season as an option.

Bruno I was playing as the Mezzala last season, with John McGinn DLP & Neves HB.

I'm looking to start the season with James Maddison at Mezzala, do you think Bruno would be better at HB than Neves?

Don't play a player in a particular role just because he can play that role. Make sure not only that the player can play the role in terms of his attributes but also that the role fits well into the system (tactic) as a whole. 

1 hour ago, toon army 06 said:

do you think Bruno would be better at HB than Neves?

They are pretty similar. I would play each of them in both roles. And I was wrong about Neves - he can play pretty nicely as a HB.

• 4 weeks later...

Season finished now, things went well including winning the League Cup. After about 10 games though, I changed the Mezzala to Attack because I didn't feel I was scoring enough goals.

It worked & I hit all the boards targets, this new season though will be hard. They want Europa league Football again, to win it this season & at least make the final of the Cups.

2 players I just signed, the Midfielder he looks like he could fit a number of roles I use.

fm table.jpg

fm new signing.jpg

fm new signing 1.jpg

• 4 months later...

3 Seasons after the last pics I posted, I've just won my first PL. 

I was using the 451 with the Half Back for the 3 seasons. 

I changed it from positive  to Attacking this season, then for about the last 2 months I tried a few different tactics.

I've used this one with an AM as an Advanced Playmaker

Good tactics on paper? Which changes would you make?

nufcpl.jpg

nufc tactic dm.jpg

nufc tactic.jpg