Playing around with a Counter-Attacking Vertical Tiki Taka

So been experimenting a bit the last few days, and recently hit upon something I'm interested in seeing come to fruition.

So the lowdown is, I want to create a system where when we have the ball, we can build up, not constantly moving at light speed, but if we get the ball early we can launch into some ruthless counters. With that i built this template.

97f528deef5bb53e3de193935b51c9e2.png

Yurukov and Baurenski as you can see have personalised instructions.

Baurenski has been told to dribble less (6 Dribbling) While Yurukov is actually a very well-rounded player so in BWM (S) I've given him the option to take more risks, effectively making a 3rd player if he's liable to get the ball in the midfield which we does quite often.

Baurenski and Yurukov due to those roles are actually the key to this system. If we're defending deep then Baur is the playmaker for a quick counter, funneling the ball to the front four, meanwhile Yurukov generally picks the ball up inside the opposition half - The Short GK cutoff often results in lobbed balls to the midfield that he picks off at will - Allowing him to take risks with the (S) role then allows him to get the ball forward even quicker to turn the game into a 4 v 4 in the opposition half.

Obvious risks to this system are the lack of a static midfielder. Originally I had Yurukov in a (D) role but I was also entertaining BBM for the sake of added verticality. The AMC as a Treq was designed with counter attacking in mind. Treq allows him to drift into appropriate channels/space to receive the ball which is probably going to lead to him dropping slightly deeper to pick up as the AMR/L both cut inside so his space will have to come from the midfield, this had the added idea of the player then breaking the defensive line/drawing a defender to allow the front 3 more freedom of movement and if a player doesn't follow him then he'll receive the ball in space and have room to work regardless.

Posting it to see if there's anything I've potentially overlooked. Defensive frailty is an issue for obvious reasons, but it's more an entertaining you score 3 we score 4 system.

In my opinion it wont work Away, defensive phase will be weak:

WB - At: No.

Focus Play Through the Middle: No.

Distribute To Centre-Back: No.

Counter-Press: Risky, but.

More Urgent - Risky, but.

T - At: Inefficient with current engine.

RGA - Su: Inefficent with defensive phase.

Play Out Of Defence: Unnecessary.

Be More Expressive: Unnecessary.

Counter: Unnecessary.

You can eventually plays yours at home and make some changes while playing Away.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

1 hour ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

In my opinion it wont work Away, defensive phase will be weak:

WB - At: No.

Focus Play Through the Middle: No.

Distribute To Centre-Back: No.

Counter-Press: Risky, but.

More Urgent - Risky, but.

T - At: Inefficient with current engine.

RGA - Su: Inefficent with defensive phase.

Play Out Of Defence: Unnecessary.

Be More Expressive: Unnecessary.

Counter: Unnecessary.

You can eventually plays yours at home and make some changes while playing Away.

Disagree with this, although its nothing personal. In my opinion its the biggest misconception in football second to none.

Playing away from home is no different to playing at home (baring in places like Italy and South America where some wollys have square/abnormally long pitches, making this the only difference). Grass is grass, football is football. You don't go away to Liverpool and lose cause they play on concrete, you lose cause theyre really good. You dont go away to Accrington Stanley and batter them cause theyre pitch suits you, its cause theyre awful. What matters is the opponent. If I'm playing Liverpool away or at home Ill probably play the same team, tactic, instructions, the lot. Similarly if I'm playing Accrington Stanley either home or away Ill probably play a different system to against Liverpool (due to the difference in quality of opposition), but it wouldn't vary home or away.

Football is football at the end of the day.

12 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

Disagree with this, although its nothing personal. In my opinion its the biggest misconception in football second to none.

Playing away from home is no different to playing at home (baring in places like Italy and South America where some wollys have square/abnormally long pitches, making this the only difference). Grass is grass, football is football. You don't go away to Liverpool and lose cause they play on concrete, you lose cause theyre really good. You dont go away to Accrington Stanley and batter them cause theyre pitch suits you, its cause theyre awful. What matters is the opponent. If I'm playing Liverpool away or at home Ill probably play the same team, tactic, instructions, the lot. Similarly if I'm playing Accrington Stanley either home or away Ill probably play a different system to against Liverpool (due to the difference in quality of opposition), but it wouldn't vary home or away.

Football is football at the end of the day.

Are you playing the same game? The engine applies malus (bonus/malus, understand the mechanics?) when playing Away, that's why the need to change the tactic (if you want to be competitive and win the game, that's it).

Edited by Tetsuro P12

6 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Are you playing the same game? The engine applies malus (bonus/malus, understand the mechanics?) when playing Away, that's why the need to change the tactic (if you want to be competitive and win the game, that's it).

Whilst there is a "small" advantage to playing at home, it has more to do with the standing of the opposition compared to your team.  So for example as a bottom team playing away at Liverpool, expect Liverpool to attack you.  Whereas playing as Man City away at Liverpool, the Reds will probably still attack but perhaps in a slightly more cautious manner.

So we can (if we want to) have a different tactic for home vs away matches, but the context of those matches can't be overlooked.  Personally I line up in the exact same manner regardless of who or where I am playing and adjust things during the match if I see a need.  Not everyone plays that way - there's no right or wrong way just whatever way you feel most comfortable with :thup:.

3 hours ago, herne79 said:

Whilst there is a "small" advantage to playing at home, it has more to do with the standing of the opposition compared to your team.  So for example as a bottom team playing away at Liverpool, expect Liverpool to attack you.  Whereas playing as Man City away at Liverpool, the Reds will probably still attack but perhaps in a slightly more cautious manner.

So we can (if we want to) have a different tactic for home vs away matches, but the context of those matches can't be overlooked.  Personally I line up in the exact same manner regardless of who or where I am playing and adjust things during the match if I see a need.  Not everyone plays that way - there's no right or wrong way just whatever way you feel most comfortable with :thup:.

I don't think it's that small... With FM17 I had my tactic working everywhere: home, away, etc. Now with FM20 I have to compromise (a thing that I don't like). With the same offensive tactics I would do 30 total shots at home while doing 3/4 total shots away, and this isn't not realistic nor acceptable (Why? Eventually the game should boost clear cut chances, not annihilite the quality of the away's team play! If we attack and they attack we should have a balance, not a 18 shots for them and 3 for us, that's why the bonus don't look to be that small). So, to make a 'work everywhere' tactic I had to make compromises, and finally found a tactic that do good at home and good away. The counter of this is that I do always win by a small margin, don't do many goals, but at least concede less. Point is that I don't like to be forced to play this way. There is a big chunk of Sigames customers that just want to make their play without wasting too much time tweaking here and there, playing the game fast by delegating stuff to staff (and they did wonders about that, the game is much evolved in this department, in fact I decided to abandon Touch in favor of the well, now, streamlined full version), doing what's necessary (we know that we, players, like the tranfer market, right? :D) and set up those 90 minutes with our preferred tactic. There is this big chunk that should not be overlooked by Sigames, I presume we are the biggest chunk, since people have usually not so much time to do this and that, and are generally compulsive (want to progress fastly and reach the end) or stressed, so there should be another way to make home team just 'a bit better' (again supporters at the stadium should eventually boost just the clear chances, or lessening them). I don't know if Barcelona play cautious away, in the real world, but I presume they don't, they always try to dominate the game. I would like to see the same for this (game).

Edited by Tetsuro P12