Trying to avoid the second half of the season slump

I posted this in the quickfire questions thread but was advised to break it out in to it's own thread for more assistance.

So I'm managing Scarborough in the Vanarama National North and halfway through the season I was top by 7 points (I'm predicted 2nd so I'm not massively out performing what was expected). All of a sudden however I'm not generating any goals - I've not scored in 4 games, which includes games against teams that are 21st and 24th in the VNN. I run into this in every FM and I'm determined to not let it beat me this time so I'm hoping you guys can offer some assistance and guidance on where I can improve or what to look for.

I'm aware the issue is that teams are probably now coming to play me and sitting back defensively and forcing me to break them down but I'm at a loss as to how to go about doing that. My starting tactic is a pretty standard 4231, trying to utilise wide play and a TM in the middle. I also have a 433 which has the same TIs, the thought being that this might create space in different areas or provide more runners from deep which might not be picked up by the deep defence (the CMa and BBMs).

These have been successful up to this point, but are obviously not getting the job done any more. Any thoughts on how I can tinker with these to help produce some more goals and wins, or general thoughts on avoiding the second half of the season slump?

Well, the first step you need to do is make your tactic(s) more balanced and sensible in terms of roles and duties, and as simple as possible in terms of instructions.

For example, in your 433 tactic, all players on the left side are on attack duties (WBat + CMat + IFat). This means that your left flank is extremely vulnerable defensively. And then you have further increased this vulnerability by instructions such as "Focus play down the left" and "Overlap left", both of which increase the mentality of the left back. Simply put - nobody is protecting/covering your left side when all these attack-duty players surge forward.

This same problem essentially repeats itself in your 4231 tactic as well. While here you do have a holding CM on that side in the form of DLP on defend, the very fact that you use an inherently vulnerable top-heavy formation without any DM  means that the sole holding DM is probably not enough to cover for such an attack-minded wing-back role (especially as the left winger is also on attack duty). And here again you use the "Focus play left" and "Overlap left" to only compound the risk further.

These were (or this was) just the most obvious defensive issues in both your tactics, but there are a few more.

However, before I move on to them, I want to ask you what was your reasoning behind the decision to use the Wing-play preset tactic (though somewhat customized)? There is nothing wrong in a wing-play style, I am just curious to learn more about how you approach tactics. Do you have the right players for that particular style of football, or you simply wanted to try and see how it works?

Thanks for replying, the reason for the wide play was that my wingers and LB are the strongest parts of my team while my striker is good in the air. I wanted the AML to essentially be a second striker, with the LB providing the width on that side, while the AMR is the width on the other side with the RB staying back. The TMa would then push up against the defence and create space behind him for the midfield. The other three defenders should stay back and give me a solid defensive base even while the LB is marauding forwards, with the DLPd as an outlet. 

Defensively the tactic has been rock solid, I don't think I've conceded 10 league goals so far this season (my laptop isn't to hand to check), and I'll regularly dominate possession (55-60%), Ive just stopped creating anything recently. 

OK, so after your post I removed the overlap left, hit early crosses and counter from the team instructions. I figure that as the LB is on WBa he'll get forward enough himself, hitting early crosses is probably a waste of time with only one man in the box and counter goes against my lower tempo setting. I've also started to change the defensive line and LOE when I get stuck against a team defending deep - I've moved my defensive line and LOE either up to higher or much higher to try and camp in the opposition's half. So far, so good from the first three matches - I've won 2-0, drew 0-0 and won 2-1 so I'm finally getting back among the goals.

1 hour ago, Britrock said:

Thanks for replying, the reason for the wide play was that my wingers and LB are the strongest parts of my team while my striker is good in the air. I wanted the AML to essentially be a second striker, with the LB providing the width on that side, while the AMR is the width on the other side with the RB staying back. The TMa would then push up against the defence and create space behind him for the midfield. The other three defenders should stay back and give me a solid defensive base even while the LB is marauding forwards, with the DLPd as an outlet. 

Defensively the tactic has been rock solid, I don't think I've conceded 10 league goals so far this season (my laptop isn't to hand to check), and I'll regularly dominate possession (55-60%), Ive just stopped creating anything recently

If so - plus taking all of the above into account - these is how I would set up the 4231 version of your tactic:

TMat

IFsu            AMat            Wat

DLPde    CAR

FBat    CDde   CDde    WBde

GKde

Let me now explain the tweaks I made...

First, I changed the AMC from APsu into AM on attack. Because if you want to play a wing-play style, then you clearly don't need two playmakers. You may not need 2 PMs even for possession football, let alone wing-play. One PM is quite enough (although even he is not necessary, but okay). 

You'll also note that I changed only the fullbacks' roles, but not duties. I did this in order to make the setup a bit more balanced, so that the difference between the two flanks would not be so extreme. The LB is still on attack duty, but as a FB he will be a bit more responsible defensively than he would have been as a WB on attack. And when coupled with an IF on support, he will naturally overlap, which means that you absolutely don't need the Overlap left instruction. On the right flank, the FB on defend is now WB on defend, so that he could provide more support on his flank while still remaining primarily defensive-minded. And given that the RB is on defend and RW on attack duty, an instruction such as Overlap right or Focus play down the right makes a lot more sense than the same type of instruction(s) on the left flank. Simply because - as I already explained in my previous post - both these instructions increase the mentality of the related fullback. Therefore, I would use either Overlap right (which slightly reduces the winger's mentality besides increasing the fullback's) or Focus play down the right (which also increases the fullback's mentality, but does not change that of the winger). However, using both the "Overlap right" and "Focus play right" would be a needless overkill (even if they are both used under the wing-play preset tactic). 

So let's cut the long story short... Up front, the TM on attack leads the line, which should help create space for the AMC to exploit from behind (hence the attack duty for the AM). Actually, the AM on attack should be your quasi "second striker", rather than the AML (or any wide forward). If you want a wide player to act as a sort of second striker, I fear that would require a considerably different approach (which I suppose is not what you want).

The attacking width is provided on both flanks through the right winger on attack - a role that usually links up with a lone striker on attack duty better than an IF on attack - and the attacking fullback on the left, who is supposed to deliver early crosses (usually after making an overlapping run behind his IF). By the time the LB arrives into the final third to deliver his cross, there will already be enough players both within and at the edge of the opposition penalty area to try and get themselves on the end of these crosses. The same basically applies to the right flank as well. 

Now, what about team instructions? Well, you are using (a lot) more of them than would be necessary. I know they are part of the preset wing-play, but most of these presets are full of overkills anyway. Besides, less is sometimes more (especially when it comes to FM tactics). What I want to say is - a number of your team instructions should be either modified or entirely removed.

For example, you use extremely wide width. While wider width absolutely makes sense in a wing-play tactic, its extreme version might be a bit too much - especially as you play on the Positive mentality (whereas the original wing-play is on the Balanced, as far as I remember?). For that reason, I would reduce the width just a notch - from extremely wide to just wider. Here you need to remember one of the most important things when it comes to the art of tactical creation - the mentality affects literally everything in your tactic (when you change your team mentality, you automatically change all other instructions, even if you have not touched any of them at all). 

When it comes to the instructions affecting your wide players' mentalities - e.g. overlaps/underlaps and focus play down a flank, respectively - I already explained what I would change and why.

Finally, I really do not see a single reason why you would use both short passing and (s)lower tempo in a tactical style such as wing-play. If you ask me, I would leave both passing and tempo on their default settings. After all, when you slow your attacks down that much, it only makes it easier for the opposition to consolidate their defense and thus defend more effectively - and you certainly don't want that, right?

Other instructions look okay to me. The only one I would remove (i.e. tone down) is the more urgent pressing and apply a split block instead. But since you said that you are "rock solid" in defense, I guess it should remain (I mean, why change something that has worked for you so far).

All in all, this would be my set of team instructions (under the Positive mentality):

- play wider, default passing, default tempo, overlap right (or focus play down the right, but not both at the same time) and hit early crosses (Play for set pieces may remain, but only if your team is really good in that area of the game; otherwise, I don't see the point of that particular instruction)

- counter, distribute to flanks (when it comes to the "Throw it long", make sure your keeper has a good rating for the Throwing attribute).

Any questions (or suggestions)?

28 minutes ago, Britrock said:

OK, so after your post I removed the overlap left, hit early crosses and counter from the team instructions

I did not say that you should remove either early crosses or counter (only the overlap left and focus play down the left).

Btw, I've just posted a detailed reply above, in which I explained what exactly I would change in your tactic and why. 

33 minutes ago, Britrock said:

OK, so after your post I removed the overlap left, hit early crosses and counter from the team instructions. I figure that as the LB is on WBa he'll get forward enough himself, hitting early crosses is probably a waste of time with only one man in the box and counter goes against my lower tempo setting. I've also started to change the defensive line and LOE when I get stuck against a team defending deep - I've moved my defensive line and LOE either up to higher or much higher to try and camp in the opposition's half. So far, so good from the first three matches - I've won 2-0, drew 0-0 and won 2-1 so I'm finally getting back among the goals.

Well, it seems that you have found the solution to your tactical issues. If so, please ignore my long post above (unless you encounter problems again) :thup:

Thanks @Experienced Defender, I appreciate the detailed response. I'll definitely look at applying those changes and see how I get on if I continue to struggle moving forwards.

P.s. the reason that play for set pieces is selected is that part of my club vision is to make the most of set pieces, so I thought I'd try to maximise the chances to do that.

Edited by Britrock

I have had the same problems for every FM, with always big streaks of losses/no wins after a very good period. Got some advice in another thread, and i have been using them...and it works for me. I still have some downs, but not as long as before.

1. Praise your players after matches when its possible (one player gets highlighted after match and often option to praise).

2. Change your teamtalks. I always went for green, but getting "white" can also be good. I try not to say the same match after match.

3. Rotate team. The one with most effect IMO, but most difficult. I now always change two players for match to match (its not a rule of thumb, but works for me)

Check your team dynamics. If your moral is good and you get some losses. Just vary teamtalks, rotate team. If moral is very low, take a teammeeting and get moral up.