Players potential ability

User0912

Apologies if in the wrong forum.

Any youth players you have with great potential is there a certain direction I should use so the players can reach the potential, does going on loan for a season help or does playing in the first team have the same effect ?

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good question. I am not sure I have discovered the silver bullet here.

For sure they have to play 1st team regularly to consistently improve attrs and ultimately achieve potential.

If they do that on loan, in my experience, they have to do it at a decent club with good facilities. They don't generally improve as well if they are slumming it down at Bury (no offense Bury fans). I had an awesome regen in an old FM14 save who I sent out on loan to Everton one year and he improved loooooads, and was a mainstay in my first team after that.

If you let them earn their stripes in your own first team, you have the opportunity to shape their training and their personality (through mentoring groups) and PPMs yourself, but you run the risk of putting an inexperienced player in your side. 

A bit like RL, its a balance. Everyone talks about Foden being the next big thing in the premier league but Guardiola hasn't loaned him out anywhere. He is very closely managing his development at Man City through careful introduction into the first team.

Overall, for high potential players I think you are better keeping them at the club and managing their development yourself rather than leaving it up to chance with them picking up traits and attributes under someone elses training regimes and facilities and mentoring groups.

On 13/08/2019 at 18:41, ntw001 said:

Overall, for high potential players I think you are better keeping them at the club and managing their development yourself rather than leaving it up to chance with them picking up traits and attributes under someone elses training regimes and facilities and mentoring groups.

This more or less sums it up for me, I tend to keep the 4-6 youngsters I feel have the best chance of making it in the first team, while the others end up going out on loan around the age of 18 to a club where they will be first choice at a level that is as high as possible, sometimes the loans work out really well, sometimes not so much

Let them ripen in your academy until they're about 17-18. Once they're older than 18, game time becomes a more decisive factor in their development so don't loan them out when they're 16-17.

Archived