Tactical Problems?

Sup guys

Back with something different today,

I've had some tough times on FM19 recently with tactics so I thought I'd browse through the several tactics on the community to determine what direction I should head in and well surprise surprise I stumbled across @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!'s Pep Half Back and Arsenal Invincible's, so I thought I'd dedicate a new career save in trying to replicate or further improve on these two tactics.

Currently in my first season at Arsenal and having looked at what the squad had to offer drastic change was need in order to achieve my goals (or so I believed) and these were my transfer dealings.

image.png

(Crazy, I know :idiot:)

The original idea behind these specific signings were that they could slot in right into the starting 11 and I could easily rotate with most of the youth Arsenal had (Nelson, Guendouzi etc), the other ideas were that based on mental, technical and physical attributes, the players signed fit both the tactics I was trying to replicate.

To some degree, I've liked what I've seen so far but there have been areas of concern  : 

Defence have done well (Dias and Holding have been an absolute dream) however with Tierney's job in trying to replicate the Great Ashley Cole, my left side of the field isn't producing that kind of combination play from LB, AML and STCL (Which is the side of the field the Invincible's attacked quite regularly with Cole, Pires and Henry) (Also seen on my analysis summary that out of 247 entries in the final third, only 44 have come from the left side)

Midfield is doing okay, I've got Doucoure injured at the moment, but Rodri has been exceptional. Torreira wanted to leave for PSG/Madrid and so he sat out a few games. James Rodriguez/Ozil have done okay - Rodriguez fits the system better as he doesn't have the tries killer balls often player trait.

Out Wide, Carrasco and Lozano ( Nelson and Smith Rowe as subs too) have performed to my expectations in the games so far, Naturally the wide players tend to do well regularly in my teams and funnily enough, they've been my main Goalscorers.

BUT, this brings into light my area of struggle as STCL and my AMC (Referring more to the Invincible tactic here) 

My strikers in Lacazette, Aubameyang and Geubbels aren't scoring chances or scoring goals and more often when opening the analysis summary it'll show "0 - Overall chances", I've tried tinkering with different roles to determine whether it'll help but nothing as of yet has found any consistency. 

I'm aware its early days (Geubbels still very young) But with experienced, clinical strikers such as Laca and Auba, I'm expecting regular goal contributions, whether it be in the goal or assist department (Of course you want goals but hey :lol:) I don't mind, they're just not doing enough. 

Has anyone got any advice they could offer me (Mainly on the Invincibles tactic as the Pep HB Tactic is more towards my second season, I'm open to making any changes, tactics screenshot below

image.thumb.png.cfd5513663a02a46fbee97e8689b7703.png

Peace ;)

11 hours ago, TiMOVELi said:

image.thumb.png.cfd5513663a02a46fbee97e8689b7703.png

This tactic suggests you are trying to play counter-attacking football (lower LOE, much higher tempo, pass into space, counter, regroup). While I love counter-attacking football, I am not sure if it's a good idea for a top team such as Arsenal (except against other top teams in away games), because most teams would look to play defensively against you and thus deny you the space needed for potential counter-attacks.

Also, when you play on attacking mentality, you don't need so many attack duties. Not only because of defensive risks, but also for the sake of your overall attacking performance (as players' individual mentalities are already high enough). 

A CF is not an "ideal" role for Aubameyang IMO, both in general and in this particular system. Poacher or AF (and maybe a PF on attack) are the roles I would consider for him.

If you still want to play this style of football with Arsenal and use a 442 system (and attacking mentality), I would try something like this:

PO

TQ

IWsu      CMde     BBM      Wat

WBsu    CDde   BPDde     IWBde

SKde

Attacking / shorter passing, default tempo, play out of defence, one notch narrower width (standard), pass into space, hit early crosses, overlap right / counter, distribute quickly / standard DL, lower LOE, default pressing, use tighter marking (and optionally/occasionally get stuck in)

Player instructions:

all the midfield 4 - mark tighter

Poacher (Auby) - move into channels, shoot more often

ML/IWsu - get further forward

Btw, I would prefer a SK on support, but fear that Leno's attributes (passing, vision, first touch) are not good enough. That's the only reason I opted for defend duty in this case. However, you can still try him on support, maybe it won't look so bad in the end. Experiment and see.

But again - I am pretty much uncertain if this kind of tactic (playing style) is gonna work for a top team like Arsenal.

You've gone way to extreme, your pretty much trying to force counter attacks even if they're not on because opponent is being defensive and keeping players back.  Attacking + much higher tempo + pass into space? Your forward is support with pass into space so dropping and trying to play other through already.  Ap will drop to collect and play through other's to.  The main runners are coming from ML and MR. If the midfield look for early through balls, whos available and can they beat the likely 6+ opponents behind the ball when they lose it?

It have a rethink, whilst you might of been inspired by two tactics I think the bits and pieces youve tried to piece together dont fit.

Archived