Known issues and solutions - FAQ

To follow on from my previous post, I have uninstalled the game and re-installed it under uniloc option. Exactly same problem:

It simply hangs/freezes when you click to go to Match. This is regardless of 2d or 3d engine being set on or off. The game plays through and sims everything fine... but you cannot go into a match. Whether in attendance or in charge of a team. Any assistance (and not a rant against the company/game) would be helpful, i've paid my money, I'm not bothered about the side issues I just want to get it working.

EDIT: Every fix that Si have suggested for other problems which I encountered on my laptop worked. Therefore I do believe that one magical tech guy will have a workable solution for this problem. Every time I go to match I have to ctrl alt del and kill the program because it freezes.

EDIT 2: To beat the whizzes to the punch I have included below the 'error' from the install log. its nonfatal so should be fine.

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException AddGameExplorerTasks() failed: Failed to retrieve GUID for application

ALSO my graphics card is NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400GS VGA Memory 256mb System Memory 2047 RAM running Quad Core. The cards brand new due to the last one fritzing. However I've never had a problem with FM before and I am mystified as to why the game will not even run the 2d engine. Just hangs when you click Match. An earliar post by Marc asked about screen resolution. I have a wide screen monitor and have the resolution happily defaulted to the one FM wants so thats not the problem. Any help appreciated, after all this time I would expect more people have had this problem and Si hopefully have a work around.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the game on the day it was released and had no problems at all - and then about a week ago half way through a game it just crashed and then when I tried to start it again I just get the soft anchor screen saying my trial period has expired and when I enter my Code it just gives me 'error -819' Can anyone help. I have tired everything. Re-installed, right clocked and tried to start as adminstrator but still get the same error

I just bought the game 2 days ago and went to install it on my computer today. I can start a new game and pick what countries i want to have playable but during the loading of the data base i get "MATCH_MANAGER::load_tactics() - could not load tactics" then the game will quit itself

If someone could help me that would be great thanks

Hi,

I installed the game using Uniloc last night and the game worked fine.

I have come to play on it this morning and it doesn't seem to load, I have tried to click on autorun but nothing seems to happen. I have tried to re-install the game but the same problem seems to occur.

The game also does not appear in programs as if it hasn't been installed.

Could someone please help me on this!??

Thanks

Bardi

And just incase you dont have my orginal post, here it is below

Good evening I am still having troubles with my football manager game, i did send an email a few weeks ago and there was no reply but i would appreciate a response as soon as possible My game loads fine, and everything else works - until i either click on the result of a match or submit my team for my own match - then the game crashes and on the screen it says: NOT WELL FORMED(INVALID TOKEN) AT LINE 1 OF HIGHLIGHTS .XMLThe strange thing is that the first two times i played on the game ,this did not happen - the game played fine in 3.D, the problem that happend those two times is after the second game played i a row the game would freze and since then nothingI have tried reinstalling it, changing the screen sizes , reducing the size of everything but still no luck I have downloaded the patch as well but although that has defo been instaled and is working( i know this due to manager and game updates) it has made no diffrence I am no wiz at computers, but i have never had any probs with FM08 here are all of my computers detailsIt is a ACER travelmate 5520 laptop with Vista AMD Athlon 64 x2 dualcore processerC1.8 GHZ TK552 X 256 KB L2 Cache15.4 WXGA ACER crystal brite LCDup to 384 MB ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Hyper memory 1 GB DDR2 80 GB HDD DVD super multi DL802 11b/g WLAN like i said i am no wiz on computers so i have included everything on the computer about what its components are Please help me out- i have been trying for weeks

Thanks for yor help James Nelson

Hey jnelson,

Let me know if this sort things out for you..

7. I get an "XML Parsing Error"

This appears to happen sometimes if the game encounters a problem and quits unexpectedly and settings become corrupt as a result of this.

Potential workaround:

Deleting your settings should in most cases:

- Make sure FM is not running.

- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, Application Data is hidden by default but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Windows Vista: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, AppData is hidden but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Mac OS X: /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/ (In the Finder Sidebar: Click your username, then go to Library -> Preferences -> etc..)

- Delete all sub-folders in this (the 'Settings' folder). Do not delete the entire "Football Manager 2009" folder in "Application Data"

- Now try to run the game.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=2062037#post2062037

I am getting passing xml passing errors only when trying to start a match the game has been working fine since release. im on vista. can someone please advise on the best course of action to fix this issue. As found several options on forums. Many thanks. Feels like a suspension

Please check my above reply (#3408) - the suggested workaround should apply to you too.

This game is a joke! As soon as i open the game, it says there is a problem and shuts down! Whats going on? its been running fine lately! Chopperphil has anything worked for u yet?

No mate not yet, thanks for the concern though. Still got the same problem. Im hoping Bardi can sort it today though!

I will try explain my problem a little better:

1: I have to click everything twice for things to happen.

2: When I click the mouse to move the bar showing (or any other bar) how fast you want your players to pass the ball around, it keeps moving. The same happens when I want to set an asking price for a player.

3: I cannot write anything in "Search" without pressing "enter" after each letter I type.

I dont get any errormessages, so a screenshot wouldnt help here. It seems to me that the focus is wrong here, but I have no clue how to solve the problem.

Hey Nighthawk24,

Were you having these problems with the demo?

Hey, it seems like everyone is using the Patch alright but I - without sounding like an idiot - just don't know how to download it

I have this link:

http://torrent.sigames.com:7000/torrents/fm2009_910-pc.exe.torrent?226495BCD9AC9267D30E9FAB48A95F0734165615

I click on this link and it asks me to Open, Save or Cancel.

From this point onwards, I have no idea what to do!

Any help greatly appreciated. And if possible - a step-by-step guide on how to install this. Thanks :S

Hi

I have bought FM09 through steam and it worked fine for the first week. Now when i try to load the game it says The game is unavailable. Please try another time.

I have tried to find a similar post but haven't had any luck.

Please Help

Regards

Lee

Try running the game directly (as opposed to via Steam).

To do so, go to "C: Program Files - Steam - Steam Apps - common - Football Manager 2009".

Hey, it seems like everyone is using the Patch alright but I - without sounding like an idiot - just don't know how to download it

I have this link:

http://torrent.sigames.com:7000/torrents/fm2009_910-pc.exe.torrent?226495BCD9AC9267D30E9FAB48A95F0734165615

I click on this link and it asks me to Open, Save or Cancel.

From this point onwards, I have no idea what to do!

Any help greatly appreciated. And if possible - a step-by-step guide on how to install this. Thanks :S

You need to download a BitTorrent download client.

Try http://www.download.com/BitComet/3000-2196_4-10296306.html

Hi Bardi,

When I tried to run a game it came up with an XML Parsing error sayng something like "UK pensioners are fleeing the country to avoid the winter fuel costs" or something. I remember viewing a website around 15 minutes before opening the game. I managed to click through them and open up my saved game.

Once I've started playing, it won't let me save the game. I hold CTRL and S and the orange bar loads up before saying The game could not be saved, and returning to the screen. I tried saving it under a different name, but it didn't work.

I only created this game after I deleted all the cache files that you told me to do, so I have no idea what is going on.

Can you help? I'm getting so frustrated with this game-so many faults!

:thup:

Have you tried to save the game when trying to exit it? You should be prompted if you'd like to save the game then.

Hi...the whole game is working fine for me apart from one thing...during a game im not given the option of viewing the game in 3D mode...its just greyed out.

like i said tho the rest of the game is working fine and so far im lovin it.

Please Help.

Assuming you are running the patched v9.1.0 version of FM 09, this is definitely because your graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements to view matches in 3D camera view, unfortunately.

I put the disc in and do everything it says, with Steam and all of that. Then it installs ok and on Steam it says 100% ready but when I click on FM09 to try and play the game, it comes up 'Windows cannot start this program because it has encountered a problem'. It doesnt tell me what the problem is.

Please help.

I get a xml parsing error message with the following message:

mismatched tag at line 52 of config.xml

record>

I followed the instructions as suggested and can now get the game to play but as soon as I try to change to a new skin or tick the "reload skin on confrim" It crashes with the same message. How can I get to use another skin without it crashing?

It's only just started with this problem today, before I played it with another skin with no problems. I have downloaded facepacks and add on graphics would this make a difference? This is the only thing that has changed from the last time I played the game.

Thanks

May this apply to you..

Custom Graphics Errors

We've also heard of people experiencing game errors and crashes after adding custom graphics and logos to the game

Be CERTAIN you have not placed these custom files in your 'Sports Interactive' folder found in 'Program Files'

ALL custom graphics need to go into your 'Sports Interactive' folder found in 'My Documents'

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=74469

..?

Last night, my computer crashed after I had closed FM. Now when I try and load my save games, it says it can't be loaded. so I tried to start a new game, and when creating the new game, just after I choose which leagues I want to run, I get the message that a serious application error has occured, and it says something about MyDocuments/SportsInteractive/FM2009/crash dumps.

I've been pulling my hair out, can anyone help me with this? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Last night, my computer crashed after I had closed FM. Now when I try and load my save games, it says it can't be loaded. so I tried to start a new game, and when creating the new game, just after I choose which leagues I want to run, I get the message that a serious application error has occured, and it says something about MyDocuments/SportsInteractive/FM2009/crash dumps.

I've been pulling my hair out, can anyone help me with this? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Yeah I have the exact same problem as this (see above post), please can you help us?

As with kps, apoligies is this has been asked before.

Okay, after installing football manager via Stream, all was going dandy, I clicked on preferences to take 3D off (a friend of mine who has the game claims it goes rather slow), and change skin. I may have clicked something along the lines of skin cache(Sorry for not being specific) now that I remember, confirm changes and went off Football Manager. A few hours later I open Football Manager 2009 again to get a blackscreen after loading screen that follows the copyright information and the warchild (I think) logos.

I believe this has something to do with the skin cache as it's the only notable thing I did to change the game, in the end I could'nt upload the skin I downloaded as I forgot to unpack it from it's zip file, so it couldn't be that.

Thanks for you time, any help would be greatly appriciated, as I haven't even managed to play the game at all.

Please try resetting your cache by doing the following:

- Make sure FM is not running.

- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, Application Data is hidden by default but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Windows Vista: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, AppData is hidden but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Mac OS X: /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009 Demo/ (In the Finder Sidebar: Click your username, then go to Library -> Preferences -> etc..)

- Delete all sub-folders in this (the 'Settings' folder). Do not delete the entire "Football Manager 2009" folder in "Application Data"

- Now try to run the game.

If this doesn't work, you may want to have the game re-installed.

Apoligies if this has been asked before:

My game keeps getting stuck on the black loading screen where "welcome" is shown in many languages. At first I would just ctrl alt delete and try again and that would do the trick. Its not working now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I would probably have to suggest to you read the following..

White & Black Screen Issues

There are three probable causes for you getting a white or black frozen screen upon starting the game.

The First reason could be that your Cache files have become corrupted and deleting them will fix the issue.

To do this follow either of these paths depending on your Operating System.

Windows XP:

C:\Users\<User Name\App Data\

Vista:

C:\Users\<User Name>\App Data\Roaming

Once you can see inside those folders delete the Sports Interactive Folder.

If you can’t see those folders you will have to make “Hidden” files viewable.

For Vista:

In a window, go to 'Organize'->'Folder and Search Options'->'View'-> and select 'Show hidden files and folders'.

For XP:

Make sure you are able to see hidden folders:

When in a window, go to 'Tools'->'Folder Options'->'View'-> and make sure 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected.

If this doesn’t solve your issue then please follow the steps for updating your Java / Graphics Card drivers from the “How too” section above. These are the most common reasons for the black/white screen issues.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=74469

I have played this series since the earliest CM release on the Amiga back in the 90's.

I am totally frustrated with this release, I bought it yesterday and installed no problem, started off fine and then I got a screen freeze when going to a match, switched off the 3d engine and it seemed to work ok (having to find a temporary solution to a new addition to the game is not good enough!)

Thought I would download the patch which I did this morning, now I cannot even proceed to a match - I get a direct sound error, the problem is I am not going to scroll through 16 pages of issues to find what might be the same as mine.

In this day and age why do Sports Interactive feel they can cash-in at £29.99 a time with a game that is nowhere near finished? It shouldn't be up to the user to try and fix issues and it shouldn't be up to the user to join this forum to get answers. No other game release I have ever bought has required me to jump through hoops to get it to work.

I will be returning my game to the store and requesting a refund, never to be played again - what a load of s@*t.

I'm sorry that you've been having problems getting the game to run without any hiccups.

The below should hopefully lead to a more troublefree FM 09 experience for you..

4. I'm getting a message that says: "Direct Sound error -2004287480" when entering a match.

Potential workaround:

- Update your sound card drivers or disable in game sound.

- To disable sound:

- Go to the Preferences screen ('Options' -> 'Preferences').

- Go to the 'Display & Sound' section.

- In the 'Sound Settings' area, deselect 'Play Sounds' and confirm your changes.

- You should also ensure your DirectX is up to date.

- Install the Microsoft DirectX re-distributable package from here:

- Web Installer: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

- Full re-distributable: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C1367BC3-4676-481A-BFAA-5C15D1D7199D&displaylang=en

- Update the SoundDriver for your particular system (visit the system manufacturer website and check their support section on drivers for your particular system - See Useful Link below for common system websites)

hi there, I have a problem when trying to load the data editor. When I try to run the exe, it comes up with the error; "Unable to load resources! Couldn't find the data folder!". Any help is appreciated :thup:.

Download whichever files apply to you below, and see if it makes any difference.

XP Users

Click the links below and download the two files, then install the files in the order they are listed here. When the installation of the last file is complete re-start the computer.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (This is a cumulative bug fix for the file above)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en

(Please note, these files require Windows Service Pack 2 or above being installed on your computer to run).

Vista Users

First download and install these two files and when installation is finished re-start the computer

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en

Hi I've downloaded the patch and still having problems with the editor.

It does not open and says error.

How do i fix this?

I have tried looking through all 30 odd pages.

Please take a look at my previous post which contains links to download from to fix an editor related issue.

This may be relevant to your problems.

Originally Posted by ross123456789

i keep getting fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience up every time i try to start it

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP THIS IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW CAN YOU SELL A GAME THAT DOESNT WORK PROPERLY!!!!!?????

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO??

CHANGED THE TARGET TO RESET PREFERENCES BUT SUPRISE SUPRISE IT'S STILL NOT WORKING!

Okay chopperphil.

Sorry for having to wait for a reply.

You need to let me know the following:

1- Have you installed the v9.1.0 patch? (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961)

2- Have you installed the Microsoft DirectX SDK? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en)

3- Did you play the demo? If yes, did you have any similar problems playing it?

I'm not able to install Football Manager 2009 at all. I get the following error message when running both Autorun and Setup.exe:

"This application has unexpectedly quit. Invocation of the Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit (LAX).

Details:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.getUIError(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JRootPane.createGlassPane(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JRootPane.<init>(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.createRootPane(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.frameInit(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.g(DashoA8113)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.h(DashoA8113)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA8113)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA8113)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)

at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113) ............."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling newest Java, then rebooting. Still yields the same result. What should I do?

can anyone help?

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER FOR THIS!!!!

I got the game on the day it was released and had no problems at all - and then about a week ago half way through a game it just crashed and then when I tried to start it again I just get the soft anchor screen saying my trial period has expired and when I enter my Code it just gives me 'error -819' Can anyone help. I have tired everything. Re-installed, right clocked and tried to start as adminstrator but still get the same error

Okay chopperphil.

Sorry for having to wait for a reply.

You need to let me know the following:

1- Have you installed the v9.1.0 patch? (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961)

2- Have you installed the Microsoft DirectX SDK? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en)

3- Did you play the demo? If yes, did you have any similar problems playing it?

Ok mate no worries I know your busy! Yeah im on steam so got the patch. I have installed the latest directx. The demo was fine. The game was originally fine then a few days after installation and playing it with no problems I started to get the error message.

Ok mate no worries I know your busy! Yeah im on steam so got the patch. I have installed the latest directx. The demo was fine. The game was originally fine then a few days after installation and playing it with no problems I started to get the error message.

Did you download any custom graphics?

Have you tried re-installing via Steam (or Uniloc even)?

Archived