Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Usually means your games gone and you have to start a new one i did change it on FM08 but i cant really remember how it was done

if you get lucky it usually saves a backup so check on Load Game and see if there is a backup file and open that

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After installing the game can not run the file fm.exe, I do not know what the problem is, a couple of times I have installed this game and there were no problems before.

1btycjy3ulcvr12mdg68.jpg

I tried with all versions of the game (900, 910, 920, 930) and always the same thing.

Sorry for bad English, I use translate.google.

Anyone to help?

Hi, don't know if you can still fix 2007 games but I get a serious error message in my save on exactly the same date (17 July 2008) every time. I am on the latest patch and haven't added any facepacks etc (wouldn't know how even of I wanted to!)

I looked through various threads and tried some of the suggestions but none worked. My laptop was only bought last year so should be well equiped to run FM07

I have a save on the day it crashes if that helps which I can upload (instruction will be needed!)

Thanks

Hi I have looked through these forums and as yet not found a solution to my problem, if I have missed it I appologise but I am very tired after reading 55 pages :p.

My problem is after the install anywhere process I get this error

"This application has unexpectedly quit. Invocation of the Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit (LAX).

Details:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.getUIError(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JRootPane.createGlassPane(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JRootPane.<init>(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.createRootPane(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.frameInit(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.g(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.h(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA8113)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)

at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113)

I have got the latest java, and drivers as I have just re installed my OS. Wanderer had the same problem but it seems he ran out of patience with you and sold his copy on ebay, I hope that I do not have to go through the same.

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators
it is all my saves that arent working even the backups :( thanks anyway mate

Have you re-installed or anything? Perhaps your not playing with the most updated version of the game, and your saves were from that version.

• Administrators
Anyone to help?

Delete the following files:

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

Then uninstall and re-install the game. Let me know how you get on, thanks.

• Administrators
Hi, don't know if you can still fix 2007 games but I get a serious error message in my save on exactly the same date (17 July 2008) every time. I am on the latest patch and haven't added any facepacks etc (wouldn't know how even of I wanted to!)

I looked through various threads and tried some of the suggestions but none worked. My laptop was only bought last year so should be well equiped to run FM07

I have a save on the day it crashes if that helps which I can upload (instruction will be needed!)

Thanks

Have you got the latest patch for FM2007 - I think it was 7.0.2 - let me know, thanks.

• Administrators
Hi I have looked through these forums and as yet not found a solution to my problem, if I have missed it I appologise but I am very tired after reading 55 pages :p.

My problem is after the install anywhere process I get this error

"This application has unexpectedly quit. Invocation of the Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit (LAX).

Details:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.getUIError(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JRootPane.createGlassPane(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JRootPane.<init>(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.createRootPane(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.frameInit(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.g(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.h(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA8113)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)

at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113)

I have got the latest java, and drivers as I have just re installed my OS. Wanderer had the same problem but it seems he ran out of patience with you and sold his copy on ebay, I hope that I do not have to go through the same.

Thanks in advance.

What's your 'username' on your system?

After launching my game through steam the following message appears:

"not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml"

I have added the --reset_preferences in the target field but to no avail.

please help!!!!

McD

Ok, this is getting beyond a joke, 2 days waiting for an answer on here, now I am on the phone to CS. Been on hold for 45 minutes. It seems to me like you got our money so nothing else matters. If I dont get this sorted today I want my money back and the money for this extensive phone call, which is bound to cost me an arm and a leg.

*Update*almost an hour waiting to speak to someone now, this is not very good customer support. CS should stand for Cant speak, rather than customer support.

I am normally a very placid person, but the way that you conduct you support team is driving me up the wall. Would prefer it if you dont know how to help, to just say sorry we dont know you wasted your money, but to say nothing is like you dont care.

*update2* 1 hour 42 minutes and still nobody has answered, please for god sake, pull your bleeding fingers out and sort this crap out. You are by far the WORST company I have ever had the misfortune to have to speak to. I have every one of your fm's and champmans from way back when it came out on the amiga. NEVER EVER WILL I BUY ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR PRODUCTS.

"hours waiting on the phone to be answered, then I got cut off are you taking the p**s. You obviously have my email were I registered. Email me for my phone number and you can ring me. I expect this to be done in the next 24 hours. If no response by then I am going to OFT, watchdog and the papers and anybody else who I can publicly smear your name with.

• Administrators

You need to calm down Scoose, yours is a very specific issue which is related to something on your system, not within our game. If you search Google (as I have) you'll see many people have had a similar issue with various completely different programs. The only fix I've managed to find so far was when a user had a conflicting 'system' name, which solved his problem. I'm trying to find a fix for this and I apologise for no-one answering the customer service phone - can I enquiry what number you rang?

Thanks.

• Administrators
After launching my game through steam the following message appears:

I have added the --reset_preferences in the target field but to no avail.

please help!!!!

McD

First of all delete your cache and settings files by doing the following:

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

IN XP: Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

IN VISTA: Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Organize' then 'Folder and Search Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

Then try and run the game. If this still fails to work, follow the instructions below:

The game says it cannot be loaded

This can sometimes be resolved it by defragmenting the hard drive.

Open and run Disk Defragmenter by doing the following:

Windows XP

1: Click “Start”

2: Click “My Computer”

3: Right Click the local Disk that contains the FM2009 installation.

4: Go to “Tools”

5: Click “Defragment Now”

6: Click “Anylise”

7: Click “Report” – Check to see if the saved game that is not loading is listed as having missing fragments.

If it does have missing fragments then move the save to an external source (USB Memory Key, External Hard Drive) and try loading the game fro there. If the game works from the external source then running a full Defrag on the Drive should allow you to load it again. If not then your game is probably corrupted.

Windows Vista

1: Click “Start”

2: Click “Computer”

3: Right Click the local Disk that contains the FM2009 installation.

4: Select “Preferences”

5: Select “Tools”

6: Select “Check Disk”

7: Select “Start”

If the Save Game was showing any missing fragments then try to load the game again as Check Disk would have attempted to fix the problem. If that does not work follow the steps from Windows XP. Copy the file to an external source and attempt to run it from there. If successful defrag the Hard Disk and then try again.

• Administrators

Scoose I need to see your dxdiag and Belarc audit log - can you email these to neil.brock[at]sigames.com?

To get your dxdiag do the following:

You can find this by going to Start -> Run -> Type Dxdiag

Then click 'Save All Information' and you can save the information as a text file

For the belarc audit log you need to go here - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Let me know via that email address, thanks.

You need to calm down Scoose, yours is a very specific issue which is related to something on your system, not within our game. If you search Google (as I have) you'll see many people have had a similar issue with various completely different programs. The only fix I've managed to find so far was when a user had a conflicting 'system' name, which solved his problem. I'm trying to find a fix for this and I apologise for no-one answering the customer service phone - can I enquiry what number you rang?

Thanks.

When i try to load the game, i am instantly prompted with the message:

'Football Manager 2009 has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'

This message comes up immediately, as a window displaying FM doesn't appear.

Before this message, Football Manager 2009 worked fine, and i am still waiting for Windows Vista to notify me!

Any ideas?

In the Install log this is the error that came up:

com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException AddGameExplorerTasks() failed: Failed to retrieve GUID for application

I have tried deleting the cache, with no luck.

Help would be great, is been about 5 months since i last played on FM09!

Cheers, cM.

I have a problem registering the game by phone, the program runs through all the codes, and then says activation complete, but as soon as I try to launch the game, it goes back to the please register screen. Please help!

• Administrators

Have you downloaded any custom skins/facepacks or logos? If so I suggest removing them from the game as they may be causing this.

I would also suggest running the game in windowed mode - for details look at the following thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64783

Let me know how you get on.

When i try to load the game, i am instantly prompted with the message:

'Football Manager 2009 has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'

This message comes up immediately, as a window displaying FM doesn't appear.

Before this message, Football Manager 2009 worked fine, and i am still waiting for Windows Vista to notify me!

Any ideas?

In the Install log this is the error that came up:

com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException AddGameExplorerTasks() failed: Failed to retrieve GUID for application

I have tried deleting the cache, with no luck.

Help would be great, is been about 5 months since i last played on FM09!

Cheers, cM.

Have you downloaded any custom skins/facepacks or logos? If so I suggest removing them from the game as they may be causing this.

I would also suggest running the game in windowed mode - for details look at the following thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64783

Let me know how you get on.

I haven't downloaded any skins or facepacks, and just tried running the game in windowed mode. It ended up with the same message, Football Manager 2009 Stopped Working.

Whats strange is that i can still load up and play football manager 2008 without any problems, as i could with Football Manager 2009 until it decided one day that it hated me!

Is there anything else you can suggest?

• Administrators

Yeah try deleting the following folder:

IN XP: Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

IN VISTA: Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Organize' then 'Folder and Search Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

After doing so try and run the game, if this still fails, re-install the game and try again. Let me know how you get on, thanks.

Yeah try deleting the following folder:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

After doing so try and run the game, if this still fails, re-install the game and try again. Let me know how you get on, thanks.

Thanks mate, after many months, i'm back on the FM2009 scene!!!

(Y)

Can anyone help me with the issue I'm having please?

- I'm running FM09 in windowed mode on my laptop (Acer Aspire One)

- Have installed latest update (.3)

- Was having issues after this but deleted the hidden Football Manager 2009 folder as suggested above and this worked perfectly (Thanks Neil!) However I'm still having a couple of issues.

- The major issue is that every time I try to view Preferences the game crashes. This happens from both the main menu and during the game. ("FM.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close") Is this a known knock-on of either windowing or the above issue that I experienced recently?

- The other (minor) issue (and apologies if this is the wrong thread) is that when I view the player interaction screen to comment on transfer speculation or comment on another teams player I cannot see the list of optional responses. Only a small arrow icon. Not sure if this is a result of playing in Windowed mode but I keep issuing hands off warnings when I want to say I'll sell for the right price... ah well.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Hey I would've read through the 55 or so pages to find out if anybody else had the same problems as me, but with limited time I only got as far as 17 pages without finding anybody with the same problems as me. I bouth fm09 a month or so ago and once I finished downloading everything it was running perfect until last week when my saved games wouldn't start simply telling me that saved game wouldn't open.

Then I tried starting a new game but that to wasn't possible because the moment I picked my countries,leaguages and size of my game and the loading process began a crash dumps would pop up closing everything. Now I have absolutly no idea what to do and I searched every where on the internet for it and the only advice I could come up with was from a friend who suggested I try deleting the crash dumps folder from my FM09 stream account. Which wasn't the best of advices because now I fm09 isn't on my stream account and when I try to reactivate my liscene key steam tells me that I already have the game. So I was left with no other option but to reinstall the game but using a different method of varification instead of steam but that too didn't help because the saved games from before are still there which still wont open and whenever I try to stay a new game CRASH DUMPS keeps popping up. I would really like some help because I don't know what to do FM09 is my life!!! :p

ps. Any help getting to play the game again would be so appreciated.

Hi, i'm hoping you can help. I had a problem with my games after my Laptop crashed - the game i was saving would not load, and i was unable to save any other games i opened. I tried a few things, then uninstalled and re-installed the game, and did a chkdsk on my computer.

After this, i re-loaded a back up save of my game, and it works fine except that every time i load or quit the game, it tells me that there is an 'XML parsing error', something about the first line, i can't remember the exact phrase.

However, the game then works fine. Is there any way to fix/get rid of this, and does it mean there is an unfixable problem with this save or is it just a settings issue?

Thanks

• Administrators

Hi, have you forced windows mode, or have you done it via the preferences? Also what resolution is your system running at, and what size is your screen? Let me know, thanks.

Can anyone help me with the issue I'm having please?

- I'm running FM09 in windowed mode on my laptop (Acer Aspire One)

- Have installed latest update (.3)

- Was having issues after this but deleted the hidden Football Manager 2009 folder as suggested above and this worked perfectly (Thanks Neil!) However I'm still having a couple of issues.

- The major issue is that every time I try to view Preferences the game crashes. This happens from both the main menu and during the game. ("FM.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close") Is this a known knock-on of either windowing or the above issue that I experienced recently?

- The other (minor) issue (and apologies if this is the wrong thread) is that when I view the player interaction screen to comment on transfer speculation or comment on another teams player I cannot see the list of optional responses. Only a small arrow icon. Not sure if this is a result of playing in Windowed mode but I keep issuing hands off warnings when I want to say I'll sell for the right price... ah well.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

• Administrators

Hi Nomad, do you have the 9.3 patch installed? If not do so (if you're running via Steam this will do it automatically, if not you can download it via links found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355) Deleting the crash dumps won't make any difference, they are just files which detail the crashes themselves.

I would also suggest deleting the following files:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

Let me know how you get on, thanks.

Hey I would've read through the 55 or so pages to find out if anybody else had the same problems as me, but with limited time I only got as far as 17 pages without finding anybody with the same problems as me. I bouth fm09 a month or so ago and once I finished downloading everything it was running perfect until last week when my saved games wouldn't start simply telling me that saved game wouldn't open.

Then I tried starting a new game but that to wasn't possible because the moment I picked my countries,leaguages and size of my game and the loading process began a crash dumps would pop up closing everything. Now I have absolutly no idea what to do and I searched every where on the internet for it and the only advice I could come up with was from a friend who suggested I try deleting the crash dumps folder from my FM09 stream account. Which wasn't the best of advices because now I fm09 isn't on my stream account and when I try to reactivate my liscene key steam tells me that I already have the game. So I was left with no other option but to reinstall the game but using a different method of varification instead of steam but that too didn't help because the saved games from before are still there which still wont open and whenever I try to stay a new game CRASH DUMPS keeps popping up. I would really like some help because I don't know what to do FM09 is my life!!! :p

ps. Any help getting to play the game again would be so appreciated.

• Administrators

I could do with knowing exactly what it says, but all XML issues are covered in this thread (you may have to scroll down a bit!) - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=74469

Let me know how you get on, thanks.

Hi, i'm hoping you can help. I had a problem with my games after my Laptop crashed - the game i was saving would not load, and i was unable to save any other games i opened. I tried a few things, then uninstalled and re-installed the game, and did a chkdsk on my computer.

After this, i re-loaded a back up save of my game, and it works fine except that every time i load or quit the game, it tells me that there is an 'XML parsing error', something about the first line, i can't remember the exact phrase.

However, the game then works fine. Is there any way to fix/get rid of this, and does it mean there is an unfixable problem with this save or is it just a settings issue?

Thanks

• Administrators
Just got my Football Manager 2009 disc yesterday, and my laptop cant read it. :(

It does load Dvd's and I've not till now had an issue with ever installing a DVD, whats wrong with the disc ? :confused:

My computer will not read my DVD disc

You can download the game in Steam without using the disc using the game code you have from your purchased game.

Download Steam from here - http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Install Steam on your computer

Once installed, open up Steam

Go to My Games

Go to Activate a product on Steam

Enter your Activation Code found on the back of the manual. (Use http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see you got all the 0's and o's right)

Steam should now download your game.

My computer will not read my DVD disc

You can download the game in Steam without using the disc using the game code you have from your purchased game.

Download Steam from here - http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Install Steam on your computer

Once installed, open up Steam

Go to My Games

Go to Activate a product on Steam

Enter your Activation Code found on the back of the manual. (Use http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see you got all the 0's and o's right)

Steam should now download your game.

Thank you Brock! :D I took a while to remember my old steam account but got there in the end. Now I can manage my 3D team:thup:.

I tried to install FM09 on my new laptop, but once I entered the activation key, which was activated on my old laptop, it said it couldn't because it couldn't connect to the internet. And I followed the steps above but it still doesn't work :S

can any one help me with getting the game to work on my acer net book, i paste the soft ancor key and it doesnt work what ever i try just a simple yes or no to will it will work will do to stop me wasting my time geting it to work on this

thanks

try this http://www.footballmanager.com/fixv2.zip

all the instructions on what to do are on page 1 of this thread

that fix kind of worked, its now acepted the product key and i then open the game through the short cut it seams like its working but nothing hapens, so i try and do it again and it says football manager 2009 is already running??

once you have pressed the shortcut wait a minute or 2 for the game to load and if it still doesnt load then i`m out of ideas sorry

Hi there,

I'm currently running season 2012. Trying to play a league match against Man City and it keeps on crashing out at different points in the game.

I have never had this problem before.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm running Vista 64

Thanks

I have just bought a new computer and wanted to access FM 09 via Steam as I had this on my previous computer.

Downloaded the steam software and FM and installed it. When I click launch game nothing happens? I have removed all files and started again, but unfortunately no change.

If I press cntrl alt del the fm.exe file is in there but no game launches. I have tried closing this and trying again - but still no joy. Any help greatly appreciated.

Please can someone help. My computer details are:

Operation System Operation System Genuine Windows® XP Home (SP3)

Processor Processor Intel® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.6GHz)

533MHz FSB with 512KB Cache

Main Chipset Main Chipset Intel 945GSE + ICH7M

Memory System Memory 2GB

Display LCD 10.1" WSVGA Glare (1024 x 600) SuperBright© Gloss LED Display

Graphic Graphic Memory 128MB Integrated Graphics

Graphic Processor Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Multimedia Sound HD (High Definition) Audio

Multimedia Player EDS (Enhanced Digital Sound) Effect

Storage HDD 160GB SATA 5400RPM

Really frustrating that FM won't load........

• Administrators

The game does not officially support netbooks, but if you can get them to work then I guess they work. Just bear in mind no testing has taken place on them so we're not 100% how systems will react to them.

• Administrators

Have you got the 9.3 patch installed?

Hi there,

I'm currently running season 2012. Trying to play a league match against Man City and it keeps on crashing out at different points in the game.

I have never had this problem before.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm running Vista 64

Thanks

Archived