Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
arsenalthebest

Players ignore crossing Instuctions

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi my players seems to be doing the opposite of how I instruct them to cross - I ask to cross low they cross high/floated

here is my tactic

 

I edit the mentality based on who I’m playing also I sometimes change the Inside Forward to a winger

CD13987B-7E7E-44BA-B88D-02BE42E5F1B1.jpeg

Edited by arsenalthebest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your tactic looks pretty much imbalanced, including the setup of roles and duties (among other things).

45 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

I edit the mentality based on who I’m playing

When you change the mentality, you automatically change a lot of other things (tempo, passing style and passing risk, attacking width, pressing intensity, def line and LOE). Because mentality affects everything.

 

48 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

also I sometimes change the Inside Forward to a winger

Which  is likely to further compound the issue you have with crossing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can any of this affect the type a cross a player is trying to attempt?

i don’t see any type of crosses being more or less risky in any way just crossing in it self is a more risky manouver.

i could just see the fact that higher mentalities have a higher level of creative freedom makes the player skip your instructions and look for a better opportunity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CARRERA said:

i could just see the fact that higher mentalities have a higher level of creative freedom makes the player skip your instructions and look for a better opportunity 

And he is playing on the highest possible mentality, with both strikers on attack duty at that, and most of the time against narrow and packed defenses that look to deny his team as much space in the attacking third as possible. Plus using the "Be more expressive" instructions (though I fear that even without this TI, his players would continue to cross the way they already do, simply because they are lacking options). Simply put, he is asking his players to do things that are mutually conflicting.

His setup of roles and duties suits a rather counter-attacking style, but then other instructions run counter to such a style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your players might not be getting the option to put in low crosses. Over the next few matches, pause every time one of your players crosses, and have a look at their situation.

  • Have they gotten to the byline, or are they crossing from deep? 
  • Do they have time on the ball, or are they rushing the cross because they're under pressure?
  • Is there space for the low cross, or is the box packed with defenders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Your tactic looks pretty much imbalanced, including the setup of roles and duties (among other things).

When you change the mentality, you automatically change a lot of other things (tempo, passing style and passing risk, attacking width, pressing intensity, def line and LOE). Because mentality affects everything.

 

Which  is likely to further compound the issue you have with crossing.

Ok thanks I might tweek a few things like change ap to support duty (I thought it was on support maybe I changed it accidentally)

It’s actually working very well I have played about 25-30 games so far and lost 1 and drawn 2 with some big wins (beating City 4-1 and Liverpool 5-1 were the best) tbh i took the wrong screenshot I rarely play on very attacking usually  attacking or positive 

but if you have any suggestions on what to change (I’d prefer to keep an attacking/positive mentality) so it’s more balanced it would be appreciated 

Edited by arsenalthebest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

t’s actually working very well I have played about 25-30 games so far and lost 1 and drawn 2 with some big wins beating City 4-1 and Liverpool 5-1 were the best)

If you are having so impressive results with your tactic, I really cannot understand why would you bother yourself with such a minor "issue" as crossing.

 

4 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

but if you have any suggestions on what to change (I’d prefer to keep an attacking/positive mentality) so it’s more balanced it would be appreciated 

Can you post your actual tactic then? Because you said:

5 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

i took the wrong screenshot I rarely play on very attacking usually  attacking or positive

Are there some other differences, or just mentality?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

If you are having so impressive results with your tactic, I really cannot understand why would you bother yourself with such a minor "issue" as crossing.

 

Can you post your actual tactic then? Because you said:

Are there some other differences, or just mentality?

I’ll post my my proper tactic  ASAP Usually I have it on attacking mentality  or positive if playing against better teams away  i rotate a fair bit but that is pretty much my first team apart from 1/2 players

 

the crossing isn’t to big an issue I was just wondering if there was a reason behind it

Edited by arsenalthebest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, arsenalthebest said:

CD13987B-7E7E-44BA-B88D-02BE42E5F1B1.jpeg

 

10 hours ago, arsenalthebest said:

I’ll post my my proper tactic  ASAP Usually I have it on attacking mentality  or positive if playing against better teams away  i rotate a fair bit but that is pretty much my first team apart from 1/2 players

 

If the only difference between your proper tactic and this one from the above screenshot is mentality (attacking/positive instead of very attacking), there is no need to post it again. But if there are also differences in terms of roles, duties and instructions, then please post the proper one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

 

If the only difference between your proper tactic and this one from the above screenshot is mentality (attacking/positive instead of very attacking), there is no need to post it again. But if there are also differences in terms of roles, duties and instructions, then please post the proper one. 

 

 

Arsenal 7.jpg

Edited by arsenalthebest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

 

 

Arsenal 7.jpg

As I already said in an earlier post, your tactic is contradictory. While instructions such as much shorter passing, much lower tempo, play out of defence, work ball into box, hold shape counter-press and much higher LOE go hand in hand with possession football, your setup of roles and duties - with both strikers on attack and pretty much disjointed distribution of duties overall - is more suited for counter-attacking styles

Now, given that you are Arsenal, there is no point in playing counter-attacking football, even if you wanted to. Not because your players cannot play that way, but because most opponents will play very defensively against you, so they are not going to leave you enough space for counter-attacks. Which does not mean that you should not use the Counter team instruction. Of course you should, because when an opportunity for a counter occurs from time to time - your players should be encouraged to exploit it (rather than holding shape and thus actually helping the opposition defenses, instead of threatening them with all available weapons).

Since I know this Arsenal team pretty well, I can give you an example of a possible tactic utilizing your 424 system, but one that would be better balanced, both in defense and attack. Keep in mind that 424 is a very top-heavy formation, which requires more tactical sensibility than more balanced systems.

Besides, a change of mentalities usually requires a couple of other tweaks

So if I played on attacking mentality with these starting 11, my basic (starting) tactic would be like this:

PO    DLFsu

IFsu                                         Wat

DLPde     MEZsu

 

WBsu     CDde    CDde     IWBde

SKde

PO - Aubemayang; DLFsu - Lacazette

- shorter passing, default tempo, play out of defence, work ball into box, (one notch) narrower width, overlap right, overlap left

- counter, counter-press, distribute to CBs and FBs

- higher DL, standard LOE, use tighter marking, use offside trap, prevent short GKD

And on Positive mentality (with the same starting 11):

PO     DLFsu

IFsu                                       Wat

DLPde    MEZsu

 

FBat     CDde     CDde     FBsu

SKde

- shorter passing, higher tempo, play out of defence, work ball into box, default width, overlap right (optionally be more expressive)

- counter, counter-press, distribute to CBs and FBs

- higher DL, standard LOE, use tighter marking, use offside trap, prevent short GKD

Now you can compare each of these two setups with your original tactic and see the difference. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :thup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

As I already said in an earlier post, your tactic is contradictory. While instructions such as much shorter passing, much lower tempo, play out of defence, work ball into box, hold shape counter-press and much higher LOE go hand in hand with possession football, your setup of roles and duties - with both strikers on attack and pretty much disjointed distribution of duties overall - is more suited for counter-attacking styles

Now, given that you are Arsenal, there is no point in playing counter-attacking football, even if you wanted to. Not because your players cannot play that way, but because most opponents will play very defensively against you, so they are not going to leave you enough space for counter-attacks. Which does not mean that you should not use the Counter team instruction. Of course you should, because when an opportunity for a counter occurs from time to time - your players should be encouraged to exploit it (rather than holding shape and thus actually helping the opposition defenses, instead of threatening them with all available weapons).

Since I know this Arsenal team pretty well, I can give you an example of a possible tactic utilizing your 424 system, but one that would be better balanced, both in defense and attack. Keep in mind that 424 is a very top-heavy formation, which requires more tactical sensibility than more balanced systems.

Besides, a change of mentalities usually requires a couple of other tweaks

So if I played on attacking mentality with these starting 11, my basic (starting) tactic would be like this:

PO    DLFsu

IFsu                                         Wat

DLPde     MEZsu

 

WBsu     CDde    CDde     IWBde

SKde

PO - Aubemayang; DLFsu - Lacazette

- shorter passing, default tempo, play out of defence, work ball into box, (one notch) narrower width, overlap right, overlap left

- counter, counter-press, distribute to CBs and FBs

- higher DL, standard LOE, use tighter marking, use offside trap, prevent short GKD

And on Positive mentality (with the same starting 11):

PO     DLFsu

IFsu                                       Wat

DLPde    MEZsu

 

FBat     CDde     CDde     FBsu

SKde

- shorter passing, higher tempo, play out of defence, work ball into box, default width, overlap right (optionally be more expressive)

- counter, counter-press, distribute to CBs and FBs

- higher DL, standard LOE, use tighter marking, use offside trap, prevent short GKD

Now you can compare each of these two setups with your original tactic and see the difference. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :thup:

thanks just a few questions for the attack mentality by narrower one notch does that mean one notch from the middle(which is standard according to the game)  or just narrower 

for default width /tempo i guess that means setting the bar to the middle? (fairly wide width for positive & slightly higher tempo for attacking)

 

 

828E602A-C7C6-4C7E-BEAB-58AD2C1AA19E.jpeg

157E9BDE-9965-4D8E-ABE7-DC7BD42A4DA3.jpeg

Edited by arsenalthebest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arsenalthebest said:

hanks just a few questions for the attack mentality by narrower one notch does that mean one notch from the middle(which is standard according to the game)

Yes, standard according to the game :thup:

 

1 hour ago, arsenalthebest said:

for default width /tempo i guess that means setting the bar to the middle?

Yes.

1 hour ago, arsenalthebest said:

(fairly wide width for positive & slightly higher tempo for attacking)

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one thing to add, if you want your players to basicly only act how you set them up you should concider of playing on a structured or very structured shape to limit the creative freedom and improvisation players are allowed to do.

You can also just "Be more disciplined" in the final third. Just always remember the higher the mentality and the more fluid your team shape is the  ore the players are allwoed to do whatever they want or think will be the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

if you want your players to basicly only act how you set them up you should concider of playing on a structured or very structured shape to limit the creative freedom and improvisation players are allowed to do

Please do not confuse team fluidity (FM19) with team shape (FM18 and before). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Please do not confuse team fluidity (FM19) with team shape (FM18 and before). 

yeah however its called, fluidity actually you are right. in the end it basicly is the same tho and does affect creative freedom.

While in FM18 you could use any shape with any duties and mentality assigned in fm 19 it is connected to the number of support duties and mentality. Basicly what i just wanted to say is that decreasing creative freedom (in which whatever way) will lead to a more precise execution of your match plan and instructions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...