DemocraFM

A while ago I came across democraciv , a group of people who play the games from the Civilization series in a cooperative, democratic fashion. 

Ever since I have been wondering how this would work for playing football manager. 

There are many situations in football manager where a group could make better decisions than any individual: signing players and staff, designing tactics, scouting opposition, training, etc. I think that this could work well while allowing less experienced players to learn how to play the game better. 

One issue that I foresee is maintaining pace of playing the game. Generally there will be decisions to be made for each match and there can easily be 50-60 matches in a season. I think a good aim should be to finish 1 season ever month or so(I expect the first one to be slower as we find our feet). This could require a huge amount activity if we plan to finish a few seasons, however, a lot of decisions can be made in advance(squad rotation, how to use tactics to face certain teams etc.). There will need to be ways of rethinking these decisions in reaction to injuries etc. 

democraciv has grown more and more complicated over the years that it has been running and has a full governmental system. I think that we can vastly simplify this initially at least. The key thing IMO is to attempt to keep as much as possible democratic and open to new and old players alike.

This whole project requires people being interested. If people are interested we can set up a discord group and discuss further how to continue. Please post if you are interested and/or have questions about how this will work(a lot of that will be made up as we go along).

Sounds like an interesting ideea but for sure needs a lot of coordination,dedication and time. Unfortunately no time for me but I would be interested in reading about it if you document it. Best of luck and power to the people!

On 10/05/2019 at 17:47, Muttley84 said:

Sounds like an interesting ideea but for sure needs a lot of coordination,dedication and time. Unfortunately no time for me but I would be interested in reading about it if you document it. Best of luck and power to the people!

One of the advantages of a group of people playing is that not everyone has to be around for every decision. 

Two makes a conversation not a democracy :)  We need more people. 

@Lenzar Do you have any ideas on where you want to manage?

I personally have my eye on finding a league with a fairly small number of games to help speed things along. Norway looks good from that prospective. The top two divisions have 16 teams and 30 games+cups. The third tier has 14 teams with 26 games+cups. We could always attempt to bring a fallen giant like Moss back up to the top division of Norway.

5 hours ago, David Corperial said:

I don't have a copy of the newest game, but this sounds interesting so I'm in if this isn't an issue.

It will limit what you can do a bit but you should be able to take part in a lot of the decisions. We should be able to post enough screenshots for most things. Not everyone will want to download a save file frequently. What version do you have?

I always wanted something like this to be portable to Football Manager, but would have wished it was done back when the community was bigger.  I miss the old games where we would have two groups of people on separate saves trying to compete against each other.  I am not sure how much I would participate, but would certainly be interested in seeing how it turns out.

I like the idea of playing in a lesser known league so that people aren't doing things like suggesting we sign all the well known prospects in the game.  For that reason, it might also be interesting to do a save from the future with no real players.

Archived