[SUGGESTION] New Potential Ability System

arajk2908

My suggestion is that the way that potential ability works is changed. The way that it currently is means that all players and staff have a maximum potential ability, but I think that this should be changed to a minimum potential. This means that all players will have a potential that they will reach no matter what happens in their career, but they’d be able to outgrow this under the right coaching and if they are in good form. This would make each save unique as it wouldn’t always have the same players that become world class and could make way for players with a similar career path to Jamie Vardy. 

On 06/05/2019 at 09:00, arajk2908 said:

My suggestion is that the way that potential ability works is changed. The way that it currently is means that all players and staff have a maximum potential ability, but I think that this should be changed to a minimum potential. This means that all players will have a potential that they will reach no matter what happens in their career, but they’d be able to outgrow this under the right coaching and if they are in good form. This would make each save unique as it wouldn’t always have the same players that become world class and could make way for players with a similar career path to Jamie Vardy. 

Would also make the game a lot more realistic because currently there are young player is the game that are already at their full potential and they won’t grow past that whereas in real life they’d continue getting better under the right coaching. 

Big fan of this idea!

However, I wouldn't necessarily make it that players will reach said potential, but rather that they are more likely to reach that minimum potential if they continue to play regularly an receive the best possible training and coaching. Then obviously they have the potential to grow further.

I would then also add the skills a player can grow to are linked to certain ages, as in-game already, players tend to slow down their development when they reach 24. Certain skills can continue to be developed (Set-pieces skills e.g. pens, corners) but the players ability to dribble, their first touch, etc. may not develop that much further depending.

4 hours ago, Schmidy said:

Big fan of this idea!

However, I wouldn't necessarily make it that players will reach said potential, but rather that they are more likely to reach that minimum potential if they continue to play regularly an receive the best possible training and coaching. Then obviously they have the potential to grow further.

I would then also add the skills a player can grow to are linked to certain ages, as in-game already, players tend to slow down their development when they reach 24. Certain skills can continue to be developed (Set-pieces skills e.g. pens, corners) but the players ability to dribble, their first touch, etc. may not develop that much further depending.

I see where you’re coming from, but my idea of a minimum potential is that the players PA would be set quite low. For example an 18 year old player with a CA of 100 would have a PA of 110. If he was to only play a few games each season he’d reach that potential but wouldn’t be able to get much better than that. However if he was playing week in week out he’d be able to outgrow that potential. 

The problem lies in the fact that FM is a game. Players will figure out the stresses and weaknesses of such a system, and eventually it becomes Poster X's guide to 200CA players.

Even that aside, while we don't know an individuals true potential and have to hazard a guess at best, the reality is potential is limited. Whether that's your ability to lift weight, how fast you can run 100m or how well you can play football. There are limits. The current PA system is representative of that fact.

Archived