How Do I Meet In The Middle

Hows it going everyone. I'm having my first campaign with Chelsea and I'm currently 3rd with 14 games to go and I'm in the League Cup final. Overall I'm pleased with the season but theirs one thing I'm disappointed with. I want my players to score various types of goals instead one particular kind. I've got my tactic on control possession, mixed crosses and work ball into the box. Before I had it on mixed crosses, hit early crosses and shoot on site. My team played well with this style of play, but my striker wasn't scoring much and their were no headed/crossed goals what so ever. Just pretty much straight through the middle and occasional free kick. After I changed it to work ball into the box.. theirs hardly any goals through the middle now, just crossed goals lol, so I can't win. How did I get it to have various different ways to score instead of one style of goals and which would say is the best/strongest style long term.

This is how my team is lined up

• Control Possession
  • Balanced 
  • In Possession
  • (Play Out Of Defence, Hit Early Crosses, Run At Defence, Shoot On Sight, Stay Disciplined, Passing Directness (Standard), Tempo (Standard),
  • In Transition
  • Take Short Kicks, Distribute To Centre Backs, Distribute To Full Backs, Counter, Counter-Press)
  • Prevent Short GK Distribution, Pressing Intensity (Standard), Tackling (Get Stuck In), Defensive Line (Standard), Line Of Engagement (Standard)
  • Midfielders/Forwards
  • Kante (BWM, Defend)  Loftus-Cheek (Deep Lying Playmaker, Support)
  • Willian (W, Attack) Rodriguez (AM, Attack), Hazard (W, Attack)
  • Morata (CF, Attack)

If you want a better variety of goals then you need to use roles that actually allow for this. It's hard to give you any advice though without seeing how you're set up. If you could maybe add some more details and show people what you are using currently, then any advice given will be more specific. Without the details, all advice is just general advice which likely won't be of any use to yourself :)

• Control Possession
  • Balanced 
  • In Possession
  • (Play Out Of Defence, Hit Early Crosses, Run At Defence, Shoot On Sight, Stay Disciplined, Passing Directness (Standard), Tempo (Standard),
  • In Transition
  • Take Short Kicks, Distribute To Centre Backs, Distribute To Full Backs, Counter, Counter-Press)
  • Prevent Short GK Distribution, Pressing Intensity (Standard), Tackling (Get Stuck In), Defensive Line (Standard), Line Of Engagement (Standard)
  • Midfielders/Forwards
  • Morata (CF, Attack)

Some of your problems is probably 'cause you have your front 4 all on attack duty. I also don't know how you control possesion with settings like hit early crosses, run at the defense, shoot on sight. If you want to control possession you need to be patient. Those settings are not helping with that. As a matter of fact, those instructions help you lose the ball more quickly.

Wait for the answers from more expirienced players, in the meantime write the rest of your lineup. There is eleven players on the pitch.

3 hours ago, yolixeya said:

Some of your problems is probably 'cause you have your front 4 all on attack duty. I also don't know how you control possesion with settings like hit early crosses, run at the defense, shoot on sight

Absolutely spot on :thup:

Having too many attack duties up front does not mean good and successful attacking performance. Balance is key. Who creates an how? Who penetrates from deep and how? Who attacks spaces up front and how? Who covers defensively for those bombing forward? These are just a few questions you need to ask yourself first before you can start making a sensible tactic that works.

4 hours ago, DrogbaCFC said:
  • Midfielders/Forwards
  • Morata (CF, Attack)

And what about defenders? Who is playing there and which roles and duties are they assigned to? The same question goes for the goalkeeper.

Last but not least, why have you opted precisely for the 4231 system? Based on what reasoning do you believe it's the right setup for Chelsea?

6 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Absolutely spot on :thup:

Having too many attack duties up front does not mean good and successful attacking performance. Balance is key. Who creates an how? Who penetrates from deep and how? Who attacks spaces up front and how? Who covers defensively for those bombing forward? These are just a few questions you need to ask yourself first before you can start making a sensible tactic that works.

And what about defenders? Who is playing there and which roles and duties are they assigned to? The same question goes for the goalkeeper.

Last but not least, why have you opted precisely for the 4231 system? Based on what reasoning do you believe it's the right setup for Chelsea?

• Goalkeeper
  • Oblak (G, Defend)
  • Defenders
  • Azpilicueta (FB, Automatic)
  • Rudiger (NCB, Stopper)
  • Christensen (CD, Defend)
  • Alonso (WB, Automatic)

Overall my season so far is pretty good, apart from the variety of goals. I'm 3rd in the league with 9 games to go, I made the League Cup final (but unfortunately lost to Arsenal 3-2), I'm in the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup and Round of 16 of the Europa League. Top 4 is priority but would be nice to win the FA or Europa. Hazard is top goalscorer in the league and Oblak is 4th most clean sheets. If we could sort out the variety of goals, I'd be happy. 

P.S I understand what your saying about the early crosses (pretty silly and loses possession) and same players all in attack. Who would you suggest support the attacking players then. Hazard is on 27 goals with 11 assists and Morata is on 21 goals with 10 assists. Willian and Rodriguez have also done quite well, too.

P.S I just want the right balance where Morata or the other three can score some crosses, but also score goals from outside the box (long shots too).. instead of the same kind of goals. It does happen sometimes, but not enough for my liking. I'd also like to dominate possession most games and play out from the back (keep a lot of clean sheets).

P.S Not having the right tactic is ruining the game a little bit and putting me off it.

16 minutes ago, DrogbaCFC said:

• Goalkeeper
  • Oblak (G, Defend)
  • Defenders
  • Azpilicueta (FB, Automatic)
  • Rudiger (NCB, Stopper)
  • Christensen (CD, Defend)
  • Alonso (WB, Automatic)

Overall my season so far is pretty good, apart from the variety of goals. I'm 3rd in the league with 9 games to go, I made the League Cup final (but unfortunately lost to Arsenal 3-2), I'm in the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup and Round of 16 of the Europa League. Top 4 is priority but would be nice to win the FA or Europa. Hazard is top goalscorer in the league and Oblak is 4th most clean sheets. If we could sort out the variety of goals, I'd be happy. 

P.S I understand what your saying about the early crosses (pretty silly and loses possession) and same players all in attack. Who would you suggest support the attacking players then. Hazard is on 27 goals with 11 assists and Morata is on 21 goals with 10 assists. Willian and Rodriguez have also done quite well, too.

P.S I just want the right balance where Morata or the other three can score some crosses, but also score goals from outside the box (long shots too).. instead of the same kind of goals. It does happen sometimes, but not enough for my liking. I'd also like to dominate possession most games and play out from the back (keep a lot of clean sheets).

P.S Not having the right tactic is ruining the game a little bit and putting me off it.

Take a look at this thread I've just created ;)

I hate this ****ing game I do lol, its never agreed with me ever since I brought fm18 over a year ago. I hate it, but I keep playing it though lol. Away games against big teams, I can't remembering winning one in fm18 or fm19, at all. Its complicated as hell and scripted too ****. Okay, its fun when you win.. but it never usually lasts that long and the season always gets ruined one way or another. I just want to win and play it straight forward.. like the simulation on fifa. why does it have to be so hard and complicated?

2 hours ago, DrogbaCFC said:

like the simulation on fifa. why does it have to be so hard and complicated?

Well, that's exactly your issue. FM is a really serious simulation of real-life football, and therefore requires considerable knowledge of football tactics (and not only tactics). That's why I love FM so much. If it were in any sense like FIFA (or other similarly naive games), I would never ever play it.

The game is not that hard, there are plenty of players overachieving. I had a similiar problem like you. I played championship manger 01-02, that's the first manager I played, and back then it was really easy beacause there was less tinkering you could do and therefore less likely to f*** up your tactic. Then I stopped playing maybe at FM07 or 08, didn't play for years, and when I got back I picked Real Madrid and got sacked halfway through first season.

What I would advise you is to read some of the threads on this forum from players who had success with their tactics, see how they got their ideas, how they approach things, some of those threads are very detailed. Read one thread a day, in 30 days you will be a lot more competent in creating your own tactic.

You don't really have to have some deep tactical knowledge, you just need the basics so you don't set up something that has no chance working. And from there, experiment and observe, you can only get better with time.

Archived