Can very narrow formations play control possession?

Currently at PSG, and like the idea of mbappe and cavani up front, with neymar in behind them, so I'm playing a 442 diamond narrow formation, with a half back. Results aren't great so far, but the main problem being neither striker dropping deep to help link play. But say I fixed that, maybe by getting firmino as cavani gets older, is there some inherently flawed with trying to play possession in a formation this narrow? 

Yes you can have narrow systems generating very high rates of possession, my 4312 system can generate 70% possession when i want to just go thumping sides. The cost of doing that is the quality you need. I can do that with Liverpool, but i will be absolutely shattered if i applied the same strategy with Stalybridge i'd get thumped.

Agreed. Yes it can.

I'm playing the WM formation which, whilst having wingers, does play fairly narrow. The overload of 4 DM/MC's creates an incredible support structure generally having a passing option at all times.

Which roles do you have on your strikers? If they are both attacking type roles AND you have an attacking mentality (guess you do as PSG) then do not expect them to drop deep. Maybe trya DLF(S) or False9.

This is how I'm playing right now. Any obvious faults? I realise the fault in the strikers being so advanced, but those two are not very keen to come deep haha. I will try another role. 4312, what effect would moving gueye into central midfield have?

Screenshot (11).png

Too many roaming roles up front, including the mezzala. Your TIs - lower tempo, short pass, POD, WBIB - suggest you want to play a patient possession game, but then roles and (especially) duties suggest otherwise. The left flank potentially vulnerable to opposition counters.

I also use a narrow diamond 442 with Man Utd. I'll show you what my primary (usual) set up of roles and duties looks like, maybe it gives you some idea (though I don't insist on possession football too much):

F9     PFat

TQ

DLPde   CAR

HB

WBat     CDde    BPDde    (C)WBsu

Positive / play out of def, shorter pass, higher tempo, play wider, be more expressive (sometimes WBiB, but not always) / counter, distribute (quickly) to CBs & FBs / higher DL, higher (sometimes standard) LOE, prevent short GKD, tighter marking, offside trap

Your trequartista is already occupying space between the lines. Combine that with mezala and advanced playmaker and now you have 3 players occupying the space between the lines. Only space left for your strikers now is the lateral space into the channels which is correct behaviour. 

If you want your strikers to occupy space deep, you will need your centre midfielders to occupy space elsewhere. Try changing your AP to DLP and mezala attack to mezala support. Let me know if it works.

I have been playing this Diamond tactic for now 11 seasons.

Between 60-65% of possession in Ligue 1 - France with a mid-table team.

Frwd     Frwd

Eng

MezSup  MezSup

HB

FBdef     CDde    BPDde    FBdef

the 2 Mezzallas are very efficient with the Enganche  who controls and dictates the play.

IO are important :

• I request to my Mezz to stay wide when the team has the ball (which is not to stick the line !!!) , and to dribble more (to create space - as their run would be from a position with no opponent)
  • The FB have defensive mentality but they are requested to move forward and to stay narrow (not wide)

TO are adjusted too

• usually balanced mentality, and I swith from defensive to offensive depending on the mentality of the opponent
  • No counter pressing - ineffective as the team is too narrow,
  • normal Defensive Line but high line of engagement : to avoid the counter attack, to get a solid defensive base and to be ready to counter attack - with ahigher defensive Line, the Forward attackers are useless, they need space
  • short passing but higher tempo

Archived