Month-to-month contracts

I am experiencing two frustrations in my game at present related to expired contracts:

1. The contract of my inherited DoF expired in the summer yet he remains at the club on a rolling contract. Ideally I'd like to turf him out and install my own man/get rid entirely, but there seems to be no mechanism for me to do this, or way to suggest to the board to change him?

2. A Scottish striker had his contract expire over the summer, yet if I try to sign him for my English club I have to pay compensation. He's been on a rolling contract for four months now and shows no signs of leaving. This doesn't strike me as very realistic, unless a player had a bad injury record a club would either give him a new deal or he would leave (he was a regular starter last season). I remember having the same problem in a much older version of FM, seems nothing has been done to fix it!

23 minutes ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

1. The contract of my inherited DoF expired in the summer yet he remains at the club on a rolling contract. Ideally I'd like to turf him out and install my own man/get rid entirely, but there seems to be no mechanism for me to do this, or way to suggest to the board to change him?

In the staff responsibilities section, who is listed as responsible for hiring/firing DoF?

1/ Could be that one of the board demands is to keep DOF if there is no option to terminate contract, also check your staff responsibilities to see if its you or the chairman that renews the DOF contract. You could offer the job to someone new and when they accept, it should ask if you want to replace the current DOF, usually there is a cost involved but if hes out of contract then i wouldnt think there would be. 

2/ If hes under a certain age (think 24), then compensation is due to the scottish club for developing the player, even if his contract has expired, if hes still at the club then they will be entitled to the compensation

1 hour ago, deaks500 said:

2/ If hes under a certain age (think 24), then compensation is due to the scottish club for developing the player, even if his contract has expired, if hes still at the club then they will be entitled to the compensation

Yup he's 23, though given he's actually English and only joined them a couple of years earlier I'm not sure how much 'developing' they've really done. I certainly can't afford the fee in any case!

Are there any RL parallel where a player and a club are happy to proceed on a month-to-month basis after expiry of contract? I doubt either club or player would appreciate the uncertainty involved.

It happens but is rare. Stoke City do it with players who have had a lengthy injury and then their contract expires. They keep them on a month to month deal to assess their fitness and worth to the team when they recover rather than just release them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2019 at 22:45, Nobby_McDonald said:

It happens but is rare. Stoke City do it with players who have had a lengthy injury and then their contract expires. They keep them on a month to month deal to assess their fitness and worth to the team when they recover rather than just release them.

This guy has not been seriously injured

UPDATE: The player decided to leave then immediately accepted a contract from Alloa Athletic, giving me no chance to offer a contract. WTH?!?!

Archived