How much influence do I have on winning a lower league game?

I’m playing in the Scottish league 2 but cannot seem to string together wins very well. I lose matches the media expects me to win. I may need advice on appropriate tactics for lower league management and what kind of players to buy. I usually buy players that can pass the ball and move.

can a manager in the lower league be very successful?

In a lower league, I would pay more attention to players' mental strength (determination, bravery, aggression, work-rate) and physical abilities (strength, jumping, acceleration...) than their technical abilities. Of course, it's good to have a couple of decent passers (by LLM standards), but you cannot expect to find a lot of them on that level.

As for the tactical approach, try to keep it as simple as possible. Simply because LL players will hardly be capable of putting any "fancy" tactic/playing style into effect. Some sort of simple "hoofball" or direct counter-attacking football usually works nicely in lower leagues. And IMO systems employing 2 strikers are a better choice (simple flat 442 or 532).

7 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

In a lower league, I would pay more attention to players' mental strength (determination, bravery, aggression, work-rate) and physical abilities (strength, jumping, acceleration...) than their technical abilities. Of course, it's good to have a couple of decent passers (by LLM standards), but you cannot expect to find a lot of them on that level.

As for the tactical approach, try to keep it as simple as possible. Simply because LL players will hardly be capable of putting any "fancy" tactic/playing style into effect. Some sort of simple "hoofball" or direct counter-attacking football usually works nicely in lower leagues. And IMO systems employing 2 strikers are a better choice (simple flat 442 or 532).

Thanks. I may be focusing to much on players technical ability and I should consider their all round game and look at what players would work well together in a tactic i.e a pacey full back who can run down the flank and get a cross to a tall forward with good heading and jumping and acceleration.

It’s back to the drawing board for now but success will come

ED is very correct in his comments on the mental strength. I have been playing East Stirling up, so I was just where you are now and getting players with decent determination (as I tended to trail early in many matches when starting) helped a lot. Speed also kills at lower levels and playing a 442 with a fast (or good OTB) striker and a couple pacey wingers kept me creating good chances on the counter-attacking style I am playing.

An example of the influence you can have on winning, and how lower league tactics have to fit the players you have:

Starting in Southern League Premier South, took a look at my squad, and chose a 4-1-4-1 DM. Right side chose a IF for that player, and for often-advised "variance", I chose a winger for the left side. The winger had decent crossing, good dribbling, flair, pace/agility/acceleration. Perfect for winger, right?

His match ratings for the first 10 games were 6.6, 6.4, 6.3, 6.2, 6.4, 8.4, 6.5, 6.4, 6.5, 6.4.   1 assist and 1 goal.

But I kept watching the tactic, seeing how he was often losing the ball, drifting in, and being in the wrong area. Then, switched him to an IF(so a 2 IF formation now).

Next 10 games: 7.2, 7.1, 6.8, 8.3, 7.2, 6.4, 7.2, 6.8, 7.0, 6.6.   6 goals.

So take a good evaluation of your players, what roles and positions they're best at. Then try and piece together a formation from that. Finally, watch the match in detail, see what happens, and tweak things to fit the players and team.

How much influence do I have on winning a lower league game?

My opinion of the question in the title is this: you have more influence the lower down you go. When you manage a top side you can't really know how much it's your tactics and how much it's your expensive players/reputation of the club influencing the outcome. But in the basement level, you don't have and can't get quality players; furthermore, the opposition is equally crap so it's a level playing field.  As such, you can be sure that success or failure is more down to your tactical acumen and man-management skills than further up the pyramid.

Archived