Discussion - A model to make FM an E-Sport.

Let's start the conversation. Football Manager has the capacity to be an E-Sport in my opinion - despite at times having RNG.

My idea. 

The first FM Major will have just 8 players involved (in future will expand to have multiple divisions to incorporate promotion and relegation). 

8 team tournament spanning a weekend. The start of each season (4 majors - November - January - April - August) a draft takes place (games played and tournament managed within the real game not the draft crap).

Tournament is a straight knockout - with winners and losers bracket. All teams play 3 full matches on a weekend can be expanded to 16 if goes well. Each team ends up placed First to Last with Last place being a relegation place for lower division tournament. 

Ideally, matches would be played on full match - or comprehensive highlights at a minimum IN 3D.

At the start of each following event, players can only retain 12 players from their 20 man squad and a draft takes place at the start of the next event to rebuild squads etc - trades can take place at this point for players and draft positions but squads must be 20 players.

Additionally, football clubs may opt to be involved having their own FM E-Sport team however it is prohibited that they can impose a minimum number of players within their squad to be drafted into their e-players squad (Watford cannot dictate that 5 Watford players must be in their participants squad - though they can supply badge and kit images and info for their player).

Thoughts and expansions. Let's start the conversation here.

• 2 weeks later...

FM can be an E-Sport hell just look at the creator's cup, Each person draft a team and they play a best of 3. Just an expansion of the Creators Cup to include some other fans and there you have it full on E-Sport. 

I would just bet there would soon be some exploits, mabye very ugly tactics out that would kill a lot of Immersion showing how the game can be "gamed" by pros and that it isnt that realistic after all when you use all the loopholes and the resulting competition could look very little like actual football. Of course this would provide an awesome basis to improve the product a lot. Not saying this game isnt good or anything, you just wont be able to tell pros.."Its your tactics", the other way round, its a possibility someone says: "Its your flawed engine that made me play 2-3-5 basically always, because i scientfifally  found out it gets the best results." I think the complexity we see in it would soon be broken down to very few "Win" categories and tactis, not saying they wont be countered, but as i said it could very well be a game of its own then that totally could not look like proper football anymore. That would totally break the game and be hatd to watch for some, on the other hand it could be the beginnig of a hard way to a much improved game.

Edited by GerdMuller

• 6 months later...

I think this is a great idea, actually.  I have been thinking about organizing an e-Sport league for quite some time and have even started to develop a concept for it that includes a PowerPoint presentation.  The first two slides are attached to this post.  If you are interested in the whole deck or adding ideas, send me a post or message.

In a nutshell, the concept is similar to Albert's idea of starting small with 8 teams.  At its core, this would be a grassroots initiative, started for managers like us, for the good of the FM game and to make it a better experience for all that are interested.  At first it would be pretty basic competition, just as Albert has alluded to, with the teams playing in a league / cup throughout the year with an agreed-upon set of rules by all.  Via an iterative process, we would improve the organization of the league and eventually come up with a format that includes several teams and divisions, including promotion and relegation, that is very professional on how it is managed and enforced, with perhaps a paid monthly membership.  The end result is to mimic as much as possible the current organization of leagues in the real world but migrate it to a virtual setting.

Would there be e-managers trying to "beat the system"?  Of course!  But this is to be expected, especially in the initial stages, but the end result in the long term would be a much better game play and also provide an incentive to the FM programmers to improve the game further. 

Let's continue talking!

FM E-League Concept DRAFT.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Andy H locked this topic