Watford FM 19

Carlf788

So after getting sacked by the crazy new chairman on my tycoon takeover Newcastle save  I wanted to start a new save in the Premier League and have chosen Watford as I reckon they have all the potential to break into the top 6.

I have got rid of the deadwood and pretty much rebuilt the defence from scratch as it isn't great to start with to say the least. 

I sold, success 5m, Kiko femenia 5m, mariappa 4m, prodl 5m, janmaat 8m, Cathcart 6m as well as some deadnwood which raised 40m to add to the very generous starting budget of 37m giving me a lot to buy a new defence and get some young talent in. 

I will post my incoming  transfers below. 

Penaranda up front is amazing and they have a few 5* potential players in the youth team as well as a couple of good players out on loan so there is solid foundations to build on. I'm aiming to crack that top 6, win a cup and be regulars in Europe before making the champions league and winning the league! Fingers crossed this is my first real long term save on fm19 so far!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I always do a Watford save each year.

I made a 41221 with high press and a lot of runs from midfield and having fullbacks overlapping and we did well, finishing in 5th I think.

I brought in De Ligt on big wages and Tonali to develop and take over from Capoue/Cleverley. Really should have invested more in the back line. Masina did fairly well, Kabasele was wanted by Chelsea and PSG for a while and Doucoure was immense all season long. Provided he stays fit, Deulofeu will be a £60m player within a season playing either a winger or IF down the right.

Always good fun to do a Watford save! 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve landed at Watford doing my own version of the SAF Challenge.. just completed my first season, finishing a fairly modest 13th.

Deulofeu was immense at first, but hasn’t been the same since suffering a 6 week injury. I signed Izquierdo from Brighton as backup, and he scores the occasional screamer. 

Kabasele is great at the back, and the midfield is pretty strong in general.

Deeney up top is good but not consistent enough for me.. still managed to be my top scorer, but Peñaralda is breathing down his neck and provided he gets a WP, I intend on using Hernandez next season. It wouldn’t go down well to get rid of Deeney though, so I’ll be reducing his squad status and seeing how things pan out. 

Overall I’m keen not to shift too many players in one go. The back line needs work but I’m willing to wait a couple of transfer windows rather than ripping it to shreds straight away. Holebas, for instance, is getting on a bit but is still a decent enough squad player until his contract runs down. Same can be said for Mariappa/Cathcart. 

Initally I was keen to replace Foster in goal, but he seems to play better than his stats suggest so I’m actually really happy with him.

The midfield is strong, which is great but it makes it difficult to give them all the playing time they want. Cleverley was injured when I joined, so he’s the one that will be making way as he just never got the chance to make a good first impression. I’m more than happy with Chalobah, Capoue, Doucoure, Pereyra & Hughes. 

So yea, a decent squad with a little work needed - but no major overhaul required in my opinion. I’m happy to take a patient approach, using loans for depth and waiting for the right players to become available. 

Archived