Struggling to create and defend 4141 DM Wide

I’m new and would apperciate any help that comes my way, in my second season with Cardiff and although we are overachieving I’ve not hit a slump in which I can’t figure out what’s gone wrong. We can’t defend anymore half my goals conceded are by crosses and corners, against big teams we are conceding 30 shots a game. Now when we attack Reid is isolated I tried deep lying forward on support and attack but nobody seems to be up with him to support so usually just losses the ball and the team is so deep I’ve tried pushing the line up, upping mentality and so on maybe it’s the lack of qaulity but I’m sure it’s my tactic as i was decent with the players I had to stay up last season. Apologies for long winded help message new here :). 

ECF25A3C-DB9E-452B-9F17-080C5E6AE5ED.jpeg

6 hours ago, Marcusbrown97@hotmail.com said:

I’m new and would apperciate any help that comes my way, in my second season with Cardiff and although we are overachieving I’ve not hit a slump in which I can’t figure out what’s gone wrong. We can’t defend anymore half my goals conceded are by crosses and corners, against big teams we are conceding 30 shots a game. Now when we attack Reid is isolated I tried deep lying forward on support and attack but nobody seems to be up with him to support so usually just losses the ball and the team is so deep I’ve tried pushing the line up, upping mentality and so on maybe it’s the lack of qaulity but I’m sure it’s my tactic as i was decent with the players I had to stay up last season. Apologies for long winded help message new here :). 

ECF25A3C-DB9E-452B-9F17-080C5E6AE5ED.jpeg

Anybody? Really lost for ideas 

Why start with a clean sheet? If I were you I would start with one of the preset tactics that plays the type of football that appeals to you and adjust the individual instructions according to how you see the game playing out. Incidentally, your original post was made at about 2.00 am UK time when most people in Europe were probably sleeping so you’d be very lucky to receive a speedy reply.

ideally How I wanted to play was control possession but simply don’t have the players for it now we’re considerably weaker compared to other teams my plan b was direct counter which I couldn’t work striker it isolation most of the time and the times we do get a little bit of possession it’s a hero ball that’s usually cleared out and we’re on the back foot. A lot of teams just attack against us but can’t attack the space I have tried roles like advanced forward to exploit that but no joy. Only started playing fm last year so still a newbie 

11 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Why start with a clean sheet? If I were you I would start with one of the preset tactics that plays the type of football that appeals to you and adjust the individual instructions according to how you see the game playing out. Incidentally, your original post was made at about 2.00 am UK time when most people in Europe were probably sleeping so you’d be very lucky to receive a speedy reply.

^

Look at the split of your duties.  Your back 5 is all defend and support then 3 of your front 5 are attack.  Its likely there's a lack of support for the forwards as they're being more attacking and pushing up but then the back 5 will be more patient and not get forward until later when its safer.

Changing mentality won't really change this as it will make everyone more attacking or cautious.  Changing the ST will isolate him a bit less but won't change she. The back 5 get forward.

You've over achieved as per your own statement so things will become harder. More teams will be happy for a point instead of expecting an easy 3 points. 

4141 DM Wide leaves space on the flanks especially behind an attack duty.  Are your FBs good enough? Can the CM pair get across to help? How good are your defenders at dealing with crosses? Maybe defend wider to put players closer to crossers but this could allow more space in the middle, can your central players still cover the middle? A three should be able to if the have the attributes.

Rashidi has a whole video on how he sets up set pieces so I'd watch that.  Consider adding set pieces to training I'd its that much of an issue.

21 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

Look at the split of your duties.  Your back 5 is all defend and support then 3 of your front 5 are attack.  Its likely there's a lack of support for the forwards as they're being more attacking and pushing up but then the back 5 will be more patient and not get forward until later when its safer.

Changing mentality won't really change this as it will make everyone more attacking or cautious.  Changing the ST will isolate him a bit less but won't change she. The back 5 get forward.

You've over achieved as per your own statement so things will become harder. More teams will be happy for a point instead of expecting an easy 3 points. 

4141 DM Wide leaves space on the flanks especially behind an attack duty.  Are your FBs good enough? Can the CM pair get across to help? How good are your defenders at dealing with crosses? Maybe defend wider to put players closer to crossers but this could allow more space in the middle, can your central players still cover the middle? A three should be able to if the have the attributes.

Rashidi has a whole video on how he sets up set pieces so I'd watch that.  Consider adding set pieces to training I'd its that much of an issue.

Just want to say a massive thank you dropping my cm from a (a) to a (s) really helped as I had to cm’s as recycle options and they’d take turns on being at the edge of the box also switching defensive width wide helped. Still learning as I’ve been preaching but 3/2 attack duties up front can just lead to ugly football relying solely on individual brilliance or is it the case of getting the roles right? I also have a problem against two striker formations where they wreck havoc against me constantly getting in behind but I think that’s because taunzebe has mark opponent tightly ppm? 

Archived